New Project Development

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Hey guys! I thought I'd create this forum for us to talk shop, rather than do it out on the public forums. James, Suicufnoc, you guys should be able to see this thread - please reply to let me know that you can.

So you guys have expressed interest in working on two different projects, as far as I can tell:
1. Custom card drafting
2. Utility land draft

There are a couple of questions so far, like where we would host, which informs what language / libraries we should use. Ideally, I'd love to host everything here on riptidelab.com, but with our current shared hosting package on HostGator, that might prove difficult.

Our other options are to host on some providers that are known to provide support for websockets, such as nodejitsu. We might not be able to use the riptidelab.com domain, but I think that's ok. The nice part about some of these hosting platforms is that they charge you based on traffic, and especially when we're still playing around, our traffic should be low enough that we'd probably qualify for the free tier.

I suppose one question, before we even begin project #1, is whether or not we want to extend drafts.in, and simply submit a pull request for the new feature to be merged into the main codebase, and have continued to be hosted at its current site. Is there an advantage to writing a draft simulator from the ground up, versus building on top of the work on drafts.in? Other than being able to host it where we want.

My next question is - how much free time do you guys have to dabble in this stuff? As I was telling Jason and James earlier, my wife recently gave birth to a baby boy, so unfortunately my hands are tied for the foreseeable future, as far as contributing to development. I can still help from an admin point of view, though, if there's anything I can do to host on this site.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Well first off, sorry Eric I can't actually see this thread. Dunno what you can do about that.

I'm unemployed and now and then I get on a massive web design kick. I don't really know what I'm doing but I'm learning and having fun!

The utilility land draft site is now at this point: everything is installed and ready to go except that HostGator doesn't support websockets. So what I'll need to do is rewrite the page to check the database every second or so to identify new picks. For short term use I can run it off my laptop, though I hear there's a draft going to fire this weekend at 2am uk time... And I'm getting up at 5 the next day.

Custom card drafting is pretty much off my radar except that writing a drafting site sounds like an interesting challenge. The uninteresting part is loading it up with real cards. drafts.in is already quite good for that. Did someone say their sources were public?

I can't guarantee I will be constantly interested, that's the way I am, but if other people are waiting for results that usually gets me to work on stuff.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
So I've been rewriting the utilitylanddraft page and I just hit the point where my code became so much of a mess that I'm giving up for today. accccccccccch

Drafts.in uses mtgjson.com and mtgimage.com, which would make the real card part easy.
That said, it probably does make more sense to just extend drafts.in as far as the custom cards part goes. The main issue I see with that is the hosting of custom card images, which wouldn't be an issue on the small scale we'd do it at here, but may be for him.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Good point, he might not want to create a database just for card images.

What if all the image hosting were external? Right now, to draft a cube, you just paste in a cube list of valid card names. What if custom cards were just URLs that pointed to images, rather than card names? Then there wouldn't be any burden on drafts.in to come up with an image database.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
What are the downsides to external hosting? I use it for everything on my site because I have such limited disk space. I use it heavily here: jamesstevenson.co.nf/exquisitecorpse (just showing off that site, I like it). I use imgur to host images, and it has a very useful api. Looks like the api lets you upload images that are up to 10mb using post. We could write our own upload page.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I think the only downside is that someone else 'controls' the database, and if their site is unreliable, then your images disappear temporarily. Also, once you upload it to them, they may store it indefinitely, and all that. But those two small qualms aside, I think external image hosting is great!