Sets (NEO) Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty Previews

spiritsisterscall.jpg

I might be cubing with this. It feels like the *perfect* archetype anchor for W/B midrange reanimator decks. Sure, you can't recycle the same permanent over and over again, but this thing can still generate an insane amount of value. I am very excited to sacrifice a Satyr Wayfinder to bring out Archon of Cruelty!! The only thing I'm fuzzy on is whether or not the reanimated creatures still trigger "dies" abilities, as this exiling effect appears to be a replacement effect.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
spiritsisterscall.jpg

I might be cubing with this. It feels like the *perfect* archetype anchor for W/B midrange reanimator decks. Sure, you can't recycle the same permanent over and over again, but this thing can still generate an insane amount of value. I am very excited to sacrifice a Satyr Wayfinder to bring out Archon of Cruelty!! The only thing I'm fuzzy on is whether or not the reanimated creatures still trigger "dies" abilities, as this exiling effect appears to be a replacement effect.
Incidentally works really well with blink! If you target a reanimated permanent with a blink effect, it will actually return to the battlefield without the "If this permanent would leave ..." clause!

See, e.g., the rules for Dreams of the Dead: "If a creature returned to the battlefield with Dreams of the Dead would leave the battlefield for any reason, it’s exiled instead — unless the spell or ability that’s causing the creature to leave the battlefield is actually trying to exile it! In that case, it succeeds at exiling it. If it later returns the creature card to the battlefield (as Oblivion Ring or Flickerwisp might, for example), the creature card will return to the battlefield as a new object with no relation to its previous existence."

Incidentally works really well with blink! If you target a reanimated permanent with a blink effect, it will actually return to the battlefield without the "If this permanent would leave ..." clause!

See, e.g., the rules for Dreams of the Dead: "If a creature returned to the battlefield with Dreams of the Dead would leave the battlefield for any reason, it’s exiled instead — unless the spell or ability that’s causing the creature to leave the battlefield is actually trying to exile it! In that case, it succeeds at exiling it. If it later returns the creature card to the battlefield (as Oblivion Ring or Flickerwisp might, for example), the creature card will return to the battlefield as a new object with no relation to its previous existence."
So what you're saying is Charming Prince is even better than it already was?

Why did you stop the worshipping?
(Apologies for speaking out of turn..) Without a disenchant handy, this can be a pretty oppressive card to overcome in your average game of limited. I've lost plenty of constructed games to it as well--not looking to replicate that experience in my cube. (But some playgroups would surely love it!)

Neither of those are "may" abilities, so you can draw the game pretty easily. Maybe you should make a cube in which you only win if you force a draw? ;)
"Pretty easily" is a bit of an overstatement. You need a weaver, equipped with a bracer, a triggered or activated ability of an enchantment, and a way to counter that ability so you have no way to escape the loop.

In other news, I think my biggest consideration for this set will be the ninjas. I've thought about including some before, but I never liked how horrific they were to hard-cast, and this set does a lot to combat that. Not entirely sure which ones I want to try out yet, a lot of them don't really play with other archetypes outside of the inherent qualities of ninjutsu. I'm expecting a vehicle to be included as well, but nothing has seemed like a slam-dunk yet.

Feeling a bit frustrated with sagas as of late. I really like them, so kind of annoying that they were exclusively multicolored in Kaldheim, and DFCs in this set. Might find some relevant enchantment support though, but so far most of it feels very insular.

Neither of those are "may" abilities, so you can draw the game pretty easily. Maybe you should make a cube in which you only win if you force a draw? ;)
That doesn't actually work unless there are no other activated/triggered abilities belonging to enchantments on the stack. So you'd have to add a Stifle into the mix for it to be a forced draw.

EDIT: Dang it, Mown! I literally just got home from work — why did you have to ninja me like that?

"Pretty easily" is intended as a relative comparison, not an absolute one! I'm more surprised that one even exists, frankly, as WotC's been pretty adamant about cracking down on them recently.

reckonerbankbuster.jpg

I don't know what the heck this Vehicle is supposed to be but I bloody love it. It's basically Mindmaze Tome that also ends up being a good creature in the late game. It can be both aggro "topend" and control finisher.

This is a really nifty design and I hope it ends up being good for my Cube.

(Apologies for speaking out of turn..) Without a disenchant handy, this can be a pretty oppressive card to overcome in your average game of limited. I've lost plenty of constructed games to it as well--not looking to replicate that experience in my cube. (But some playgroups would surely love it!)
Well, ofcourse you need some counterplay. But a pestilence goes a long way (with and against it).

The grafitti?

Is the rat non-physical?
Yep. I don't think I'd call jacket art "graffiti", but yep.

The sagas are all enchantment creatures, so I think they are all a bit non-physical. Also several of the saga creatures are depictions rather than "actual" creatures. Like the Kondo and Eiganjo ones, which are both sections of carvings.

Last edited:
Well, ofcourse you need some counterplay. But a pestilence goes a long way (with and against it).
Indeed! I actually pulled Pestilence a while back b/c never quite came together in drafts--I'd love to throw it back in but probably not for this reason lol. I've lost too many games to it--not signing up for any more ha.

reckonerbankbuster.jpg

I don't know what the heck this Vehicle is supposed to be but I bloody love it. It's basically Mindmaze Tome that also ends up being a good creature in the late game. It can be both aggro "topend" and control finisher.

This is a really nifty design and I hope it ends up being good for my Cube.

Card is super neat but it's a lot to take in at once, I don't think I could fairly expect folks seeing this card for the first time to reasonably evaluate it while flipping through 14 other cards at a time in a draft, let alone make full sense of it on first pass.

Every modern set really forces me to pull back from neat cards I'd otherwise love these days!

X4z37is.pngyFTwjq6.png

Blade of the Oni

This card feels like it was made for the Arena Cube. It's good early game, still useful mid-to-late game, and is interesting without being overly wordy. Wish I liked the art for it more, but it's not bad, it just doesn't look like a creature, and the neon frame one doesn't look like an artifact.

tbh, I'm just happy to get my density of artifacts up