Sets (MKM) Murders at Karlov Manor Previews

Do not be fooled: you divvy they choose means "draw zero relevant cards"

This is as much a draw spell as browbeat is
If you have at least 2 relevant cards in your top five you can always put them in different piles. I think it's mostly a draw 2 get a 3/3 Thopter or the other way around and that's pretty decent.

I'm not 100% sure if I like this better than FoF in my graveyard cube, having them choose the pile is a bit worse and 5 Mana is quite a lot for a draw spell.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
SPEAKING OF CLUNKY TEXT:

This is such a silly card; I adore it. It's got some great synergies with what my black section is already doing, and I love having another excuse to put an enchantment in my graveyard for Delirium. The fact that it's written in a way that's easy to misunderstand is slightly annoying (a Twitter user figured out a much better way to template this imo) but I think it'll work out.
Is that really a better template though? That one makes it look like the first effect no longer applies once you solved the case.

How long do you think before we see Battles again?
Either in Modern Horizons 3 or in a Standard set roughly 12-18 months from now.

WOTC didn't make more battles right away because they wanted to see people's reactions to March of the Machine first. Since most people liked Battles as a concept, MaRo said they will be doing more at some point. If we compare the wait time between the first set of Sagas being released (Dominaria) and the second set of Sagas being released (Theros: Beyond Death), that was a roughly 21-month wait. Since it's already been a year, we could see battles again as early as next spring. I think battles are narrow enough that we won't be seeing them again for a little longer than that, at least in their Siege form. A new type of battle could be on the horizon, though!!

I don't know why people idealize Alara as separate shards, it's much more interesting of a plane when they're combined.

unyieldinggatekeeper.jpg

I'd like to see them put this effect on an instant.

Magic players try to understand Power Creep challenge (impossible).

Easy: if it's old and I don't like it, it's that WotC didn't know how to design cards. If it's new and I don't like it, it's power creep!*

*how you define "old" and "new" is completely arbitrary and unique to you with the exception that it will always make you feel tremendously old no matter where you draw the line betwixt the two.

landofMordor

Administrator
Actually, it seems like Orzhov doesn't get a basic land, and Selesnya gets two, so maybe I'm confusing the top Plains.
Boros Plains, Selesyna Forest, Orzhov is the bottom-most Plains.

I think I like this. A more reasonable, less wordy Questing Beast
I find the flavour of "collect evidence" on a beast very funny. Gotta build an air-tight case against this guy, his lawyers are top notch.
I love the story that Axebane Ferox tells -- it's a deadly/speedy predator, so you have to track the beast based on the "evidence" it leaves in order to kill it.

This feels, once again, like an anti-cube-policy. Doing such a minor change to mechanic that was already difficult to support in cube. If they at least would've made the change really matter, like making them 2/3s or something, I would've understand it, but Ward 2? If your environment was so powerful that your three-drop dying to removal without generating value was a bad outcome, it was an environment too powerful for morphs anyway. That doesn't change that imo.
Anti-cube? No way. Would a 2024 set with more 2014-era Morphs have made the mechanic any easier to support in Cube? I don't think so.

I also think this overlooks one of Morph's worst issues: it's a total flavor fail! OK, Sarkhan, you're telling me this... glowy ball of lightning... can turn into either a terrifying beast or a dude on a camel? How does this happen? Is this a Poke-ball situation? Why does this make sense for the magic of a dragon plane?

Contrast to just the flavor of Disguise. Just the name of the mechanic is more evocative and narrative, and the player instantly gets a mental image of how they, roleplaying as an almighty Planeswalker, might disguise/cloak either a sword or a Spirit in a wizard's duel. It's like the difference between "Kicker - Sacrifice a creature" and "Exploit". Purely on flavor grounds, I think Disguise is so much better than Morph that it's worth considering a fourth morph/manifest/megamorph variant on name alone.

