Sets (MKM) Murders at Karlov Manor Previews

caseofthegatewayexpress.jpg

This seems... pretty trivial to solve? Like, in a deck where you'd reasonably want the first half you're probably going to be solving this on the same turn as you play it.
I wonder why this is formatted differently to Kabira Takedown and similar. Will this be the way this effect is written going forward do you think? The big difference I can see is that this works with Deathtouch (and Lifelink but that's less important) but is there anything else I'm missing that would make you want this over the other type of card?

It does bonkers stuff if you've got any effect that increases the amount of damage you deal, works wonders with Wither and Infect, can bypass stuff like Phantom Tiger's damage prevention or shield counters...

This seems... pretty trivial to solve? Like, in a deck where you'd reasonably want the first half you're probably going to be solving this on the same turn as you play it.
Oh, I really like this design!

This seems like a great dual-purpose removal spell/anthem. I wasn't very high on any cases (outside of maybe the skeleton one), but I might give this one a whirl.

Th

This is a literal spoiler. Which I guess is what they were looking for but...

1. There's a a new card with the clash mechanic.

2. There's one commander that cares about base power and toughness 2/2.

3. There's a new Azra in the set.

4. There's one new card appears in all four decks.

5. There's an enchantment that begins with "Creatures you control get +X/+X until end of turn where X is..."

6.There's a black card in a many year supercycle.

7. There's a card that gives Clues a keyword ability.

8. There's a new card with the radiance mechanic.

9. There's a color shifted version of a well known morph card.

10. There's a card that makes all face down creatures enter with a specific keyword counter.

11. There's a card that says "If a opponent would begin a extra turn..."

12. There's a new card with the gravestorm mechanic.

13. There's a card that check the condition if two or more players have lost the game.

14. There’s a creature with an unusual power and toughness the numbers are the two lies in this list the lower one is the power.

Two of the above are fake/lies.

- Gavin Verhey

What is going on in this art?

What rift?
I wondered the same thing! Glad to hear a lore aficionado is also confused by the rift--it means I'm not missing something.

One mana punch spell (Hard-Hitting Question) looks good. I recently cut Prey Upon and variants, but was reluctant to do so.

I wonder how expensive the Clue cards will wind up being--every cards costs 30 cents, yadda yadda yadda, but it's nice to get the real ones when they're cheap enough. I worry about wotc underprinting these because, let's face it, who buys Clue new in 2024? You just inherit it from your grandparents or find it in a garage sale.

Re: magnifying glasses and hats, I think we're all saying the same thing (thought StrionicAdventurer said it better than I did!).

Last edited:

landofMordor

Administrator
Is it just me thinking that these hybrid CLUE cards embody the EDHiest approach to color pie and balancing I've ever seen?

EDH brain: "yeah, a 3/3 for 3 is a fine rate for an uncommon, especially considering that our precons effectively have no rarity, and because it's {B/G} then it will only see play in {B}{G} decks and therefore it doesn't really matter if the card's effect is in-pie for both colors."

Limited brain: "wow that thing attacks for like a 7th of my life total and I can play it in 7/10 of my drafted color pairs... and it's an uncommon"

I guess I'm saying, Tribune of Rot would have costed {1}{G}{B} in 2012, but in 2024 they decided just about anybody is allowed to cast this.

... yes i'm now fully in my boomer era. let me just find my bifocals so i can read the rest of this thread... ;)

Last edited:
Is it just me thinking that these hybrid CLUE cards embody the EDHiest approach to color pie and balancing I've ever seen?

I guess I'm saying, Tribune of Rot would have costed {1}{G}{B} in 2012, but in 2024 they decided just about anybody is allowed to cast this.

I agree with your fundamental point. The "color identity" rules are my least favorite part of the impact that Commander has had on design -- I've even been multiple retail drafts where people didn't think they could run cards with off-color activations unless they included mana of that color in their deck or similar mishaps.

That said, while most of the designs don't meet Studio X's historically stringent requirements for hybrid cards, almost all of the designs do fit into each of their two sides on the current color pie. I think the true Boomer part of your analysis is just that the color pie has weakened in the era of Commander, and these cards are not symptoms but the final stage of the disease.

Sure, Vernal Sovereign seems like a better candidate than Sumala Rumblers as a hybrid card. If you showed me those two, I would get "which one is gold and which one is hybrid?" wrong. Boros Strike-Captain's impulse draw is also a little off-flavor for mono-white. But otherwise, I think they did a good job -- these Clue/Cluedo cards are the most inspired cards I've seen in a while from Studio X tbh, and represent why I like it when they design for multi-player first (sometimes): things like story equity, readability, and "how exciting is this card to read for the first time?" are prioritized.

