General (ONE) Phyrexia: All will be One Testing/Includes Thread

This is a testing/includes thread. Post pictures using /ci or a text list using /c with what cards you plan to include and what cards you plan to test.
Including:

Interesting but Unsure

There are so many cool cards in this set that are just too weird or too weak to use. All will be One appears to be a "counters matter" set, which would normally be good for most Cube designers. Unfortunately, the fact that the primary counters are Poison Counters, with +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters being completely absent, many counters cards will be skipped by designers. Luckily, Proliferate has returned on many non-poison cards, and Oil counters are cool and versatile new mechanic that ties in well with counters themes in most Cubes. Additionally, the For Mirrodin! mechanic allows for more equipment density without sacrificing Creature space. I think we are getting close to R/W equipment being a low-space impact archetype that can easily be slotted into most Cubes.

All will be One also continues the recent set trend of good B-tier removal. Cards like Ossification, Planar Disruption, Annihilating Glare, Drown in Ichor, and Rebel Salvo all seem like fantastic options for some designers. The big question is: can these cards do what people want them to?

For my part, there are only a handful of cards that I know I want to include. However, there are a ton of cards that look fun to play with that I might want to try in the future, even if I don't end up keeping them in long term.

What are your plans for this set?

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
So... I don't want poison or proliferate in my cube, which already cuts the prospect by 79 cards XD I don't really want to think about what I'm adding or not at the moment, so here are the (few) cards that caught my eye as potential additions.

Some of these go nicely together with the RW Commander deck that was spoiled, which also has a few cards that are interesting to me.

Strong maybe, but my cube's relatively close to Legacy powermax and black aggro sucks and I worry this would make people think it's draftable. So I'll just jam Dogged Detective instead and at least you can do some fun stuff with that.

I was talked into running this one by our discussion in the spoiler thread. It's no Craterhoof but that sure is a compliment and not an insult.

...the power level being high makes it hard for new stuff to fit, but I am not ashamed. It me, Spike.

That's the only card I'm confident I will at least try out, somehow. This set really wasn't made for my cube:
- I have zero interest in any cards with the words 'toxic', 'corrupted' or 'proliferate' on them
- Oil cards seem in many cases to be designed with proliferate or oil synergies in mind, or are just super clunky pseudo +1 counters
- As now usual, a lot of wordiness on many of these cards
- A far above average number of planeswalkers, which I also don't cube

As a whole, this set feels mechanically very insular to me.

For the Main Cube, very short list..

TESTING

MAYBE

Artifact Cube, there's a few more but still nothing earthshattering here..

TESTING

For sure not the most interesting list but I'm just not interested in this set's main mechanics, so it is what it is...I'll just wait two weeks for the next set. Coo.:cool:

Jeskai Cube Includes:

These aren't too special, but could be nice additions to the cube if similar cards drop out for whatever reason.
Just a few additions, for reasons many have mentioned (toxic, oil counters, etc). A small changeset actually makes me happy :)

Link to my 720 unrestricted cube for context.

Includes:

Hero of Bladehold -> Mondrak, Glory Dominus
White's fours have come quite a long way since Hero was the premiere creature in the slot. It's a bit slow these days and not very exciting to my drafters. Mondrak is not a power-level improvement, but it's certainly a huge one when it comes to titillation.

Starnheim Unleashed -> Staff of the Storyteller
I really like Starnheim, but again, I've got to follow my drafters' preferences here. Staff is a neat card, and providing its own token to get the gears turning makes it playable as a 23rd card even in somewhat token-light decks. Happy to lower the curve too.

Dauthi Voidwalker -> Vraan, Executioner Thane
As explained in the other thread, Vraan seems to be solid multifunctional aristocrat support and the Voidwalker's lack of interaction in combat paired with fairly oppressive graveyard hate considering the role it fills in my cube. Also, don't hate more low MV legendary dudes.

Demonlord Belzenlok -> Sheoldred’s Edict
Excellent removal + working to bring the overall curve down.

