Sets (ONE) Phyrexia: All Will Be One Previews

I see that sneaky "Sphere" subtype on The Mycosynth Gardens! You can't hide that from me, WotC! I wonder if that's going to have any rules meaning, or if it's just a flavor thing?

KFukh2C.png

Ooh, I like it.

1673002184840.png

I am still cubing Goblin Assault for Sacrifice/Wildfire, but it hasn't been something people want to pick. Maybe I'll try this obvious upgrade, if it doesn't prove too snowbally.

Fingers crossed for a showcase version, but it seems like only cards with the phyrexian creature type get it this time.

I see that sneaky "Sphere" subtype on The Mycosynth Gardens! You can't hide that from me, WotC! I wonder if that's going to have any rules meaning, or if it's just a flavor thing?

KFukh2C.png

Ooh, I like it.
Wowzers, even if you target it you can hand a poison counter to an opponent!

These cards look sweet, but I'm actively trying to reduce complexity in my cube and so probably am only interested in The Wanderer 3.0 thus far. Still, I'm hopeful for the rest of the set if this is anything to go by!

Urabrask's Forge also looks cool as someone who has always wanted to make Zektar Shrine Expedition work, but it's a fair bit more complex.

Last edited:

landofMordor

Administrator
Also, since when is there a Watchwolf renaissance? Have I been missing things again? I wonder if I Fleecemane Lion would be excessive in either of my 2-3-7 cubes...
Hajar, Harbin, Evangel of Synthesis were all in BRO with insanely pushed stat lines at 2 mana. It’s also notable that Blue is getting “3/3”s for 2 mana for the first time with minimal drawback.

and that’s on top of Third Path Iconoclast, Balmor, Raff 2, and other recent 2-drops that are pushed but just don’t meet the 3/3 statline. So I said “renaissance” in the BRO LP set prospective, and that’s what TGT is referencing.

I dunno if they could have printed something so against my cube design preferences outside an Un-set but they've pulled it off. So much unnecessary complexity, everything wrong with current MTG design with overly wordy cards. Not being able to block as well as zero evasion just makes this real mediocre to me.
The zero evasion I do not mind. The zero this is what white does is irking me more. White does not pay life. Point. Even pherexia white. (White black okay but not single white).
In a vacuum I do not mind but coming from the wreckage of the blue insect I do mind

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
And even then, these are white making an opponent lose life based on your creature plays.
Actually, Suture Priest makes your opponents lose life based on their creature plays. These both feel like they are playing around in a very similar space to Skrelv's Hive, because all three pair a life loss mode with a life gain mode, albeit in different ways.

They did use a sort of similar perversion of white to show how Phyrexia corrupts everything before.

Even in your examples white does not pay life… there is a huge difference in making your opponent lose life and using your own life as a resource. Damage causes life loss so making an opponent lose life is not that much of a perversion of white in my book

Even in your examples white does not pay life… there is a huge difference in making your opponent lose life and using your own life as a resource. Damage causes life loss so making an opponent lose life is not that much of a perversion of white in my book
How about 25 years of history of White life payments?

White isn’t allowed to get life payments very often— the flavor is a little odd most of the time and it could be too powerful as White is the primary color of life gain. However, in sets where it makes sense and abilities where the cost is appropriately balanced, White life payments can and do exist. I feel like Phyrexia is the perfect place for this sort of ability— don’t you?

Team WhiteCanPayLifeBecauseIt'sCoolToSeeNewDepthsToColorsJustLikeWhenWhiteGotReanimatorInStrixhaven:SchoolOfMages'sLoreholdFaction

But Crovax doesn't count from the list above :p Like all other planeshifted cards, they were allowed to specifically break the color pie for one set and are not reference points for future color pie evaluations.

I agree
I think it could be a very interesting angle for white to go into.

Do you think white’s taxing counterspells should be weaker than blue’s, on par with blue’s, be better than blue’s or totally replace blue’s?