Sets (MH3) Modern Horizons 3 Previews

As part of Magiccon Chicago, WOTC has begun showing off cards from a few sets coming out between now and September. Modern Horizons 3 will be coming out in June, and it's very exciting!

@Brad is getting some new lands for his Cube!
GHC4SIhXYAA4dzm.png

The Allied Fetchlands are getting a reprint with new art!
GHC4hb6XAAEDKyK.png
GHC4sc1W0AAZV5n.png

GHC4irRWoAATNp6.png
GHC4lG8WwAA4xiU.png

GHC4tAxXUAAOwnF.png

We're also getting new DFC Planeswalkers, like from Magic Origins!
GHC45_OXAAA6GRh.png
GHC5E3AXAAAtLPy.png

.... Unfortunately, the Tribal theme for this set appears to be cats, which is a bit disappointing, but what can you do?

A couple of gross themes from the late 2010s are also returning:
GHC5gSHXAAA4RAL.png
GHC5j7WWoAEF0Ji.png

The new retro colorless frame is cool, though!

Emrakul also returns!
GHC5tKhXYAAkTAt.png

But.... what will enable her madness? Well, what about this:

GHC6B5gWgAAEzxx.png

Move over Psychic Paper; now we've got Psychic Frog! I like this as any upgrade to Psychatog– that card was one of my old-school favorites, but it has really started to show it's age.

Did anyone want a free Cultivate?
GHC6KXpWQAEUFiN.png

This looks like an EDH junker on its surface, but I'm sure there's a way to break this.

They closed the preview session with some new-to-modern cards!
GHC6ho3XYAA9u_Y.png
GHC6xuOX0AAelsD.png

Both of these are fun options! Maybe I was wrong about cats being the tribal theme and it will be elves instead? Who knows!

See you roughly in may when we get to see the rest of this set!

I like It That Heralds The End as a hybrid artifact creature lord and colorless bomb enabler. I don't have enough pain lands right now for it to feel great, but it feels like MH3 will finally be the set that makes me add Wastes to the basic land box. We'll see on this!

Psychic Frog is going to take Likeness Looter's slot. Love the allusion to a Cube classic. It does so much! Maybe too much!

Ajani's [0] ability is a bit too strong for my liking, but I think I'll include it all the same. I love the flip 'walkers, and him triggering in the same way that Flip Liliana does makes the grokkability of the card much better.

Rob Alexander may be one of my favorite MtG artists but...I like these new fetch land arts more. Cannot wait for that old-bordered Wooded Foothills.

The new Emerakrul is kind of cool, but I'm happy with the one from EDM.

Basics look nice.

I wish they would just stop with the set symbol watermarks on reprints in these sets.

I just threw some shade at fetch lands in the other thread... but I'm gonna buy some of these new ones.

Uuuuh I think I like this!

Now there is both an upside and a downside to the Wastes.

If you want snow ad infinite, they have to be colorless.

Could be cool.

Oh, I wish they did that for every reprint set. I think it looks sweet and represents the history of the game in a really neat way!

Separately:

View attachment 9323

This might be my most hyped spoiler from MH3 so far???
Damn they are really bringing back all of the parasitic mid 2010s archetypes with this one!

Energy and BFZdrazi are sad to see, but maybe we’ll get some cool Bestow cards or something?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
With every set that features diamond mana my dream of an Eldrazi "blue is the new colorless" cube is coming one step closer!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Can you elaborate on this idea it sounds interesting
The idea is to have diamond mana replace blue as one of the five colors. Instead of basic lands you’ld be running Tundras and other blue duals in the basic land box instead of basics. It would require some customs, like an Island Wastes dual (yeah, we’re going to have to make Wastes a basic land type for this cube and introduce new fetches). Every deck has access to card draw and counterspells, because those are effectively colorless cards, and stuff like Undermine would be effectively monoblack in this cube. I’ll need gold cards that use a color and diamond mana though :)

The idea is to have diamond mana replace blue as one of the five colors. Instead of basic lands you’ld be running Tundras and other blue duals in the basic land box instead of basics.
Isn’t simpler to just do it the other way around, I.e, replace the diamonds with blue? Or as a house rule: replace blue mana symbols with generic mana?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Well, I don’t want blue to look like colorless mana. Blue as a color identity still comes with expectations of what is and what isn’t in pie. You’re still playing blue spells, it’s just that every deck in the draft is blue. It would look and feel weird if Counterspell cost {2} in this hypothetical cube, much weirder than having blue duals in the basic land box would feel, is my expectation at least.

I was really hoping they were going to use colorless mana to express other in-lore themes besides "Eldrazi." There are so many places in the Multiverse where colorless mana could be created and required.

Imagine colorless Puresteel golems and equipment on Mirrodin, used to fight off the Phyrexians. Imagine colorless-mana borderposts on Alara, used to stabilize the interplanar bleed between regions. Imagine time-travelling colorless Morph projections on Tarkir, used by the forgotten Khans to try and change the future. Imagine a colorless Gateless sect on Ravnica, with the power to defy the Guildpact by refusing all recognizable mana.

Instead, it's just Eldrazi-only mana. Sort of lame from a worldbuilding perspective, in my opinion.

landofMordor

Administrator
... Unfortunately, the kindred theme for this set appears to be cats, which is a bit disappointing, but what can you do?
bruh. 1) they make planeswalkers one-off type-matters all the type (Oko didn't signal Elk-matters; new Jaya didn't signal Monk- or Prowess-matters), 2) the Cat rider is a balancing knob with Naya flavor on a 2-mana planeswalker, but most importantly 3) how dare you slander nature's most perfect animal like that

Also, I must say, your complaints about the return of "narrow mechanics from 2016" seem to lack your usual thoughtfulness and nuance. Think about all the cool lower-power formats Riptide designers could make with a sudden injection of Energy or Eldrazi; think about how neat it would be to go to your LGS in June and play a completely unique Peasant Cube built around MH3's Energy rather than being another "MTGO Vintage minus rares". These reprints of narrow mechanics might not be a good in your Cube, but (to paraphrase Jason) doubling the number of available Energy cards is good for Cube as a whole.

(Further, I'd even argue MH sets need these niche mechanics to justify their existence. What else would WotC do with those slots in their card file -- print their 8th power-crept version of Shock and Quench? There's only so many basic effects a Cube could want, and we're much closer to saturation on "strong boring removal" than we are on Energy and Eldrazi.)

I view Modern Horizons as Time Spiral sets where they have a chance to bring back mechanics and flavor references from the past that don't easily fit elsewhere. That yields some neat stuff, like Hell Mongrell and Ornithopter of Paradise and Monoskelion and Ephemerate . It's different and mostly better than the word soup we tend to get out of commander decks.

Edit: that is to say, I think the way they bring back old mechanics in MH sets, like snow and changeling, has generally been executed fairly well. I may not be personally excited about the Eldrazi stuff, but I bet there will still be some goodies that I like. And I don't mind if other people get their pet mechanic. MH1 was heavy artifacts, which is my pet. I was happy.

The funny thing is that Skurry of Gremlins could totally just be a one-off card for the "have a lot of dudes" theme.

Energy feeling super gross and parasitic is honestly mostly a side effect of Temur Energy and friends being a thing in Kaladesh standard, where "go all in on Energy" was one of the best things you could do. If you dropped the entire Energy package into Standard these days, I'm pretty sure that you'd see a lot of decks that would "splash" for a couple Energy cards instead of seeing an Energy deck.