Case in point: my Pulp Nouveau leans into the noir/murder flavor of Magic, so that Disguise is a total flavor home-run while Morph is a complete whiff. It also happens to be the case that this Standard-ish-power-level cube is completely hostile to Morph bodies, but the Ward 2 means a Disguised creature won't be worth spending removal on, so it's up to the card's caster to get in combat with it (threat of activation) or play it safe to flip up later. I'm considering adding as many as 10-20 Disguise cards thanks to these ways it improves on Morph in the context of 2024.

Easy: if it's old and I don't like it, it's that WotC didn't know how to design cards. If it's new and I don't like it, it's power creep!*

*how you define "old" and "new" is completely arbitrary and unique to you with the exception that it will always make you feel tremendously old no matter where you draw the line betwixt the two.
As a power-maximizer, if it's old and I do like it, WotC didn't know how to design cards.

Anti-cube? No way. Would a 2024 set with more 2014-era Morphs have made the mechanic any easier to support in Cube? I don't think so.
I don't agree with the conclusion, but you're arguing with a straw-man. First off in ravnic's case, adding more 2014-era Morphs probably would have made it easier to support, since he would have a greater density of cards to choose from, around which he could regulate the power level around, but that's besides the point. I haven't seen anything to indicate that he believes gray ogres are fit for modern magic sets and thinks introducing those would be a good idea. My impression is rather that if they are going to replace morph, what they chose as a successor seems rather underwhelming, and plays very badly with the previous version because of board-state readiability.
I also think this overlooks one of Morph's worst issues: it's a total flavor fail! OK, Sarkhan, you're telling me this... glowy ball of lightning... can turn into either a terrifying beast or a dude on a camel? How does this happen? Is this a Poke-ball situation? Why does this make sense for the magic of a dragon plane?
This is if anything a failure of Tarkir's worldbuilding, not morph. The mechanic itself is self-explanatory, and would thematically make a lot of sense on a plane like Ikoria where creatures mutate all the time. And for the actual dragons of Tarkir, it would also make a lot of sense, considering they spontaneously spawn from the residue of Ugin's magic or something along those lines.
Contrast to just the flavor of Disguise. Just the name of the mechanic is more evocative and narrative, and the player instantly gets a mental image of how they, roleplaying as an almighty Planeswalker, might disguise/cloak either a sword or a Spirit in a wizard's duel. It's like the difference between "Kicker - Sacrifice a creature" and "Exploit". Purely on flavor grounds, I think Disguise is so much better than Morph that it's worth considering a fourth morph/manifest/megamorph variant on name alone.
Morph belongs to the "it's magic, I ain't got to explain shit" category, so I would say it's pretty easy to imagine. How you cloak the entire Academy Wall and surprise me with it in combat on the other hand, seems significantly more far-fetched.
Disguise more accurately maps onto its gameplay function, but I don't think it's much of an improvement in terms of immersion.

fwiw I don't really care about morph nor disguise. I do greatly prefer manifest to cloak, however, just in terms of elegance, so in that sense I don't really like disguise.

Would a 4 mana chimney imp be power creep to you?
How much does it untap for?

They're good videos, extra credits is good people.

Would a 4 mana chimney imp be power creep to you?
On this definition yes.
But do you know what the beauty is?
Power creep does not matter in cube... You decide what cards to include/exclude. You could add/swap more powerful cards in and see the effects. It can create new strategies or invalidate some. This even applies when the new card is not the strongest.

You decide what cards to include/exclude. You could add/swap more powerful cards in and see the effects. It can create new strategies or invalidate some. This even applies when the new card is not the strongest.

This is true at least.

This is if anything a failure of Tarkir's worldbuilding, not morph. The mechanic itself is self-explanatory, and would thematically make a lot of sense on a plane like Ikoria where creatures mutate all the time. And for the actual dragons of Tarkir, it would also make a lot of sense, considering they spontaneously spawn from the residue of Ugin's magic or something along those lines.
Not really. The term "morph" implies that the creature would be changing from one thing into another. On both Dominaria and Tarkir, the "morph" creatures have really just been in a disguise, with Tarkir having the glowy magic bubble and Dominaria having those weird crab things that they crack out of to unmorph. In my opinion, the name "morph" implies something closer to the transform mechanic.