Satyr Wayfinder -> Canckerbloom
Wayfinder is a little too narrow, and Cankerbloom is anything but.

Thrun, the Last Troll -> Thrun, Breaker of Silence
Not sure about this change yet. Thrun was an OG king of my cube, and there's a lot of love for him in the playgroup...but mostly nostalgic love at this point. This new Thrun is easier to interact with (a huge positive for me) while still maintaining his troll armor in many other ways. Having a new version of the creature take the slot of the old one should ease the pain a little. We'll see how it works.

Polukranos, World Eater -> Conduit of Worlds
Similarly Polukranos has just become less and less interesting with every year. I took out Crucible two years ago or so due to the size of the cube and my resistance to break singleton making sure "fetch" would never be a thing, but there's still interest in that kind of archetype, and since it would be in green decks anyways, I'm more interested to try out a Crucible with upside in the color than I am in the base effect in colorless. Will be watching closely, I'm paying attention to the comments about this one being overrated as well.

Boros Charm -> Jor Kadeem, First Goldwarden
Boros Charm is boring. It deals 4 damage to the face 90% of the time. Jor Kadeem is neat, and may inspire his own archetype: it's really not that hard to get him to 4 power with just a single equipment.

Klothys, God of Destiny -> Migloz, Maze Crusher
Klothys is not as interactive as I'd like, and Migloz is sweet. Surprised more people aren't interested in this modal beater for all sorts of GR midrange suites, but I do admit, this is a drop in power-level for a color combination that's not on the top of many peoples' lists (unless you've got Boo & Minsc, which I was never interested in for power-level reasons in the first place!).

Nevinyrral's Disk -> Atraxa's Skitterfang
Disk is too slow, I'm surprised I hadn't cut it earlier. Skitterfang is basically a Steel Seraph for any color at 3, and while that's a bit less power than the prototyped version of that card, I've enjoyed Seraph enough that I was interested in trying this out without having to struggle through the double pips. Not too confident of this change either, but at least I've got a flex slot in colorless for the next set.

Hex Parasite -> Argentum Masticore
I've cubed with every Masticore and this is my favorite, and the one I think will last the longest in my list.

Myr Battlesphere -> The Mycosynth Gardens
I've got too much top-end in my colorless section, and the Gardens seem sweet. I imagine the most frequent use-case will be as a land that doubles as a Bonesplitter in aggro builds, but there are myriad dumb ways to have fun with this card beyond that. I don't think I'd have it in a smaller cube, but I've got just a big enough list to luxuriate with fun and powerful one-ofs like this.

[CONTINUED IN NEXT POST]

Maybes:

Kemba, Kha Enduring, Green Sun’s Twilight, Tyvar's Stand, and Mercurial Spelldancer are the maybes I'm most keen on, but Kemba feels like she demands a little more support for an equipment theme than I've currently got in my list and I don't want to mislead drafters. She'll be prominent in the on-deck binder in the meantime, though! Green Sun's and the Spelldancer are simply a little too wordy for my tastes. The effects are good but both require a lot to think about when you first come across them, so they're on the outside looking in for now.

Neyali, Suns' Vanguard seems super sweet as a token lord at first blush, but I think it might be a trap? At 4MV, it's a gold Hill Giant without any additional support.

I actually bought the leaked buy-a-box Green Sun’s Twilight off the person who opened it in their booster and tried to cube with it over the holidays for more money than I should have, but it seems silly now in hindsight with all the subsequent leaks making that first rogue card a lot less interesting to the history of the game.

Anyways, neat set. Wish we got more Phyrexian mana, Norn-inspired art for competitively costed white creatures, and that the Elesh Norn we did get was a little more my speed, but I'm pretty satisfied overall considering how many cards were out of bounds for me from a cube POV because of the poison everywhere. Nothing huge, but always happy to get a drop of Phyrexia in my drafts.

