General Modern Masters 2015 - Director's Cut

The story goes like this: a friend (always a friend) has a bunch of MM2 cards lying around from two boxes which we opened and drafted, and wanted to buy another because he likes the draft. I asked "if you like playing this set so much, why don't you put together a set cube?"

However, spending a bunch of money on mythics that are bad for drafting and playing MM2 as released is not cost-efficient. If we cut most mythics the environment is better and the cube gets significantly cheaper. After you’ve done this, why stop there? How much can MM2 be improved by adding new tech from recent sets and removing the need to pack reprints and enough value to justify a $10 MSRP?

There's a lot of room for balancing archetypes. WU Artifacts and WG Tokens were really strong. UR Elementals, BG Sacrifice/Eldrazi were lacking. UG +1/+1 Counters and UB Proliferate sort of merged into UGb Counters because neither was thick enough. WB Spirits could either be incredible or a trainwreck, depending on whether you got passed those Nameless Inversions. Many drafts felt on rails, and sharing an archetype with someone else was a terrible situation to be in.

The list initially contains 3 of each common, 2 of each uncommon, 1 of each rare, with some cards already cut due to their prices/relevance. The only mythics are the cheap Comet Storm and the reasonably priced but fun draft-around Tezzeret the Seeker.

Mythics cut:

Rares cut:

Then, over this list, we start promoting changes. The archetypes that bothers me the most is Spirits, so let's start with it.

IN:

OUT:

In stock MM2, Spirits falls apart when it doesn't get enough Nameless Inversions. To fix this, I added more removal that synergizes with Soulshift and helps it withstand pressure. The individual quality of the key cards of this archetype is so low that I was pretty liberal adding premium removal. It's actually a bit concerning because Rend Flesh is another Nameless Inversion, in the sense that any black deck will want it, but at least there are now twice as many.

Morkrut Banshee is something to fill the 5cc slot, as this is really a control deck and wants expensive, table impacting Spirits. It synergizes well with BG Sacrifice too. Apothecary Geist fits the bill as well: decent blocker, life gain with payoff that doesn't require a big commitment on Spirits, right out of the Shadows of Innistrad design guidelines.

The color hate cards are awkward for casual drafts, since if one maindecks them it feels like pre-sideboarding, and people often can't be bothered taking to time to sideboard between games. They are cool for spiky drafts (giving you another dimension to think of rather than just the best main deck that can be made), but between the token hate and the artifact hate, caring about color sideboard and dedicating that many slots to it looks kind of excessive and very detached from the set’s design.

As for the other cuts, Instill Infection is just terrible, while Otherworldly Journey is marginal and a lot of things have to go right for it to be effective.

IN:

OUT:

Some rare slot changes for Spirits: Mirror Entity is such a bomby bomb that I don't think I want this in my environment, so in come Bygone Bishop, which overlaps with WU artifacts and Eidolon of Countless Battles, which overlaps with WG tokens and WR voltron. I also considered Shining Shoal (which is a 2CC sweet Arcane, you don't get many of those).

IN:

OUT:

This is all I've changed in WR Voltron. I think it's a decently balanced archetype already. Taj-Nar Swordsmith is really a miserable thing to cast on curve, and while cute, there's usually not enough time in this environment to fetch an equip and feels underpowered by the time you do it. The brand-new Avacynian Missionaries have the con of being the only flip card, but the card plays better.

IN:

OUT:

Improving UG +1/+1 Counters with evolvers! We need more things to proliferate and I'm giving it the best: our beloved Cloudfin Raptor, Crocanura, which is a fine creature filling the 3 mana slot that doesn't have much love in this deck, and Experiment One, which is one sweet 1-drop.

About the cards coming out: so what does Telling Time do in the grand scheme of things? Does anyone know? I honestly don't. Simic Initiate is borderline unplayable, and Karplusan Strider is not really an interesting SB card either.

IN:

UG Counters lacked rares, so I added: Woodland Wanderer, overlapping mainly with RG Domain, but a solid card in any green deck; Scourge of Skola Vale, overlapping with BG Sacrifice, which really needs more sac outlets; and Chasm Skulker, because it makes Squids and Squids are cool.