Double-posting for my own rant:

Tenth-District-Hero-MKM-672.jpg

Tenth District Hero does something I really like for my Cube. It's a white 2-drop that grows in a powerful but fair way and eventually protects your entire team. I like the story it tells within the card (besides the fact that lol she's now a detective and not a soldier???)

BUT!

1. No reminder text
I know this is a MTGGoldfish translation, but the foreign versions of the card don't have it and there's likely too much text for it. No one is going to remember/know what "collect evidence" means.

2. Memory issues
I find this template of card is more trouble than it's worth for everything outside of Figure of Destiny. It's just kind of a pain in the ass to play with.

It's sad, because I was looking forward to this character since we got the art spoiled, and I do like how she plays. Those two issues far surpass any excitement I had for the card, though.

---

Call-a-Surprise-Witness-MKM-672.jpg

Wonderful art and name. This feels like the rare hit in terms of "how can WotC make a Ravnica murder mystery feel like a cool Magic set?" - continuing the baseball metaphor, it's at least a triple on that front.

I ran Recommission for a bit and it was fine. Helping Hand has been absurdly good, even better than all-timer Unearth, simply because white decks love the effect even more and white's three drops are jacked. Just a ton of potential value for one mana, and y'all should be thinking about running it at minimum, unless it's grossly inappropriate in your Cube's context for whatever reason.

Two mana is rough. Gameplay wise, I do like the flying counter more than the +1/+1 you get from Recommission, and I'm not plussed about losing out on reanimating artifacts. They're annoying and fiddly and even if I bothered to include them specifically with my tokens and dice, my players would never remember/bother to grab them.

I don't think this makes it for my main Cube, but I'll keep it in my ideas binder for future Cube projects. Maybe if I lower the curve of my Cube alongside the general power creep we've seen over the years, this will de-facto be a 2 mana reanimate with upside in my Cube in due time. I'm just happy they're printing more of this effect, either way.

What is going on in this art?

9fae9044-a859-434d-8dc6-4f9d455ca5e1.jpg

What rift?
I wondered the same thing! Glad to hear a lore aficionado is also confused by the rift--it means I'm not missing something.
It looks like the Hellion is coming through an Omenpath, the new natural portals between planes. The most recent depictions of Omenpaths have been Blue (as seen on Extraordinary Journey), but they have been depicted as other colors in the past, such as the red of Open the Omenpaths.

My guess is that Omenpath opened up in the middle of Plaza West, and this hellion decided to go through.

insidiousrootsp.jpg

You ever look at a card and just be like, this is gonna get broken somewhere? I don't know if it's Ovalchase Daredevil, Agatha's Soul Cauldron, something like Cryptex actually happening, Raise the Alarm, I have no idea. But I'm in for it, because whatever it is it might be in someone's cube too.
This looks like a really strong payoff for Collecting Evidence in limited. I don't know if this will be "broken" per se, but I think this card will win a lot of games of Karlov Manor draft.

It could be an omenpath but I don’t think so. The flavor text says rift. And the art doesn’t look like anything remotely close I would say. And doesn’t it sound like this happens frequently in the flavor text which shouldn’t be the case? Finally it also sounds like this one is traveling from Ravnica to Ravnica which is also weird.

Screen Shot 2024-01-24 at 9.07.26 AM.png

Such a silly card. As someone who studied economics and continues to keep up with the literature, this is a delight to me.

Screen Shot 2024-01-24 at 9.05.19 AM.png

A neat little bauble from the Commander set. I like being able to cloak my top card at instant speed, especially when I know what it is from the surveil and can follow it up with a Flickerwisp. Lovely!

.......but it doesn't say what Cloak or Goad do..........

merchantoftruth.jpg

I'm used to looking at commander deck cards and going "neat effect but costs too much" but this one is actually really appropriately costed I think? I'm at least nonzero interested even in a higher powered environment.

tangletrovekelp.jpg

..."I just think they're neat!"

1706130263455.png

Uhh I really like this. This seems legit pretty strong? I mean, a glorius anthem on your turn only for 5 mana is NOT great, but turning cantrips into team wide tricks does seem very good.

Edit: ok 2 minutes later and I already feel like it's probably just ok. But still! Cool!!