Last edited:

That's the only card I'm confident I will at least try out, somehow. This set really wasn't made for my cube:
- I have zero interest in any cards with the words 'toxic', 'corrupted' or 'proliferate' on them
- Oil cards seem in many cases to be designed with proliferate or oil synergies in mind, or are just super clunky pseudo +1 counters
- As now usual, a lot of wordiness on many of these cards
- A far above average number of planeswalkers, which I also don't cube

this is my favorite card in the set that im not running. maybe i should test it too

Yes​

Talked about Scamp already, really cool one-drop that lets you flex the brain muscles.

Maybe?​

Not sure how I feel about Staff, I don't like repeatable card draw, but making creature tokens isn't trivial to do. Paradoxically I also wish it worked off non-creature tokens.
Blade is probably one of the more appealing options in terms of clone effects. Not sure I care about clone effects though.
Undecided if I like Hellraiser. I like Bedlam Reveler more, so the question is if I want another card that somewhat occupies the same spot.
Green interaction is always a mess, Cankerbloom might be one of the less embarrassing options.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Shoutouts I'm not running:

love this card (but not running this theme atm)

Love the art and this is a novel effect

I don't think so chief. I could be convinced, and this has words I like on it, but I don't think it gets there for me. I'm also not sure that even if this does get there on power level, that I would want synergy 1 drops to scale slowly AND be fragile.

You heard it here first, cut toxic creatures people out of your life

Honestly this is remarkably clean for something with the words "Affinity for equipment" on it. Also 1R 5 something is a really nice payoff for having something with Reconfigure/For Mirrordin/Living Weapon/Zendikar Snap-on Equipment/Actual Factual Bonesplitter

Depending on what you're cool with for mana dorks, this has lategame value (though less than something like Llanowar Loamspeaker) but also is the kind of non-overpowering graveyard hate that is quite hard to come by.

Excellent. Love that we're getting more "green's baseline is a 3/2"

On the one hand, I love that this starts with a counter and can get right to the proliferating. It would be a great alterative to Experiment one/Pelt Collector
On the other hand, they aren't +1/+1 counters.

Testing:

There's a lot of text here, but 4/4 parallel lives fits in with my goals. My hope is that the indestructible text comes up sometimes, but not as a surprise. 2 creatures sounds like a lot, but since this doubles your tokens it could easily be sac 2 clues. We shall see.

Am I the only one who keeps thinking the 2/2 mirran is an artifact creature? Even so, this seems solid as a white bear that draws cards in a mostly frictionless way with possible upside. I've also got this earmarked for "this makes a 1 off token, do I wanna make my own that just makes a bear for eg"

Maybe. White isn't part of the prowess theme for me, so I care less now about having specifically instant/sorcery based removal than I once did. Maybe I want sorcery hero's downfall?
In my cube this isn't ever going to leave play and neither will the land it's on, so "basic" is about the only meaningful restriction here, which I like.

Well from the last few drafts I did, double blood artist was too much, but I wasn't sure what I wanted to change it to. Might as well, eh?

You know, maybe! The 3rd toughness does a lot of work, and I think this is backbreaking against drafters who deserve it. So if I think it gets there on power level, does it add anything other than being a strong beater...
That I'm less sure about, but I'm interested.

Sarcasm, good sir. Just poking fun at the brisk release schedule we always see.
Awww, I got disappointed there for a second. I thought there were going to be more cool new cards!

Seriously, how many sets did come out in 2022? Oh, let's just take a look?

https://strategy.channelfireball.com/all-strategy/home/mtg-2022-release-schedule/

1674789801287.png
That's... actually significantly less than I thought... only about one thing per month. I bet if Unfinity and Warhammer 40k had released when they were supposed to instead of getting pushed back to October due to production delays, last year would have felt way more managable.

a3e4efa6-5783-4a51-99c6-116d1a8f01cf.jpg

That's the only card I'm confident I will at least try out, somehow.
Man I'm gonna have to stealth-edit my OP to add this, Gleeful Demolition will work perfectly if I add the Bridges to the BLB.