IN:

This works in BR Bloodthirst, WB Spirits and BG Sacrifice. Such a find.

IN:

OUT:

We now take on a problem deck: URwbg Elementals. One neat thing I found was that BFZ's awakened lands are elementals, so in came Clutch of Currents in place of Vapor Snag. Looking for anything that had synergy with elementals, I found Flamekin Harbinger, which can fetch changelings as well.

Hurkyl's Recall was sort of a premium SB spell that randomly wrecked Artifacts, so I swapped it out for the coolest Elemental synergy card I found: Master of Waves. Another cool rare elemental I found was Hound of Griselbrand, which works well in WR Voltron. Wolfbriar Elemental was that feelbad card that you cast for 2GG feeling cheated out of your rare, and wasn't exactly fun when it took the game. Avenger of Zendikar, on the other hand, is real pay-off for running Smokebraider, while also working well in BG Sacrifice (Eldrazi Spawn can accelerate it) and RG Domain.

I bet you had to read what Soulbright Flamekin does. Then you had to read it again to make sure you didn't miss anything. It's a complex and weird effect with no cohesion whatsoever that eventually ramps 6 to 8 mana on a deck that does not need this, converting all the mana to red when we wanted to filter it to other colors and cast off-color elementals. No, Ingot Chewer is a much better reason to play your Smokebraider and pulls a lot of weight in this set.

IN:

OUT:

Blinkmoth Nexus is so marginal that I don't think it's worth a slot. I wanted a generic tribal card that could go in Elementals, Spirits, Eldrazi, Mutants, Vampires, Squids tribal. Or simply in WG tokens.

IN:

For Fulminator Mage's Spot, the options were Wort, Boggart Auntie and Rakdos, Lord of Riots. Since Rakdos is such a miss for decks other than BR Bloodthirst and not splashable, Wort got the spot as a more fun and versatile card. It enables Bloodthirst with fear and can sometimes be an engine returning Blades of Velis Vel and Nameless Inversions.

IN:

OUT:

Overwhelm is playable exclusively in the tokens deck, and even then not that good. Tromp the Domains gives trample, encourages splashing, and can be a finisher in tokens and domain, so in it goes. This is a swap I have to keep an eye on, because the tokens deck was already strong.

IN:

OUT:

Daggerclaw Imp is a fine card, but the format is already fast and only the Bloodthirst deck really wants it. Corrosive Mentor is a decent blocker and increases the value of proliferate, with the nice bonus of being an elemental. Oh, and Germs are black.

IN:

OUT:

Domain lacked early plays, and Viridian Emissary fills this hole, while also being a fine card for any green deck, and especially so for Sacrifice. Gnarlid Pack is versatile but weak, and even in the Counters deck it's not great.

Matca Rioters for Tajuru Stalwart is a swap that's hard to evaluate. While Rioters is way better once you have all basic land types, Tajuru Stalwart works much better with bouncelands and artifact mana. For the sake of Domain's early game, and given there is already a lot of payoff for getting all colors, I chose to get a more reliable 3/4 than a potential 5/5. Bonus points for being usable in the +1/+1 Counters deck as well.

IN:

OUT:

When the three mythic Eldrazi are removed, those Eldrazi Spawn tokens and Eldrazi Temples become respectively unexciting and unplayable. To replace the titans and keep the archetype alive, there aren't many options that are budget and do not require ingestors. Desolation Twin is beatable but scary. Endless One is skill intensive, generically good, overlaps with counters and proliferate and a good curve filler when the eldrazi deck whiffs (that awkward ramp to 7 and cannot cast Ulamog's Crusher).

Horde of Notions looks like overlap between Elementals and Domain, but is the wrong kind of overlap - it’s a intersection, not an union. It only works on a deck that’s both Elementals AND Domain. All is Dust is sort of underwhelming in an environment with so many artifacts, and not cheap enough to play in Artifacts.

