Sets (ONE) Phyrexia: All Will Be One Previews

Actually, current thinking is that "battle" is a real type, just not one we've seen yet, something similar to dungeons/venture. Hopefully this is the "big change" magic will be seeing and not something worse.

It seems to be the case, actually.

Looking it up on scryfall, Tarfire is a "Instantáneo tribal" in spanish. So there is a very real chance, that "battle" is a new spell type.

But how could it possibly work?

The Atraxa is from the main set. And we’ve already had all the mechanics from the set and the debut video. So I doubt it will bre a major change.

Actually, current thinking is that "battle" is a real type, just not one we've seen yet, something similar to dungeons/venture. Hopefully this is the "big change" magic will be seeing and not something worse.

This press release as copied by MTG Arena Zone says that magic will "change forever" with March of the Machine, and the devs have been hinting a lot (allegedly; I can't quite find where) that this change won't just be to the lore but also to the mechanics of the game. Note that I can't take credit for this theory, but there's a mechanic called Skirmish mentioned in MaRo's article on WAR that sounds like it could have easily been repurposed to be an all-new card type. It worked as follows in playtest:

The idea behind skirmish was that we wanted there to be a battle between you and your opponent. This battle would be overlaid onto the game and would generate effects that affected the game. The second technology that skirmish used was first seen on the Monarch token in Conspiracy: Take the Crown. This uses an external card as a game piece that outlines its own rules. The cards that generate the Monarch token don't tell you what to do, it just generates the game component which then explains itself. Skirmish would do the same thing, which was to generate a Skirmish token, meaning any card with the skirmish mechanic would have "create a Skirmish if one hasn't been created yet."

The Skirmish token had a tiny "game board" on it showing a field of combat. When you performed one of the stated conditions, you advanced on the field toward the opponent's side. If you advanced enough, you won the skirmish. You would do this because there was a payout for winning, a generated effect. Skirmish went through a lot of variations with a lot of different advancement conditions and a lot of different payouts.

Battles could be the finished version of Skirmish, in that they're an all-new card type that importantly exists on the battlefield (get it?) and can address a lot of the issues with Venture (non-interactivity, parasitism, etc) while still providing a new dimension to contest. Assuming this is true, I'm excited to see what comes out of the mechanic. Our last new card type in Sagas (I'm not counting MDFCs, much though I love them) was a resounding success, and I'm confident that play design can come up with something just as interesting.

The Atraxa is from the main set. And we’ve already had all the mechanics from the set and the debut video. So I doubt it will be a major change.

Absolutely! I agree that it's not coming in ONE and is much more likely a throw-forward to MOM (and a way of selling the community on this change by revealing it on a(n) (in)famous character's card).

Last edited:
It seems to be the case, actually.

Looking it up on scryfall, Tarfire is a "Instantáneo tribal" in spanish. So there is a very real chance, that "battle" is a new spell type.

Yeah, the card type "Tribal" is written as that both in English and Spanish. The "batalla" appearing on the Spanish version of the new Atraxa just means "battle", it can't mean anything else. So either it is a new card type and they stopped putting tribal in the reminder text for all card types, or it is a weird translation mistake for text that already existed and was previously translated correctly.

Weird translation mistakes are uncommon but not unheard of in the Spanish version of cards. The Spanish Ruric Tar, the Unbowed affects opponents instead of players and so it destroyed me on that prerelease. Of course, only the English rules text is official, but no one knew the original text of this ogre that early.

EDIT: I was writing before reading Zoss's post...
Absolutely! I agree that it's not coming in ONE and is much more likely a throw-forward to MOM (and a way of selling the community on this change by revealing it on a(n) (in)famous character's card).
...and would like to note that they already did this for Tribal with the original printing of Tarmogoyf. It made a lot of sense there since foreshadowing was kind of the point of the Time Spiral set, but this also makes sense as just a throwback to that.

Last edited:
Battles could be the finished version of Skirmish ...

Yeah, potentially. But you also mentioned Saga's, which aren't a new card type, but an enchantment subtype. So ... why isn't 'Battle' an enchantment too? The reason for it would at least not seem obvious to me. New card types carry a lot of problematic stuff with them. Like, what colors can interact with them? Positively and negatively.

Oh dear! It looks like the person on Mythicspoiler who said it is a mistranslation was wrong! I will update it again.

...but there's a mechanic called Skirmish mentioned in MaRo's article on WAR that sounds like it could have easily been repurposed to be an all-new card type. It worked as follows in playtest. Battles could be the finished version of Skirmish, in that they're an all-new card type that importantly exists on the battlefield (get it?) and can address a lot of the issues with Venture (non-interactivity, parasitism, etc) while still providing a new dimension to contest. Assuming this is true, I'm excited to see what comes out of the mechanic. Our last new card type in Sagas (I'm not counting MDFCs, much though I love them) was a resounding success, and I'm confident that play design can come up with something just as interesting.
I was going to comment this as well! It sounds like they had done a lot of work on Skirmish but only abandoned it when they realized that the "Planeswalker War set" had too much emphasis on the "war" and not enough emphasis on the "Planeswalkers." Since March of the Machine is a literal war for the multiverse, with armies of every plane meeting the Phyrexians on the field of battle, it makes sense that WOTC would lean heavily into the war angle for this set.

I'm just curious as to whether or not Battles will be something we see in every set (like Planeswalkers), or if they will be something for only rare occasions (like Dungeons and Conspiracies).

Ohhhh this is cool.
ufmpzscwupca1.png

It is. But like most of what we've seen so far, it seems tricky to utilize for cube. Which cube deck on which power level wants to, for example, spend three mana and 10 lifepoints for a treasure and a Divination?

I really want to see more "For Mirrdoin!" cards. Seems like a better version of living weapon, and as soon as they drop some cards with it, that actually synergize with other themes from my cube than just artifacts, I'll be tempted.

I really want to see more "For Mirrdoin!" cards. Seems like a better version of living weapon, and as soon as they drop some cards with it, that actually synergize with other themes from my cube than just artifacts, I'll be tempted.
Simply moving 2 power from the equipment to the token, compared to Living Weapon, makes a huge difference. The initial body is much more impressive without having to set the Equip cost sky high. Really clean and effective change. Between For Mirrodin! and Reconfigure, equips have gotten a lot better recently.

sheoldredsedict.jpgossification.jpg
Good removal at two! Very happy with both of these, they hit a good balance of what I'm looking for in my removal suite. With the {1}{G} 3/2 that sacrifices for {1} to disenchant, there's a great "cycle" of uncommon 2 MV pushed removal cards going, can't wait to see Red's

mondrakglorydominus.jpg

I currently run Jinnie Fay, Jetmir's Second and Chatterfang, Squirrel General, and will absolutely be trying Mondrak out. In addition to having absolutely incredible artwork, Jinnie Fay and Chatterfang have shown me that even a relatively high-powered cube environment (for 720 cards, at least) there is absolutely room for sillier engine cards like this. Can't wait to follow up Mondrak with a Deranged Hermit or Old One Eye (and maybe I can finally justify a Academy Manufactor package if I don't mind introducing more unnecessary complexity....)

Good news, we got (some of?) the RW Commander deck cards from some random YouTuber today:
glimmerlens.jpg
kembasbanner.jpg
hexplatewallbreaker.jpg

Glimmer Lens is priced to move as "literally just a bear", so I'm a fan of it because I love grizzly bears.