I feel this as well. My guess is that this feeling stems from the fact that a little over half the set is Poison, Oil, or Proliferate synergy cards. If a person isn't interested in one of these three things, the whole set may feel like a dud.

no respect for Oil smh
I forgor

(Seriously– when I made the post Scryfall had only 35 cards with oil loaded into the system, but about 60 Poison synergy cards. The actual breakdown is like 47 Oil cards and 74 Poison cards. Still not as much Oil as Poison but it's definitely closer especially considering the "poison" number includes cards with Corrupted. There are a lot of counters in this set smh.)

d6bfc16a-2871-40a4-b279-636b80491a06.jpg

Love the art and this is a novel effect
I'm probably putting this in my Battle Box, it's a really great way to teach Impulse Draw.

ab1d1461-1625-4163-aacd-a939f4871fad.jpg

• Staff of the Storyteller is fine on its own, but has a lot of cross-polination between my token,- artifact- and draw-synergies.
Oooooh this one is sweet, I can't believe I missed it!

This set is mostly a miss for me, as poison, oil and proliferate aren't what my cube is doing right now. Not a big fan of the flavor either, except for the funky White Phyrexian horrors.

I am going to be testing out a single card, which is the least amount from a new set in a very long time. That's not to say there aren't some good looking cards in the set, but none of them really speak to me.

I've avoided token doublers as they are usually attached to an enchantment with no board presence (except for maybe Chatterfang, Squirrel General?). This, however, is a decent costed and sized creature with the ability, so I have hope.
Copying any type of token is great as my Green section has a bunch of Food, Treasures and Clues that will benefit.

White is also a secondary sacrifice color, so randomly having a sacrifice outlet for artifacts or creatures can come up.

Looks like I'm a week late for this one, but thankfully it's a short list for inclusions this time around. There's just a lot of text on many of these cards and once it mentions toxic or oil counters I'm out. Over the years I've been leaning towards avoiding additional text wherever possible since we don't really get to draft my cube all that often. My playgroup is full of players that have been with the game for nearly a decade now, but no one wants to sift through all that text for a one-of mechanic.

As such, I'm just looking at these two for main cube inclusion:

Initially I wasn't too impressed by Vraan on first read where I was focusing mostly upon the negatives that differentiated from Blood Artist (also mistakenly thought it said non-token for some reason) reducing its combo potential, but once I sat down to think about it the damage output is high enough that it's worth inclusion. 2 damage is a solid hit from an Aggro one drop and in decks where this would be featured (usually some kind of B/x Aggro deck with Bloodsoaked Champion and Gravecrawler), it's the equivalent of one attack coming through. Seeing as it has a non-embarrassing body that can come through now and then, I think it's a worthy investment if it can generate about 4-6 damage with an attack + some triggers. Wish it had more relevant creature types, but this probably gets there on its own and it's never bad to have redundancy for these lifedrain reach effects for B/x Aggro.

Sheoldred's Edict is just wildly efficient and has just the right amount of decision-making to keep as an interesting option within the black creature removal suite. I'm a bigger fan of edicts than most, I think having a variety in your removal options is what keeps things fresh and interesting ala retail Limited where you prefer to save your premier options. The problem with your typical edict is the window for interaction getting worse as the board develops; great to pick off pesky bodies early to push in, less so when you can't get rid of that 4/4. This doesn't solve that problem entirely, but it does give you additional options allowing you to snipe specific cards ala pesky walker or a big Karnstruct. I think this one is due to stick around for the long haul.

Not sure if this is more cute than actually viable, as copying cheap artifacts is eh and bigger ones is kind of winmore, but I'll pick up a copy for my Utility Land Draft and let my drafters surprise me someday.

It's nice to have sets with fewer inclusions now and then, makes it such that I don't feel like I'm missing out.

There's just a lot of text on many of these cards and once it mentions toxic or oil counters I'm out.
Out of curiosity, why are you against using Oil counters? Are there just too many words since the card has to define what it's doing with the counters?