IN:

OUT:

The last color hate card comes out for Wing Splicer, creating a marginal Golem tribal, which ties right into WU artifacts. I'm a bit worried blue has too much flying at this point, though.

IN:

OUT:

Just like Overwhelm, Root-Kin Ally is not essential for tokens and quite bad in other decks, eating up valuable slots. Explosive Vegetation aims to strengthen Domain and Eldrazi Ramp.

Satisfied with the commons and uncommons, I now move to filling in the rare slots. MM2 has 53 rares and 15 mythics, so 60 rares sounds about right to keep the odds to open a certain rare virtually unaffected. The goal to be symmetrical is 8 slots on each color, 1 slot on each guild and 10 colorless slots.

IN:

OUT:

White had 3 rare slots open, plus Mirran Crusader’s. Blade Splicer works in tokens, artifacts and the new golems archetype (not sure I should create a minor archetype, but I guess drafting depth is a good thing). Eternal Dragon is a Spirit and a finisher for any white control deck, at a good power level. Phyrexian Rebirth is here because since I removed All is Dust as a board wipe, I feel like I should compensate for this somehow. The token is an artifact, but that's really marginal. Oh, and it's tokens hate.

Mirran Crusader has the dreaded double protection, and this kind of non-interactivity creates very negavite games. Kinsbaile Cavalier is way weaker, but has potential to set up Velis Vel blowouts and breathes new life into Dragonsoul Knight by making it more desirable in Voltron.

IN:

For blue's only open slot, I'll run Simic Manipulator. There are not many good +1/+1 counter options in blue. He's slow, but could work well in an environment with so many 1/1s.

IN:

Black proliferate really needs payoff, and Dusk Urchins helps. To a minor extent, so does Bloodlord of Vaasgoth despite being mostly a Bloodthirst card which enables a Vampires twist on this deck.

IN:

Domain needed more Savage Twisters. I think this is adequate, as it can be a sideboard card for any deck against tokens and spirits.

IN:

I thought long about Mycoloth, but it's too strong even for this format. I opted for Skullmulcher as the last green rare, which is at a much more acceptable power level, but is still good enough for Sacrifice and Tokens.

OUT:

At 11 colorless rares, we are one about the goal. Etched Champion is a payoff card for an archetype that is already good. A pro is the slight overlap with Voltron, but it's not too interesting and often downright annoying.

Finally, the list: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/53012
Edit: the link above is to a frozen version after the initial post. The current cube is at http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/53501 and contains further changes.

Some numbers:
- Grand total of 523 cards
- The rarity distribution of MM2 was kept, considering that 15 mythics became 7 rares: 303 commons (101 unique ones), 160 uncommons (80 unique ones) and 60 rares (60 unique ones)
- 87.8% of the cards are from MM2
- Current price estimate from Cube Tutor: $212.95, of which $53.70 are the worth of cards from outside of MM2.

If you read this far, congrats. If you skipped to here, good on you too for efficient time management. The most important aspect of the final list is that we've kept all the archetypes, the feel and the spirit of MM2 intact, while patching up problems and weaving more depth into the environment. It's hard to say it's superior for sure, but is at least a healthy new take on an environment that got stale fairly quickly.

There is always room for improvement. Some unexciting cards still bother me, for example Somber Hoverguard, Vigean Graftmage, Frogmite and Goblin War Paint. There are also cards I’ve found during my research - eg. Frost Lynx, World Breaker - that could fit very well, but before going further with changes more playtesting is necessary.

What would be your take on Modern Masters 2015?

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Agree, this looks out-and-out amazing, and a much-needed improvement to bring a set that had great gameplay but middle-of-the-road drafting to the next level, without undercutting the archetypes built into the set.

I've already forgotten what archetype B/G is supposed to be in this set - was there some sort of sacrifice theme? I can't recall any good Golgari decks being drafted, so I'm not sure if the power level needs a boost to keep pace with the other archetypes. On that note, I'm not sure if I agree that Mycoloth is too good - it's still just one five-mana creature that requires a sacrifice to get started, and might not even be as bomby as Creakwood Liege, who can be a real beating, completely unassisted.

