General (ONE) Phyrexia: All will be One Testing/Includes Thread

Out of curiosity, why are you against using Oil counters? Are there just too many words since the card has to define what it's doing with the counters?

My cube already has +1/+1 counters that can be put on creatures via stuff like Felidar Retreat, Siege Veteran or Luminarch Aspirant. I don't want to make my drafters have to keep track of potentially two different kinds of counters on a creature with dice. The wordiness is also annoying outside of the dedicated limited environment where the oil counter itself might matter when paired alongside cards that care and/or proliferate effects.

My cube already has +1/+1 counters that can be put on creatures via stuff like Felidar Retreat, Siege Veteran or Luminarch Aspirant. I don't want to make my drafters have to keep track of potentially two different kinds of counters on a creature with dice. The wordiness is also annoying outside of the dedicated limited environment where the oil counter itself might matter when paired alongside cards that care and/or proliferate effects.
Makes sense, I'm also not playing many of the oil cards for the same reason. The only major exception I'm looking at right now is Mercurial Spelldancer, and that's only because it's a perfect Blue 2-drop.

Are you eschewing the noncreature oil cards as well?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
https://scryfall.com/search?q=o:"oil+counter"&order=rarity

Here's a helpful link if you aren't sure either way.
Worth noting that I think you're 100% in the clear for noncreature artifacts.
We were talking on the discord yesterday about Charge Counters vs Oil Counters, and in summary: there's not really a difference between two different counters (That have no inherrent rules meaning, this part is important) across your board.

Totally fine:

Maybe Problematic:

Advanced Yikes

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Not to say you can't handle advanced yikes, but if all for of those were just D6 on a card in front of me, I'D be confused! :D

This is also different if there's a D6 for +1/+1 counters and three separate punchcard discs that say Lifelink/Deathtouch/Shield, the board's a lot more reasonable.

Hopefully your players actually use the provided game help, all my drafters just stop playing 5 times during round one to go find a token (Even though I laid them out sorted and color coded during deckbuilding)
Unless they're drafting the token deck, because those piles are big

Last edited:
Makes sense, I'm also not playing many of the oil cards for the same reason. The only major exception I'm looking at right now is Mercurial Spelldancer, and that's only because it's a perfect Blue 2-drop.

Are you eschewing the noncreature oil cards as well?

I didn't really see any cards that interested me after reviewing the set, but I think I'd be more open because then they would just be weird charge counters at that point. But most of the noncreature oil counters cards look too durdly to be worth trying out in my cube.

I didn't really see any cards that interested me after reviewing the set, but I think I'd be more open because then they would just be weird charge counters at that point. But most of the noncreature oil counters cards look too durdly to be worth trying out in my cube.
Yeah I largely agree. I think Norn's Wellspring looks like it could be pretty good but I'm not 100% sold.

These two cards appeal to my simple tastes:
a94378a2-cbde-4adf-b889-43e90fc6ba28.jpg
d6bfc16a-2871-40a4-b279-636b80491a06.jpg

I would have hoped for a nice generic artifact payoff or two, but the ones from this set are all so weak that even I am not interested in them.
Not a fan of Mandible Justiciar?

I think this looks like a super sweet low-power artifacts payoff. It can get huge, gain life, and clearly signal the artifact theme.

Yeah I largely agree. I think Norn's Wellspring looks like it could be pretty good but I'm not 100% sold.

Not a fan of Mandible Justiciar?

I think this looks like a super sweet low-power artifacts payoff. It can get huge, gain life, and clearly signal the artifact theme.
That one did catch my eye. I find it the +1/+1 bonus on a 2/1 creature to be kind of weak since it still dies to most things in combat and it trades with 3/2 creatures with or without the buff. But it might be worth the while.

(I like Swooping Lookout, too.)

