General Matters of Estate

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I'm doing the land thing in my cube. Its not going to be as heavyhanded as the enchantment thing, but I'm going with it. Here's what I've got:

Discarders: Obviously Seismic Assault, Scorched Earth and Molten Vortex fit here, but also spellshapers/looters in general. They discard cards. They aren't always lands, but they often are, because due to the basics of probability, in order to ensure that you usually draw enough, sometimes you will draw too many. This is relevant because they tie us into other themes. It ties us into land thanks to-

Land Recyclers: Tilling Treefolk, Deathrite Shaman, Life from the Loam, Harvest Wurm, Crucible of Worlds and Restore. Also general graveyard count stuff like delve, threshold, etc. These turn junked lands into resources that help us fuel our plans. Even without a land thing going on, they still work nicely with fetchlands.

Land generators: Tithe, Weathered Wayfairer, Liliana of the Dark Realms, a bunch of cards that say Nissa, Realms uncharted, Yavimaya Elder, Krosan Tusker and more. These cards give us land drops and give us fuel for discarders. Guaranteeing land drops is great for-

Landfall: We know all the old favorites and this new set is giving legitimate new cards.

Land bounce: Meloku, the Clouded Mirror, Mana Breach, Quirion Ranger, Sea Drake. These also guarantee land drops, but are much better with-

Extra land drops: Exploration, Explore, Oracle of Mul Daya, Fastbond

Cards that care about land: Knight of the Reliquary, Terravore

Cards that work really well with this theme: Armageddon(but it works with everything, so. . .), Cataclysm, Devastating Dreams, Wildfire, Tectonic Break

The cool thing here is most cards serve multiple purposes and many of them are stuff you do/would run anyway. There are a lot of neat interactions between all of this stuff. Even some of the narrow stuff like Realms Uncharted gives you 2 cards in hand and three in the graveyard for delve, so its not that bad.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I'm playing Titania, I just forgot to mention her.

Gift of Estates is a pretty good suggestion, that card is a nice one shot land tax. Unlike land tax which is just a shit card.

Flame jab and Raven's Crime might work, Wurm Harvest just isn't very good.

I will not be running lands in the cube, they will be roto-drafted separately as I prefer to do.

I'd rather run a second exploration then burgeoning, its just more straightforward. Crusher is a good suggestion (making +1/+1 counters and all), but man are three drops busy these days, I'll see if I can swing it.

I'm pretty sure I DON'T actually want crucible in this list because that card is pretty much never fun and even though I do use wasteland or strip line giving it "support" is just asking for frowny faces.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Speaking of Meloku, is this guy worth talking about or am I just on a nostalgia high?

I don't think any of the other moonfolk are really worth considering (bar the patron)

What about the other terrible land looter (that happens to be an enchantment)?

Both only lend themselves to low powered environments, and while we are in blue, may as well mention the card that makes the least colour pie sense.

I mean it is a theme that seems to only really wants to be in RG, I don't know if there are enough incentive cards in other colours to help pivot the archetype into other colour pairs.

ps. Don't be so mean to worm harvest. Don't worry little buddy, I will always love you.

I mean it does etb tapped... *puts on powermax hat* so obviously the solution is to strike out the word "tapped" as well. And boom! A perfectly fair card. Right? Right.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
how much life would this cost for real to not be instantly busted? 5? 8? "too strong for standard"?

Now, the problem is as always: this is 100% finding broken cards, or tron.
In cube? you're probably fine as is, depending on your list. when you're colorlessly finding tolarian academy or cradle and killing your opponent, it doesn't matter if you need to pay 8: you'll do it, since they're dead anyways. It could cost 19 life and still probably see some vintage play (and would see legacy if there was something good enough to do with cradle to kill people with where crop rotation wasn't just better)

But if the best thing it's finding is volrath's stronghold? That's a strong tutor that probably shouldn't be on a land, but it's not backbreaking. If you're going to sharpie out basic, make it a green spell.