Card/Deck Making Gruul do more than stompy, or make stompy Gruul more interesting?

if you have the fixing to run tricolor cards, this fellow is also spicy for a go wide deck:

And i feel whites contribution to the tokens deck more or less goes without saying, just so many good token producers in that color. Such as General Ferrous Rokiric!
Note that in 2021 you can also populate Treasures and Clues with Ghired and Chariot if you desire

Here is one of the decks I wanted to post last night. Now that I'm on the computer, it's much easier. Here's the CC link if you want to view it that way: https://cubecobra.com/cube/deck/60d5e579f4ee6f106025cc96 Thanks to @Nanonox for this awesome deck!

This is about as close as a drafter can get to the platonic ideal of RG in my format, as far as I'm concerned. There are several layers to the deck here that all contribute to a pretty brutal gameplan. Here are some of the components of my RG section in action:
Add lands to the Equation:

We are talking just building up the number of lands that are available to you in general, as a hand, graveyard, and board resource.

Cash in the Hand Lands:

When I say "red spends the lands", I mean not just from tapping mana! I mean they spend them as a general resource.

Cash in the Lands going to the Battlefield:

Pretty much as was discussed in posts above, all these lands getting added to our pile of resources means we can power some big plays/spells/abilities. Flashback, scavenge, etc help fill in the middle/later game as payoff for building a large bank of lands. Kazandu Mammoth just hits like a tank thanks to the consistent flow of lands (including consistent availability of fetches!)

Cash in the Lands going to the Graveyard:

(Lands and other things, of course). This part of the deck finishes the tripod of land resource usage, and adds "engine" to the deck. Especially the classic combo of

Breach in particular is an excellent addition to my format. In this deck, fueled by the Lootings etc, it can power out some immense spell velocity from this little chunk of deck:
1626527121582.png

All in all, though "lands" ties a lot of what the deck is doing together, it's not that it's just the "Siesmic Assault Loam" land-slinging that might be pictured when "lands" is mentioned. It's the holistic usage of lands as a game resource moreso than just a mana resource.

Last edited:
The issue I have is that it seems all the tokens or actual go-wide cards are in other colors, but not green. The exception are cards like Eisak's Chariot, which costs a lot of mana, and Joraler, which is a Temur card.

I suspect it's fine for all my payoffs (Earthcraft, Garruk Wildspeaker, etc.) to be in green but I would like some cheaper enablers too.

Usually turns out muuuch more on the annoying side of things than the fun side of things.

An issue that I've come to have with token themes in general is the negative affect they can have on board clutter and creature combat overall. I'm not saying the theme can't work for a format, I just think it can get slapped into a format and expected to "play nice". Tokens can really mess up how the board looks if they aren't counterbalanced in some way. I personally like my board states to be lean and mean, with a lot of blocking and trading and removal etc. Tokens can really contribute to stalls in ways that go against that goal.

What I'm getting at, is the format needs to be able to handle a deck/decks that pile "expendable" dudes onto the board. Make sure to have some pyroclasm/Infest effects maybe, or maybe a pinger effect or two. Trample/ways to grant trample. Repeatable Removal effects. etc. etc.

Man I'm way to slow at replying :D Discussion has turned around and already circled back.

Creature "Storm"

A wild mix of +1/+1 counters, madness, draw 7s and lots of casting hasty creatures.

@sigh
Sounds like a fun deck, but I do worry that the "enablers" section is a tad parasitic. If your cube can utilize that type of effect in different decks, then it seems decently viable, otherwise it will have the same issue that traditional storm does. Just being it's own deck off on the side.

"Whenever you cast your second/third spell" would be another angle for payoffs.
That's a really cool idea and Vengevine is the perfect card for what I have in mind. Sadly it's out of my budget range and I don't want to open Pandora's Box that is running proxies/customs.

Crossing over into Temur for Song of Creation and Quandrix Apprentice looks super fun.
... cool deck ...
Great example (and breakdown) of a deck and what I'm aiming for with my cube. It's just so satisfying when all the pieces come together from different angles to build a cohesive gameplan.

@Brad
Thrasta might suck, but it's really cool. Seems difficult to evaluate, as the MV fluctuates a lot. Project and Whisperer depend how fast the format is and if you can afford to have a kind of soft turn 4. Empty and Chatter depend if storm=2 is an alright cast.
Thrasta is the card that got me thinking about this. But even if you cast 3 spells with 1 MV in a turn you still need 6 mana total to cast Thrasta. Plus your hand needs to be full so that you can play these 4 spells. But I haven't actually played with the card yet.
While Chatterstorm also looks appealing at first glance, but going through the trouble to get your storm count to 2 just to get a cheaper Hordeling Outburst doesn't excite me that much.

Is Repository good? Looks like a conditional ramp spell and I'd maybe prefer something more solid? Not sure. Bloom and Helm depend how many of your decks are interested in those kind of effects
Haven't got much play expierience yet, but Druids' Repository had a good showing in this deck: https://cubecobra.com/cube/deck/609be878fa6bb01060f0bf70
For me the card has a nice overlap between my {G}/{W} counters & proliferate theme and the stubborn (== resilient) aggro deck that is supported by my {W} section.

Helm of Awakening + Talismans + Paradoxical Outcome + Jeskai Ascendancy power my Artifact Storm decks

@Nanonox: Grand Warlord Radha looks like a really great gold card to create this explosive feeling that I'm looking for. Thanks for the hint!
I've been thinking about a more traditional spells matter deck in {G}/{R} and if I had a Magecraft cube it would look like this:

My contribution to the {G}/{R} Tokens question:

Spells/Token Storm

Some more anti-token safety valves that I run: