Sets (ONE) Phyrexia: All Will Be One Previews

I love how people are going gaga over Cacophony Scamp as if it's a new thing, and not just an upgraded

EDIT: I missed that it sacrifices itself to proliferate, and I can see why people are excited... but it's still a pretty conditional upgrade over Charger (the lack of evasion really cuts back on the potential bullshit). I don't think Hammer Time is going to be interested in splashing Red for this.

I'm aware Fireblade Charger exists; it's the card I'll be removing from the list in favor of Scamp.
And for what it's worth, I think Charger is a generically more powerful card, but it's also more narrow and less exciting.

I wasn't responding to your post directly, Mown. I can definitely agree that "sac this to proliferate!" is definitely more fun than "this gets Haste... maybe?"

exuberantfuseling.jpg

Did someone say a red one drop that interacts with proliferate? I think someone said that.

1674501092756.png

Finally a card that really speaks to me. Grind forever! With enough treasure/clue/food production, I could even see this at slightly higher power levels than where I'm at.

While I would love to loop this with Marionette Master and a nice sac outlet, I don't think it will make in. I assume Quest for the Gravelord is still better in most scenarios, as the 5/5 will often be better than the average dead body, it doesn't cost you mana to get it and also only takes three deaths. The artifact clause won't matter that much in my cube and I'm not sure how often one would actually activate this more than once in a game.

View attachment 7919

Finally a card that really speaks to me. Grind forever! With enough treasure/clue/food production, I could even see this at slightly higher power levels than where I'm at.

While I would love to loop this with Marionette Master and a nice sac outlet, I don't think it will make in. I assume Quest for the Gravelord is still better in most scenarios, as the 5/5 will often be better than the average dead body, it doesn't cost you mana to get it and also only takes three deaths. The artifact clause won't matter that much in my cube and I'm not sure how often one would actually activate this more than once in a game.
Quest also adds a counter when a creature of an opponent dies…

landofMordor

Administrator
View attachment 7920

Didn't see this card posted. I think it's genuinely pretty funny, not a card I would run in a cube. Seems pretty obviously a super friends card, and I think the first time we've granted Planeswalkers additional abilities?
They’ve definitely at least played around in this space — nicol bolas dragon-god and kasmina, enigma sage are two examples of planeswalkers that do ability-swapping. But this seems like the first non-planeswalker to do so.

My gut says better than Cutthroat, worse than Blood Artist. I've just seen the latter draining like 5 in one turn too often.

"only once per turn" is big downside for this effect, but it depends a little on how your sac deck looks. if it's more like Anvil style where you're saccing 1-2 things every turn rather than building a big board stall for a combo finish with viscera seer or whatever, this will probably work quite well for that application

What do we think of Vraan, Executioner Thane? Better than Zulaport Cutthroat? Comparable to Blood Artist? I only run the latter in my 360 and Vraan looks like a good choice for redundancy of that effect.
I think Vraan, Executioner Thane is better than ZC and Blood Artist when being used fairly or outside of Aristocrats, but worse when it is part of a Combo deck. If you're sacrificing 5 things in a turn to Goblin Bombardment, you're going to want a Blood Artist variant over Vraan. However, if you're just suiciding a Bloodsoaked Champion into a blocker every turn, Vraan, Executioner Thane is a superior option.

Because of the difference in Vraan's play patterns compared to the other Aristocrats payoffs, I would not consider Vraan, Executioner Thane redundancy for that card type. I think it plays well in conjunction to what the other cards have to offer, but this doesn't seem to be a case where you can cut Zulaport Cutthroat and expect Vraan to pick up the same amount of slack. It's fundamentally a different card.

On a different note... I'm a bit torn.

On the one hand, I kinda want to dump some of these into one of my 2-3-7 cubes:

Pros: They explicitly mention MV <3, and that makes me, well, <3. They'd also increase the amount of proliferate in the cube (I currently have one card that proliferates in my latest 2-3-7 cube).
Cons: I don't actually have that much in the way of counters in the cube (Pollenbright Druid is in there as a Dauntless Survivor with a big upside if you also draft some of the cards whose kickers give +1/+1 counters). Proliferate in Blue might give the wrong impression.

(EDIT: Yes, I know that they're actually MV <4, but that's less charming.)

I wonder where all the For Mirrodin! cards are. I'm not interested in any toxic or corrupted cards and most oil cards seem to be designed with a proliferate rich environment in mind.

That being said, I'm excited to draft ONE. It feels very different, but in a cool way.

I adore Vraan, Executioner Thane.

As @TrainmasterGT said, it doesn't necessarily compete for a Blood Artist or Zulaport Cutthroat "slot"; not in terms of a vague "# of cards to support an archetype" sense, at least. Where it does become a "This vs. That" situation is in "how do I fit this into my cube?"

Exactly 1/3 of my black 2-drops were first printed in 2022. That's wild. This was a relatively competitive slot beforehand; it wasn't long ago that I was tearing my hair out to make room for Jadar during Midnight Hunt, and lowered my mana curve to avoid strictly making that decision (and accidentally make cube more playable overall, tbh).

Looking at just those six newly-added 2-drop creatures, all of them but one are cross-archetype hits: very flexible cards that make a real impact on the board state and contribute towards many different goals. (The Raven Man is my dude and contributes to the "build a novel deck around this one dumb card" goal that I try to support with ~1% of my list to make the cube maximally replayable).

Where do I want my Blood Artists and Zulaport Cutthroats? For my 720 list, I like them in the RB recursive aggro decks primarily, the Abzan and Jund token/attrition decks secondarily, and beyond that, the much rarer-to-come-together BR or BW combo-focused aristocrats deck third. Because my cube is so big and has no duplicates, it's very rare for that third option to come together succinctly.

And I'm OK with that! When your cube is the size of two draft pods, you sacrifice consistency and you need your cards to be more flexible across different archetypes rather than planted as an established "deck". This is a feature rather than a bug and is why, now that I'm 8,000 miles away from my old playgroup and without any expectations of having a new one that requires a 720-card list in the next two years, I've kept my cube the same size.

But because of that, Vraan, Executioner Thane is probably better in most decks that actually get drafted than either Blood Artist or Zulaport Cutthroat for my list. It would take 3-5 creatures dying in a turn cycle to beat life drain that the 1-2 I can reasonably expect in a recursive aggro or tokens build to provide for Vraan to be bested, and it's a beater in its own right.

So am I replacing either of them with Vraan? No, I'm replacing Dauthi Voidwalker because I've been fully convinced by you all that it has little place in anything except a powermax cube with more concern for the "strongest in slot" than for maximizing interaction. So I get to cheat.

But yes, otherwise, I would. Probably.