Modern-Environment Cube

Hello, everyone! I hope, you’re doing well!
I suggest you to look at my developing cube.
Here’s the link: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/98102
I put a short description of the cube and several questions. If it’s not difficult for you, please, check them out too. Thank you, guys!
Brief Summary of Cube
At first, I want to tell a bit about my design principles:
- This cube is Modern-framed and it's gonna emulate Modern environment;
- 360 cards;
- The official Modern ban-list is not considered;
ARCHETYPES
1. For U/B I have an idea of a control-deck using Vedalken Shackles: steal opponent’s creatures with Shackles and then sacrifice them to various outlets. Probably, there can be also an artifact deck with Tezzerets.
2. U/G: shenanigans with +1/+1 counters. Strategies around Chasm Skulker, Hardened Scales (remember Abzan Scales in Modern?), Doubling Season and, if splashing red, Ion Storm (this strategy needs to be worked at).
3. G/R: Land Destruction/Ramp. Seems to be clear.
4. G/B: Graveyard. Banal, but I like it. Need some good creatures with Scavenge.
5. B/R: and here I have some troubles. I looked for some BR Modern decks, but they were mostly “good-stuff-aggro-packages”. Probably, this guild is a home for agro-aristocrats, but yet that’s the only theme which came to my mind. Maybe, some self-discarding?
EDIT: Currently BR has the same Arisctocrats theme as WB, but it also has access to some "Act of Treason" effects.
6. W/U: blink and, maybe, UW control. But the second one doesn’t have its own unique, memorable features yet. I wouldn’t like it to be just a mediocre control.
7. W/G: tokens - their agro-control/midrange variations. In fact, aggro is possible too.
8. W/R: Spells Matter and Aggro Tokens.
9. W/B: pure agro tokens, Lifegain Control, Aristocrats (with or without splashing red for Falkenrath Aristocrat).
10. U/R: Delver, Spells Matter.
I'll appreciate any feedback from you. Thanks!

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
How is the cube coming along? Doesn't look like the list has been updated in a while.

It is a bit hard to give critique on just archetypes when there isn't cards behind them at this point, but I will give it a try!
  • Do people find land destruction fun that it can have a whole archetype built around it? Is this just a Wildfire variant, or are you running Stone Rain and the like?
  • It seems a bit of a stretch to built an entire 2-colour archetype around 1 card that wants to be mono-colour (Vedalken Shackles). UB Artifacts would be fine though.
  • BR you can do; as you mentioned; 'Sac Aggro' it would overlap with WR and WB, as they both seem to be the same archetype (aggro tokens).
  • In saying that though, you don't need to define archetypes for every colour combination. Sometimes UG can be just 'ramp and card draw', don't try and force things that are too hard to fit or will be too diluted to even matter.
Hope that gives you some things to think about. Hope to see your list soon!

How is the cube coming along? Doesn't look like the list has been updated in a while.

It is a bit hard to give critique on just archetypes when there isn't cards behind them at this point, but I will give it a try!
  • Do people find land destruction fun that it can have a whole archetype built around it? Is this just a Wildfire variant, or are you running Stone Rain and the like?
  • It seems a bit of a stretch to built an entire 2-colour archetype around 1 card that wants to be mono-colour (Vedalken Shackles). UB Artifacts would be fine though.
  • BR you can do; as you mentioned; 'Sac Aggro' it would overlap with WR and WB, as they both seem to be the same archetype (aggro tokens).
  • In saying that though, you don't need to define archetypes for every colour combination. Sometimes UG can be just 'ramp and card draw', don't try and force things that are too hard to fit or will be too diluted to even matter.
Hope that gives you some things to think about. Hope to see your list soon!
Thank you very much, these pieces of advice really help a lot!
The thing is now I'm very busy, so even at the weekend I'm not always able to find time to think about the cube :(
By the way, could you, please, give some hints for UB artifacts? I had this one in mind, but somewhy I made it revolve only around Shackles. Also some people say that artifact theme is not very good for cube, that's why I doubt.
For B/R we decided to introduce a very popular "Aristocrats" archetype. That is "Sac Aggro", in fact:)
And, yes, we planned to have LD as a separate theme, not just an archetype based around Wildfire. The problem is we haven't found any good cross-polination (or overlap) between LD and other themes yet.
Also we want to add a life gain subtheme or archetype, but there are not so many "life gain matters" cards which benefit from it.