This is phenomenal work! I'm really pleased with what you did for the set, like, wow, great work! I have two comments:
- Rend Flesh seems awfully strong; in my experience Spirits were hard enough to keep dead due to Soulshift shenanigans and Death Denied, so adding removal that misses them entirely seems a bit suspect. it's probably fine but it worries me a bit.
- Matca Rioters getting the axe breaks my heart. I drafted 5c Domain more than anything else that set, and it was my favourite card; I won so many matches off them. I guess Tajuru Stalwart has an intersection with counters but ihmo that theme has enough going on as-is. It also seems like it might sit dead in your hand for a few turns if you're off a land, whereas the Raiders can come down as a 2/2 on t3 with 2 different lands and leap to a 4/4 next turn off an Explosive Vegetation. That interaction seems really cool to me, personally, and I see the Raiders as a way cooler payoff/incentive to domain than the Stalwart.

Really though, FANTASTIC work! I'm so glad to see this pretty-neat draft environment cranked up into really-friggin-cool territory!

- Rend Flesh seems awfully strong; in my experience Spirits were hard enough to keep dead due to Soulshift shenanigans and Death Denied, so adding removal that misses them entirely seems a bit suspect. it's probably fine but it worries me a bit.

You're right, it's not only a very strong card in the spirits deck, but also terrible when other decks try to use it against WB Spirits. I hadn't thought of that. Any suggestions? Needs to be in the black 2, 3 or 4 mana slots, either Spirit or Arcane and common. Maybe one of these?

- Matca Raiders getting the axe breaks my heart. I drafted 5c Domain more than anything else that set, and it was my favourite card; I won so many matches off them. I guess Tajuru Stalwart has an intersection with counters but ihmo that theme has enough going on as-is. It also seems like it might sit dead in your hand for a few turns if you're off a land, whereas the Raiders can come down as a 2/2 on t3 with 2 different lands and leap to a 4/4 next turn off an Explosive Vegetation. That interaction seems really cool to me, personally, and I see the Raiders as a way cooler payoff/incentive to domain than the Stalwart.

This was the hardest cut and makes me sad too, Matca Rioters is the simplest, most effective payoff for domain. What always happened to me though was: turn 3: play 2/2 Rioters; trade it for 2-drop 2/1 because I'm already dying. It also makes my Alloy Myr and Sphere of the Suns look silly. A 3/4 is a much better defensive 3-drop, and I don't think there is room for both =(

I've already forgotten what archetype B/G is supposed to be in this set - was there some sort of sacrifice theme? I can't recall any good Golgari decks being drafted, so I'm not sure if the power level needs a boost to keep pace with the other archetypes. On that note, I'm not sure if I agree that Mycoloth is too good - it's still just one five-mana creature that requires a sacrifice to get started, and might not even be as bomby as Creakwood Liege, who can be a real beating, completely unassisted.

I think I still need to work on BG Sacrifice. Any suggestions on how to make it better? Mycoloth does not really help, it is a bomb in any green deck and will take over the game if not removed immediately, and only Bone Splinters, Rend Flesh, Spread the Sickness, Clutch of Currents, Aethersnipe and Repeal are adequate answers, so if you are not in blue or black, GG.

Which of these would be an improvement?

I would try Catacomb Sifter, Blisterpod, Sifter of Skulls, but mixing Eldrazi Spawns and Scions is so confusing.

Another question is if Nantuko Husk would be better than Bloodthrone Vampire, enough to justify further stacking the crowded 3 mana slot in black.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
That's an entirely fair point against Mycoloth - it's just that I would level the same criticisms at Creakwood Liege, in that it can run away with the game when unanswered, and a turn earlier at that. It might be one to watch out for, and to cut for the same reasons if it gets out of hand.

I'm a really big fan of Zulaport Cutthroat / Falkenrath Noble as a reward for the sacrifice deck, which I think lacks a proper build-around. They also both don't trigger bloodthirst, so there's a smaller chance that they get sniped by the BR vampire deck, though they might be strong enough when surrounded by small creatures to get nabbed anyways.

