Sets (ONE) Phyrexia: All Will Be One Previews

drowninichor.jpg

Drown in Ichor
{1}{B}
Sorcery
Target creature gets -4/-4 until end of turn. Proliferate.

I wonder how exciting people will find this card to be in practice. Removal+Synergy seems like a winning combination, right?

Honestly, this just showcases one of the things I don't like about the current Phyrexia storyline — they've buffed Phyrexia way too much, to the point where it actually loses some of its impact for me.

Mmm, I'd actually cast this as the Alien vs. Aliens problem. As soon as you can reasonably hurt them, they're no longer nearly as creepy. In NPH, the best we could hope for was that a few people could escape, but here the story feels like a formality; we all know that the phyrexians will be defeated by whatever protagonists are chosen by a focus group.

”The Gauntlet That Will Pinch”* {1}{R}
For Mirrodin! (when etb create 2/2 and attach)
Equipped creature gets +1/-1
Equip {1}

* I have no idea if that’s the name, no hablo Español :)
More like "The Foul Gauntlet That Has Spikes", but I like your translation :p

I saw this and thought it wouldn't make a cut, but I like that you like it. I was comparing it to Bonesplitter (as one does with equipment), and although the equipment part gives 1 power less it could be well compensated by the 3/1 it brings on ETB. I'm mostly affraid the -1 would kill a lot of things in an aggro deck and it would be difficult to use after the Mirran token is gone.

cankerbloom1.jpg

"A Thing Related to Gangrene"
{1}{G}, 3/2 Phyrexian Fungus
{1}, sacrifice CARDNAME: Choose one -
- Destroy target artifact.
- Destroy target enchantment.
- Proliferate.

Goodbye Reclamation Sage I guess.

cankerbloom1.jpg

- Proliferate.

Well, they are different. Given all the artifacts I guess the sage is too strong. The sage is card advantage. This one is not (but a stronger creature)

bun2mumlb6da1.png

Half of these set previews hurt my eyes more than Alchemy releases, holy wow.

I was recently considering adding in Tamiyo's Safekeeping to fill the slot I've rotated between Berserk, Mutagenic Growth, and Blossoming Defiance. I think it's about even with Defiance, but I actually prefer this one to all of them at first blush. At 720 cards, I do believe I can get away with at least one combat trick in the color, but I've struggled to find one that's actually getting played. Do y'all think this one can turn the tide with its awesome potential upside?

cankerbloom1.jpg

- Proliferate.

I’ve wanted a better viridian zealot for a while, and they upgraded it in all the right places. Wouldn’t say this objectively better than Rec Sage, but being a 2 drop is a big deal. Green 3s is one of the more congested spots in my cube. I also prefer the aggressive body.

1674226060565.png

Charring Spawner
Creature - Phyrexian Beast
When ~ enters the battlefield, creature a 1/1 red Phyrexian Goblin creature token.
Whenever another creature or artifact you control is put into the graveyard from play, put an oil counter on ~.
Remove three oil counters from ~: Exile the top card of your library. You may play that card this turn.
2/3

Interesting Rakdos card here. I like that it triggers from both, creatures dying and artifacts getting cracked. Very solid base stats too. Not sure if I will test this at some point, but if so, I'd want to increase my treasure producers.

landofMordor

Administrator
I was going to mention how Oil reminds me of MIR's Charge counters, but then I realized...

Oil reminds me most strongly of Fading, Vanishing, and Spore counters. Charge counters mostly went on noncreature artifacts, and were mostly used in a straightforward "you get X uses out of this unless you do tricky stuff". Fading and Vanishing's best designs were things like Saproling Burst where it wasn't straightforward how to spend them, and Spore was used as a kind of "speed governor" that limited the rate of acquiring Saprolings. We're seeing a lot of those latter templates in this card file. And we're also seeing a surprising amount of discipline from the designers (no +1/+1 counters to interfere, e.g., and consistent messaging that More Oil = More Good).

In other words, I'm really warming to Oil as R&D has used it. It will get more and more grokkable with more density, which means it's a tough sell for Cube, but I can at least appreciate it as a design tool.

Basilica-Skullbomb-ONE-672.jpg
Surgical-Skullbomb-ONE-672.jpg
Dross-Skullbomb-ONE-672.jpg
Furnace-Skullbomb-ONE-672.jpg
Maze-Skullbomb-ONE-672.jpg
Big fan of this cycle. It takes the best parts of the first Spellbomb cycle (being able to sacrifice them for {1} to draw a card), and combines them with the more consistently powerful abilities of the second Spellbomb cycle. Furnace Skullbomb is definitely the most situational of the 5 (mostly because Oil counters are insular to this set), but I think it has the ability to be good when combined with the high-value oil cards we're getting.

My personal favorite of this bunch is Dross Skullbomb. {2}{B} to draw a card and get a raise dead is pretty reasonable on something we can loop with Emry, Lurker of the Loch. Maybe these will finally encourage me to pull the trigger and try the Artifact pile deck of my nightmares dreams in my Cube.

I think this is the most promising card for me spoiled so far. The design is kind of opaque because of how much attention the proliferate effect takes, and while there is some use for proliferation in my cube, it's not that appealing of an effect. However, even ignoring that, it trades with 2-power creatures or two 1-toughness ones, is pretty threatening with an equipment, and very interestingly, flings itself. Need a removal spell in a pinch? Want to deal 14 damage with a Become Immense? I think this is a card that can feel very rewarding to play with.

We may hear of it very soon in modern hammer I guess, it's a turn 2 kill, and i'm very surprised it is printed this way
I don’t think we will see Cacophony Scamp in Modern, at least not in a way that improves the hammer time deck. For the turn 2 kill to work, you need three very specific cards in a specific order and the opponent has to have 0 interaction or blockers. I think if a single gut shot, fatal push, or prismatic ending can disrupt a combo, it’s probably not too great.

Remember, Infect has had a turn 2 combo kill since Modern’s inception, but we don’t really see too much infect running around today. Merely being able to kill on turn 2, even in an already powerful shell, doesn’t necessarily translate to a slam dunk gameplan.