jN23u7nsdY.png

Packaging:
en_2sjDm3uasd.png
en_6SAzjyg6SW.png
en_UQlGGg3rBD.png
en_NXkDKUjJbS.png
en_dJhLB86HLO.png
en_n1kuiDtyNZ.png
"The Compleat Bundle is packed with even more awesomeness from the set, including a traditional foil promo card, 40 foil basic lands, 12 Phyrexia: All Will Be One Set Boosters, and 12 cards featuring a special foil treatment (two mythic rare cards and 10 basic lands)."

d0a0b25f-phyrexian-mite-576x1024.jpg
ONE-Leaked-Cards.jpg

Myr-Convert.jpg
Sinew-Dancer.jpg
More at 12.

I like phyrexians and I'm looking forward to this set with cool, creepy dark fantasy/sci-fi art.

However, with three set mechanics spoiled, that all don't fit my cube in general (toxic, corrupted and proliferate) I am approaching spoilers this time with zero expectations.

I don't like the Phyrexians.
I like phyrexians
Pack it in gang, that's Riptide Bingo for spoiler season right there.

Jokes aside, set looks neat! I'm glad that we're getting a way to make a little poison work with Corrupted as it means that you don't have to try to shoot the moon to make the mechanic useful. Ten planeswalkers is a lot, though.

Also, I'll be collecting credit for predicting that Venser would get reanimated by the Phyrexians, thank you very much.

Last edited:
jorkadeenfirstgoldwarden.jpg

This seems pushed in every way that's good for Cube. Good equipment payoff that doesn't require you to go all in, synergizes with other power increases, draws cards, and has relevant types. There are only 4 rebels in the main set, so it's probably not enough to make a theme out of unless the Rebels commander deck is really juiced, but it's worth pointing out a useful type in addition to human.

jorkadeenfirstgoldwarden.jpg

This seems pushed in every way that's good for Cube. Good equipment payoff that doesn't require you to go all in, synergizes with other power increases, draws cards, and has relevant types. There are only 4 rebels in the main set, so it's probably not enough to make a theme out of unless the Rebels commander deck is really juiced, but it's worth pointing out a useful type in addition to human.
Rebels are a nogogo. Simply put, they are repetitive and boring since you can search them scalingly. It seems fun, but playing and playing against it does not feel fun (from a person who thinks stacks and so on is fair as long as it is not repetitive).

Maybe they ran out of text room for some cards? Poisonous is 4 letters more than Toxic after all
Also it is a language fail.
Altogether: poison is synonymous with venom and toxin, poisonous is NOT always synonymous with venomous. Sometimes poisonous is, because you can say stuff like, "that blade is poisonous: it has poison on the blade" and it is the less specific version of something like "that blade is venomous: it has venom on the blade". But you CANNOT say "the king cobra is a poisonous snake" because the snake produces venom (which is a form of poison* that they inject or shoot into or onto their victims ;)) and poisonous is the terminology that we use to refer to beings that do not attack with poison but instead are poisonous when you eat, bite, or inhale the being (ie: the poison dart frog, red cap mushrooms, and lots and lots of oxygen).

Toxic is more broad though, it can refer to the king cobra (venomous), the poison dart frog (poisonous), oxygen (poisonous gas), and your friend at work that constantly berates you with their words.
So overall it is a better word**, but imo we really need to change that poisonous definition already :p

*I am being a bit facetious here, but technically it is correct
**When we inevitably have the set that has radiation, toxic isn't going to fit the definition.

But maybe Argentum/Mirrodin/New Phyrexia is.

And New Phyrexia cannot not have poison counters.

Edit: Well..it can..if Eldrazi titans can lose annihilator and godlike immortality, then Phyrexia can also lose poison. But we all know how that ended on BfZ and Oath of the Gatewatch.

Last edited:
Well, I would certainly accept phyrexians with no poison counters. I have indeed 7 phyrexians in my cube right now, they draw cards with lifeloss when they etb, make golem tokens or shut off activated abilities.

Well, I would certainly accept phyrexians with no poison counters. I have indeed 7 phyrexians in my cube right now, they draw cards with lifeloss when they etb, make golem tokens or shut off activated abilities.

