Article Nykthos in Modern

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Can't believe I forgot about Wayfarer. I'm more sceptical about Martyr though since Nykthos wants you to play to the board while Martyr wants you to keep that stuff in hand.

CML

Contributor
Can't believe I forgot about Wayfarer. I'm more sceptical about Martyr though since Nykthos wants you to play to the board while Martyr wants you to keep that stuff in hand.

maybe we can poop out hawks and rangers and walls of omens to keep that grip nice n minty fresh

but yeah there's no chance they work well together

could those bad skred decks run nykthos effectively maybe because they're already monocolor and run reckoners and whatnot

i havent really been following modern in the past few months so i don't know whats going on, but that seems like a decent pairing

Dom Harvey

Contributor
They normally run Scrying Sheets, and having >4 colourless lands is awkward. It's also hard for them to make BTE more than a bear or support other R-heavy permanents.

I do want to find an occasion to chain Boros Reckoner into Volcano Hellion though.

I am going to try testing out a Skred Red/Nykthos deck in the next few weeks for fun. I don't know how good it will be, but I think it could do well in certain metagames. It will probably be good against the UWR Geist decks for example. Maybe someday there will be enough goblins for Nykthos to be good there, but I'm more interested in trying big red now.

The green Nykthos deck is okay, but seems more vulnerable to removal and less consistent than the Amulet of Vigor decks. I've seen it and tried it out.

Black seems like it has a lot of the pieces. You can basically play a lot of the BG/x cards. I just don't really see any synergies that make it better. I just don't think casting Phyrexian Obliterator or Gray Merchant is enough.

CML

Contributor
Nykthos might be good in Legacy Goblins, since it has a relentless draw engine. Though probably not because Vial and all.

I don't think Obliterator or Merchant are really Modern-playable, and truth be told I feel the same way about Nykthos

I mentioned this on twitter before realizing that every article also has a forum thread. Reposting in case other forum members spark an idea from it:

If I were trying Nykthos in Modern, I'd look to play Rewind. It's a shame that things like Snap aren't legal, I'd love to run a deck where pretty much every spell was "free" but you need Legacy to get most of them and I don't think it'd could be legacy viable even with all the untap spells.

CML

Contributor
That won't work, Nykthos decks have permanents and Rewind is a draw-go spell. Teferi hits an interesting parlay, though

Grand Architect, since he taps your Coralhelm for 2 colorless, is "Nykthos" in a sense. I still think those decks are really bad but delightfully creative

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I mean, I like the idea, you can Storm off in Pauper (pre-banning) with bouncelands and Snap and friends, but Rewind is probably too reactive for decks that want to be spending the mana on their own turn. Are there other untappers in Modern worth mentioning?

Not really, unfortunately. There are some interesting ones that are legacy only. High Tide has played some of them for similar reasons though they've fallen out of favor.