The old 1 rare, 3 uncommons, 11 commons. Could simulate the foil by taking the leftovers, shuffling and replacing a common with a random card from that pile on a percentage of boosters to get results closer to the real set, but not sure the benefit is worth the hassle.

That's an entirely fair point against Mycoloth - it's just that I would level the same criticisms at Creakwood Liege, in that it can run away with the game when unanswered, and a turn earlier at that. It might be one to watch out for, and to cut for the same reasons if it gets out of hand.

Creakwood Liege is definitely powerful, but several factors make it more manageable than Mycoloth:
I'm a really big fan of Zulaport Cutthroat / Falkenrath Noble as a reward for the sacrifice deck, which I think lacks a proper build-around. They also both don't trigger bloodthirst, so there's a smaller chance that they get sniped by the BR vampire deck, though they might be strong enough when surrounded by small creatures to get nabbed anyways.

The problem is that both Zulaport Cutthroat and Falkenrath Noble are uncommon, and the black uncommons are:

What I most want to cut is Devouring Greed, but I hear it's essential for Spirits to work. Do you think swapping Scavenger Drake out for Falkenrath Noble is a good deal? Or shall we follow the poison principle and remove Devouring Greed?

Nantuko Husk is waaay better than Bloodthrone Vamp, in my experience. So is Carrion Feeder. If you want a 2 mana black creature, I would probably run Butcher Ghoul.

It is, but {B} 3 mana is super crowded. Carrion Feeder would be the only old-bordered card, and Phyrexia vs Coalition version is impossible to find around here and not easy even in the US. It might have helped Proliferate a bit as well, even though I hate the fact that it can't block.

The easiest cut from 3 mana is Waking Nightmare. Is the BCS of discard 2, soulshift, discard 2 more realistic? Doesn't sound like it. I could swap it out for Nantuko Husk and fill Bloodthrone Vampire's 2 mana common slots with Butcher Ghoul.

This looks really awesome. I only got to play MM2 twice because it was so expensive, but it was a really fun format, and having an improved version available to draft whenever sounds like a lot of fun.
Horde of Notions looks like overlap between Elementals and Domain, but is the wrong kind of overlap - it’s a union, not an intersection.
You've got your set operators mixed up :p

Cut Goblin War Paint for Hammerhand; it's way better.
I definitely like the idea of Baleful Eidolon. The spirits deck is a little light on two drops, and casting this on turn 2 to trade with something, then soulshifting it back to bestow it later sounds like a ton of value.
The easiest cut from 3 mana is Waking Nightmare. Is the BCS of discard 2, soulshift, discard 2 more realistic? Doesn't sound like it. I could swap it out for Nantuko Husk and fill Bloodthrone Vampire's 2 mana common slots with Butcher Ghoul.
The BCS is actually worse than that. Soulshift only gets back spirits, not arcane spells, so the real BCS is more like discard 2, trigger Waxmane Baku.

You've got your set operators mixed up :p

Oops. Fixed.

Cut Goblin War Paint for Hammerhand; it's way better.

Is it really? Goblin War Paint seems better with double strikers.

I definitely like the idea of Baleful Eidolon. The spirits deck is a little light on two drops, and casting this on turn 2 to trade with something, then soulshifting it back to bestow it later sounds like a ton of value.
The BCS is actually worse than that. Soulshift only gets back spirits, not arcane spells, so the real BCS is more like discard 2, trigger Waxmane Baku.

Thanks all for the input, I made a few more changes. I froze the original cube and you can see the updated version in a new CubeTutor cube: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/53501

IN:

OUT:

The change from All Suns' Dawn to Quirion Dryad is because Dawn is not really an exciting card that draws people into domain, while Dryad incentivizes the same kind of deck building while being good in the Counters deck as well, and on top of that pairing well with counters. Same idea, but a less narrow card.

I'd crossed it out because it's too hard to get Brindle Shoat in paper, but it looks like a cool addition. How do you draft a cube in MTGO?