It has EIGHT lines of text. That's a lot for a card that often enough play like Suntail Hawk or Network Disruptor in my cube's white decks. And I've found delirium to be incredible annoying to track. People continuously have to track whether that one card was a sorcery or an instant or they forget that some creature was randomly an enchantment creature. Threshold has been a much easier traceable mechanic, often you can tell on first view if a graveyard is 7+ and you don't have to check if it's still at that level after the player has returned their Perilous Myr from it.

As much as I like the cute geist, I will be happy to finally remove the last delirium card from my cube.

this is why the delirium cards that give a LARGE benefit are nicer, its much easier to keep track if you get +2/+2 and flying or an extra 4 damage out of doing so

Just errata Delirium to Threshold — I'm sure that there will be no weird edge cases that would make that awkward!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Shout out to Dominaria's Judgement for pointing out that the +1 on the Eternal Wanderer is so sweet.
Flickering an opponent's thing slides it until THEIR end step!
Shame I don't love the rest of what that card has going on

Shout out to Dominaria's Judgement for pointing out that the +1 on the Eternal Wanderer is so sweet.
Flickering an opponent's thing slides it until THEIR end step!
Shame I don't love the rest of what that card has going on

I lost to an opponent at the pre-release when they were at 9 poison and 1 life because I made a joke about how bad it'd be for me if they could flicker my creatures...before we both realized it could do that too.

The utilization of proliferate made Toxic and poison counters a solid strategy in ONE draft that played differently across the colors. Simply having a handful of poison counters in ONE added a lot of tension with all of the proliferate floating around.

Infect is still a kind of sad mechanic, as the creatures don't deal damage to players, but a few of the infect cards could probably make the cut alongside Toxic and plenty of proliferate.

Anyone else feel that this form of poison could be executed in some sort of mid-power cube?

The utilization of proliferate made Toxic and poison counters a solid strategy in ONE draft that played differently across the colors. Simply having a handful of poison counters in ONE added a lot of tension with all of the proliferate floating around.

Infect is still a kind of sad mechanic, as the creatures don't deal damage to players, but a few of the infect cards could probably make the cut alongside Toxic and plenty of proliferate.

Anyone else feel that this form of poison could be executed in some sort of mid-power cube?
In singleton? I'm skeptical.

In nonsingleton? Almost certainly.

In singleton? I'm skeptical.

In nonsingleton? Almost certainly.
I did a quick peek. I considered there to be 59 playable poison cards and 36 proliferate cards. ONE had ~20% poison and ~12% proliferate. Could hit those ratios at 360. Maybe the upcoming sets add a bit more, but probably won't hit a 450+ density. Could be worth considering, especially if you have some other proliferate synergies going on.

Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 9.39.14 AM.png

Excuse the small image size (you can see the full thing here) but I wanted to share the good news that y'all probably were aware of before I was: after 9 months, CubeCobra's tools beyond individual cube management are back up!

I've loved loved loved the ability to dig into the most played cards from sets, archetypes, at different spots on the curve, etc. While there are more filters I'd love to have (and may try to help contribute to), I'm so so pleased to be able to play with the site again.

I have a longer spiel about the service I'd like to eventually write up in a different thread but in the meantime, wanted to share the most-played cards from ONE here.

No surprises in the top 5, but shocked by both Glissa and Reject Imperfection being so high, and validated by Mondrak being so much higher than the Lucky Paper survey would have suggested. I know a lot of the data is being backfilled but this seems like a great start to me to start playing around and doing fun analysis.

landofMordor

Administrator
Note: Lucky Paper does our surveys before the set’s release partly to capture first impressions before competitive players get their hands on it. CubeCobra’s most played tool is therefore measuring a slightly different thing even though its sample size is obviously much more comprehensive.

Note: Lucky Paper does our surveys before the set’s release partly to capture first impressions before competitive players get their hands on it. CubeCobra’s most played tool is therefore measuring a slightly different thing even though its sample size is obviously much more comprehensive.
Oh, very much, and they also reach very different audiences as well. I used to like looking at the delta between the two and trying to suss out what elements account for what portion of any differences on a card-by-card basis, and am happy to be able to do so again !