Sets (ONE) Phyrexia: All Will Be One Previews

Team WhiteCanPayLifeBecauseIt'sCoolToSeeNewDepthsToColorsJustLikeWhenWhiteGotReanimatorInStrixhaven:SchoolOfMages'sLoreholdFaction

But Crovax doesn't count from the list above :p Like all other planeshifted cards, they were allowed to specifically break the color pie for one set and are not reference points for future color pie evaluations.
White has had reanimation since the beginning.

White has had reanimation since the beginning.

Yeah sorry. You are right of course. Not what I meant (but I see this is what I wrote) They have almost never any reanimator spells for big things. This happened super rarely before Strixhaven.

Last edited:
They basically stopped with white reanimation after, I think, 7th edition roughly. Then they tested the waters with white wheenie reanimator and finally got back to also allow it to reanimate bigger things occasionally.

Do you think white’s taxing counterspells should be weaker than blue’s, on par with blue’s, be better than blue’s or totally replace blue’s?
I'm of the opinion that White counterspells shouldn't be much more powerful than Quench. As much as I love countermagic, I think too many counterspells lead to unfun gameplay where one or more players are unable to resolve anything. Unironically I think that's the reason why so many people hate control decks– while the gameplan of controlling the game and resource economy isn't inherently un-fun, people hate not being able to resolve their spells. This is especially true when the control player can drop a game-winning bomb like Teferi, Hero of Dominaria and still hold up a mana leak to shut down interaction.

Therefore, I think giving White counterspells is a risky business. On one hand, I think giving decks like Selesnya Tokens and Boros Aggro the ability to disrupt the opponent's plan is a net positive. On the other hand, giving decks like Azorius Control another entire color of counterspells sounds like it could be miserable. This isn't even to mention the fact that decks like Abzan and Mardu would now have access to counterspells, which could make them reactive powerhouses potentially even better than some Blue decks.

For that reason, I think White counterspells need to be relatively weak, if they exist at all. They need to be good enough to be reasonable options, but not so good that they bolster or invalidate Blue's counterspells. I think Mana Tithe is an appropriately powered White counterspell– but I don't know what else they should look like.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
As much as I love countermagic, I think too many counterspells lead to unfun gameplay where one or more players are unable to resolve anything.
I agree. But giving white counterspells doesn't mean there will be more counterspells. For example, NEO had four counterspells, three at common, and one at uncommon. Give white one of those counterspells is all I'm saying.

If you wanted to put counterspells into another color it would probably have to be white. The reason they haven't commited to mana leaks in white is because from a gameplay perspective they usually feel more like cheap gotchas, which doesn't align with white's identity the same way taxing effects do. I would argue that, perhaps unintuitively, hard counters fit white's profile better if you are to give them counterspells. When white tells you to stop, you stop.

I honestly have zero plans to include any of Poison-esque or Proliferate cards in either of my cubes but I am very psyched to see all the other new stuff. I reserve the right to change my mind as spoiler season unfolds but I would be very surprised if that changes.

Do agree this set already feels VERY wordy and complex and exhausting to read. I wish they would dial it back considerably.

Hot take: White already has a ton of really powerful (if somewhat janky) counterspells... it's just that most of them don't say counter target spell.

(I admit that Pay No Heed is a stretch, since it doesn't prevent spells from being cast or make targets invalid, but it does tell certain strategies to shut up and take a hike in a very satisfying way, and isn't that the true meaning of counterspells?)

If they do white counter spells I also think they will be either taxing or delaying like we’ve seen before. I possibly very restrictive.

I think the first one, two or three will be quite weak. Think Baleful Beholder for black enchantment removal. And then they will probably ramp it up and even make some rare ones for a big splash and to sell packs. It will feel like a patch to the game with its newness.

However it is very recent they announced white would get card draw in (almost) every set from now on. So I don’t think white is next in line for an update.

I think it's time that black's enchantment removal reaches the quality of red's artifact removal. Unlink green and white, those two colors can only kill one of the noncreature, nonland permanents, but in that category, they should at least be able to keep up.

These two are fine-ish. But I can't wait to replace Debt to the Kami and Pharika's Libation with good cards. Please, wizards.

May I present: the world's cutest Mother of Runes!
skrelvdefectormite.jpg

I wonder how many good cards need to have toxic before there's enough that people feel comfortable giving the mechanic a try. I think toxic is gravy on most cards with the mechanic– I definitely don't think these cards need a poison archetype to be good. Having said that, I know some people see "poison" and think "trapping drafters" (as the original Infect mechanic often did), so they want there to be a critical mass of Toxic cards so that the counters actually matter.

Personally, I'm kind of close to wanting to try some of these– I think if I had a stronger artifact theme Skrelv's Hive would have been enough to push me over. As is, there are some really nice G/W toxic cards. I could definitely see trying some of these out on quality alone.

I feel like Toxic is... alright?

The problem with Infect was always that Infect mixes really awkwardly with creatures that deal normal damage — the only deck I can think of that "splashes" for Infect is Modern Hammertime, and that's just because Inkmoth Nexus is effectively free and Colossus Hammer turns it into a one-shot.

Maybe this set will mean that it's finally time for these guys to shine?

Part of me hopes that enough of the Toxic cards will be to my tastes that I'll finally feel justified in cubing Rot Wolf.

(I also look forward to running Fynn, with his marvelous "Creatures you control with deathtouch have Toxic 2" ability. :p)

Yeah I think at this point in magic history I'm fine with sets getting their own dumb mechanics that only work inside that one set, and then occasionally get stuff like modern horizons that just give tons and tons of nicely designed cards

Hot take

I wish Horizon sets didn’t exist :p Also all the Masters and Legends sets and the infinite Commander sets and the infinite squared Secret Lairs.

More focus on Standard please and maybe an annual fun set like Conspiracy, Planechase, Archenemy, un-set etc.

You know its a cube forum and not a constructed one when you see modern horizon and nicely designed cards in the same sentence.

Edit : I posted at the same time with Velrun, but i disagree with him. While in constructed you play with the pool available, Wotc giving us tons of toys to build around is great for cube ! If you don't like new toys, don't include them.