Phyrexians are not the same as New Phyrexia.
One is citizens, the other is a plane.

I agree that we need poison/infect/whatever if we're revisiting New Phyrexia, but I'm not exactly hoping to add any creatures with infect/toxic/poisonous to my cube outside of maybe Blightsteel Colossus. That said, Corrupted is probably the best way to tempt me into running just a little poison--as a treat--that ONE could hope for as it offers a greatly improved fail case for poison decks that can't quite get there. Same with Toxic, allowing poison to be a backup but not mutually exclusive wincon for aggro seems like a win.

Tldr, while I don't love poison as it's done here on, like, the three cards leaked/previewed, I don't think there's realistically a better option we could have hoped for.

Last edited:
Rebels are a nogogo. Simply put, they are repetitive and boring since you can search them scalingly. It seems fun, but playing and playing against it does not feel fun (from a person who thinks stacks and so on is fair as long as it is not repetitive).
I agree that revisiting the Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero period of standard with a heavily non-singleton rebels deck is probably not a great Cube archetype. However, I think if some of the new Rebels we get over the coming set(s?) are good enough, their presence makes some of the older tutor rebels a lot more viable. Amrou Scout and Blightspeaker, for example, are both a lot cooler when they're fun toolbox cards in addition to reasonable bodies.

Hm, is poison really a mechanism worth revisiting?

I think poison is, but Infect isn't.

I'm honestly kinda bummed that we're getting a "fixed" Infect in ONE. Not because I want more real Infect (that ship has sailed), but because I wish that they would have gone with a more flavorful version of the archetype. I want to see the control version of poison, where you slip a couple poison counters onto villain hero with cards like Grip of Phyrexia¹, turn on all of your Compleated cards, and then eventually grind your opponent out with proliferate.

Control honestly fits better with the overall flavor of a creeping, inevitable infection anyways, and it kinda annoys me that there simply isn't the card pool to build that kind of archetype.

¹ Or, at least, a cheaper version. I could see a version of Pointed Discussion that gave someone a poison counter instead of making you a Blood token.

I agree that revisiting the Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero period of standard with a heavily non-singleton rebels deck is probably not a great Cube archetype. However, I think if some of the new Rebels we get over the coming set(s?) are good enough, their presence makes some of the older tutor rebels a lot more viable. Amrou Scout and Blightspeaker, for example, are both a lot cooler when they're fun toolbox cards in addition to reasonable bodies.
Well, I do not like survival of the fittest type of cards and rebels, since they upsearch/are really repetitive. The best play sequence is either search for a searcher with higher cmc or for an answer. Your draw step becomes I hope to find a land and not a cheap search rebel.
Compare it with the mercenaries. These suck really hard since you can only search for a lower cmc.
The cards mentioned by @inscho are actually nice cards. They do have the toolbox like quality but are one shot. These are not repetitive but have a nice tension as opposed to the rebels.
Yes, I have played with the rebel deck of mmq block (a casual variant) and just like very fancy (I mean convoluted/weird and not storm) combo it is fun once and only once to play with and to play against. Once you know the trick you see it coming from miles away. In the case of rebels it is even tediously slow to kill and you have to hope for a mass removal. Storm is different since it could fizzle and kills in one turn, that is fair.

I think poison is, but Infect isn't.

I'm honestly kinda bummed that we're getting a "fixed" Infect in ONE. Not because I want more real Infect (that ship has sailed), but because I wish that they would have gone with a more flavorful version of the archetype. I want to see the control version of poison, where you slip a couple poison counters onto villain hero with cards like Grip of Phyrexia¹, turn on all of your Compleated cards, and then eventually grind your opponent out with proliferate.

Control honestly fits better with the overall flavor of a creeping, inevitable infection anyways, and it kinda annoys me that there simply isn't the card pool to build that kind of archetype.

¹ Or, at least, a cheaper version. I could see a version of Pointed Discussion that gave someone a poison counter instead of making you a Blood token.
“COME TO MOMMY” WB
Enchantment
When cardname etb, each opponent gets a poison counter.
At the beginning of your upkeep, choose one—
• You draw a card and lose 1 life.
• Proliferate. You gain 1 life.