Sets Modern Masters 2017 (MMA3?)

qHs2vlJ.jpg

Wizards' idea of a fun limited format

melty, what did the opposition look like? Were any of the games even close (and if so, what happened)?
First match was against R/G beats. i was manascrewed (3 lands for several turns and only 4 drops in hand) but i barely stabilzed with 2 life left. Second game he manascrewed and i stomped the game.

Second match was against bant populate. Game 1 opponent got t4 Advent of the Wurm-> t5 unflinching courage (he started the game). Luckily i had a Dinrova Horror on my turn 6. After that the game got into a halt. The game got out of hand when i went Sphinx's Rev -> snapcaster mage.

Game 2 i had answers to early aggression and started the nonsense with spinx's rev again.

Match 3 was against an esper deck also. He had Linvala, which ruined my Deadeye Navigator plans. Also he had 2 Tower Gargoyles backed up with an Unburial Rights and since my Grisly Spectacle didn't hit his Tower Gargoyles i really had to work for the win. First match i got to kill his gargoyles with agony warps and it helped me get to the end game where i just got more cards to draw and won that way basically.

Second game went long, but i basically played around every card in his deck since i saw his whole deck in the first game. He didn't have a fast enough start so i could prolong the game at the point where i drew more cards than him. But i won with damage only in the last extra turn :D

I was lucky that i didn't face any super hyper aggro, so i could pretty easily win with value. Bounce everything -> draw cards -> get deadeye to finish the game up

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I got to do a draft as well. Opened a Marsh Flats, first pack which was cool, then I just proritised fixing like I usually do, and ended up with this pile:

All Aboard Removal Train

Only had colour problems twice, surprisingly, once where I didn't have green and one where I didn't have red. I ended up getting them eventually and grinding out the games.

R1 was against Grixis Unearth.
I had some serious trouble against Goblin Assault as I never got to draw any of my 1/3 card drawers. Game one consisted of removal on everything until I hit Arachnus Spinner, which kept the Assualt in check and pecking at him every now and then. I managed to miracle a Temporal Mastery while his creatures were tapped to swing twice with the spider and a Zealous Conscripts from my hand the next turn for a total of 15 damage.
Game 2 was more of the same until I stabilised and was pecking for 2 at a time with Entomber Exarch. I finally drew a decent clock in the Spider, cast it and passed. He Traiterous Instincted it to swing for lethal and I tapped it to web itself for the sickest play. The web fell off and I swung with my team to finish him off.

R2 was against Grixis Control (from a different draft table)
This was the grindiest matchup ever. He managed to draw slightly too many lands in the first game for me to punch through with my Spire Monitor after a lot of tradeoffs.
The second game I was red screwed for quite a while, while he Ghostly Flickered his Sea Gate Oracle and Mist Raven twice, both times bouncing back the Sea Gate Oracle, to Slight 5 cards into his hand, which I almost managed to get past. He had 4 cards left in his library until he hit a Falkenrath Noble and with me on 2 life I couldn't block without dying. So I died on turn 3 of time :\

R3 was against BWg Life
Not much to say here except I just removed everything he had and kept beating down with my dorky 1 powered guys until he died.

Ended up 2-0-1

Format seems interesting enough. Seems heavily revolved the EtB effects (and blink subsequently) so all the games are extremely grindy. I wonder if any of the red aggressive decks have enough punch to get through. Grindy is definitely my forte, so I had a good time. Probably not paying AU$40 to do it again though.

Format seems interesting enough. Seems heavily revolved the EtB effects (and blink subsequently) so all the games are extremely grindy. I wonder if any of the red aggressive decks have enough punch to get through. Grindy is definitely my forte, so I had a good time. Probably not paying AU$40 to do it again though.
Gruul War Chant and Teleport should do the trick when things get into a halt :)

Opened a box with two others. Must say, this set is a ludicrously fun Pack Wars set.

Had one bout where the rare was Past in Flames, and I used both casts of it to flashback two spells. Very fun.