Belfry Spirit is sweet, I'm just reticent on adding such a powerful card for tokens, which is already good. Viridian Emissary is already in =) Yavimaya Elder would be nice, but it competes with Explosive Vegetation. I think the acceleration is more necessary than the raw card advantage and sacrifice overlap. I really like Seed Guardian, but it's another uncommon. Take a look at what's currently in:

What would you cut for Seed Guardian?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Mutagenic Growth, probably? It has an effect that can, sort of, be slotted in at common, and isn't necessary for any of the archtypes? But yeah, then you have three uncommon four drops, and the other two are more important...

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I'll grant that Creakwood Liege is essentially a gold card, and not hybrid like its mana cost would suggest. Even though it's eminently killable, you still sometimes come across Baneslayer Angel problem, wherein, although Path to Exile and Doom Blade (among other things) were both legal in the same Standard format, sometimes They Just Don't Have It, and your creature runs away with the game. I only continue to dog on this point because that scenario would play out in my own cube list with Liege, where removal is both high-powered and plentiful; on the occasions where it wasn't answered quickly, it tended to run away with the game, in a mostly unsatisfying fashion. Perhaps my own personal experience is colouring my perception, though; it could be that a hard-to-cast Golgari gold card is not the big problem I'm making it out to be.

Of the cards you listed, Reassembling Skeleton appears to be the weakest link. I suppose it's a 'combo' of sorts with any sacrifice outlet, such as Nantuko Husk, but it's fairly inefficient in that role, and does very little on its own when it's not synergizing with another board piece. It doesn't have any role in BR vampires nor BW spirits; I can't remember the BU archetype for the life of me, but I imagine it's mediocre at best there; and Zulaport Cutthroat would likely represent a significant upgrade in that slot for the BG deck. The only concern with taking out the Skeleton would be whether there remains enough sacrifice fodder in the set, with three Eldrazi spawn producers at common, between black and green.

I think Mutagenic Growth is important because 1. it completes the phyrexian mana cycle; 2. it's one of those cards that you can draft off-color; 3. it makes a lot of sense to do so in WR Voltron.

Reassembling Skeleton is the one way for the sacrifice deck to go over the top, helps black control decks and if removed there would be no more black sac fodder in 1 or 2 mana. It's not uncuttable, but I'd keep it until it becomes clear Zulaport Cutthroat, which is more parasitic, is essential in the Sacrifice deck.

I'm looking at these blue affinity cards and they are pretty much only usable in Artifacts. What can be done to make the deck less linear? How can we build more overlap?

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I think Mutagenic Growth is important because 1. it completes the phyrexian mana cycle; 2. it's one of those cards that you can draft off-color; 3. it makes a lot of sense to do so in WR Voltron.

Reassembling Skeleton is the one way for the sacrifice deck to go over the top, helps black control decks and if removed there would be no more black sac fodder in 1 or 2 mana. It's not uncuttable, but I'd keep it until it becomes clear Zulaport Cutthroat, which is more parasitic, is essential in the Sacrifice deck.

I'm looking at these blue affinity cards and they are pretty much only usable in Artifacts. What can be done to make the deck less linear? How can we build more overlap?

I did a quick search on blue cards that cared about artifacts in some way. These were the only ones I feel that could be pushed toward inclusion:

These all fall into the same category of servicable in any deck but best in the artifact deck. There wasn't anything I could see with cross synergy, (like +1/+1 counters or being an elemental). Is there any reason that these cards can't just exist as is? Isn't it nice to have some cards dedicated more to that archetype than any other so they go to the person that needs them?

I'd keep Qumulox as it is a pretty heavy beater for that deck. You could swap the Hoverguard for the Tinkerer and maybe swap the Thoughtcast for Epiphany? These would only be minor tweaks though and personally I would try and keep it as close to MM2015 as possible.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Uh...

???

Actually, the execution of the artifact theme in Origins is pretty boss. There's a few more gems there for sure. Problem is, it's in UR, not WU.

Seems good for the common slot, but Aeronaut Tinkerer is probably better?