General Other News

Netherite has a higher cost to prep though, so it's not really power creep right? Like it's way harder to acquire than diamonds, so it's a six drop rather than the four drop of diamond.

Edit: onder posted right with me lol

Yeah, that's like... adding a new layer to the tech tree? I think it'd properly be power creep if you could trivially refine netherite from iron (or whatever).

Netherite has a higher cost to prep though, so it's not really power creep right? Like it's way harder to acquire than diamonds, so it's a six drop rather than the four drop of diamond.

Edit: onder posted right with me lol
Yeah, that's like... adding a new layer to the tech tree? I think it'd properly be power creep if you could trivially refine netherite from iron (or whatever).
The mere existence of Netherite invalidates Diamond tools and armor. While it is harder to obtain Netherite, it completely erases the previous meta items. People don't use Diamond anymore on PVP servers where Netherite is enabled because Netherite is so much stronger. In my view, Netherite's effect on Diamond is akin to a new magic card invalidating previous constructed decks.

Granted, my perspective on Netherite comes from a long-form approach to a Minecraft world, such as that of an SMP or a multi-year survival world such as the one from Etho Plays Minecraft. I think it's reasonable to view Netherite as an "optional" part of the game for a casual play through where the end goal is simply to build a house and fight the Dragon. However, even that's akin to a casual Magic player not going out of their way to acquire the new broken card because they don't need it for their deck.

It could go either way, honestly.

To be fair, while netherite is more powerful, it's also significantly harder to obtain. Instead of comparing it to power creep, it's much more akin to the addition of planeswalkers to Magic.
I see what you're saying, although I don't think Planeswalkers are an exactly analogous situation to Netherite. Planeswalkers added a completely new dimension to Magic- no other cards could do what Planeswalkers can. Netherite gear, by contrast, is just better than Diamond gear. One you have a full set of Netherite gear, there is no reason to ever use Diamond again.

A much closer analogy would be the introduction of the Elytra item to the game. Elytra replace the chestplate slot on a player's body, and allow the player to glide down from great heights at fast speeds. They are even capable of powered flight when combined with firework rockets. Even though Elytra have fundamentally changed the fabric of the game, they don't outclass the chestplate for combat situations. Elytra provide very little protection, so wearing them all the time is not ideal.

I've never played PVP minecraft in my life, so have no way to judge it through that lens. All I know is that for single player netherite is strictly unnecessary and frankly not worth it IMO. I've beaten the dragon in Diamond Armor plenty of times, why would I need to grind the depths of the nether for God knows how long, besides for the style points. I dont think I've even mined a netherite scrap. I just use what I happen to find in bastions.

Elytras are awesome tho. #rocketman

I've never played PVP minecraft in my life, so have no way to judge it through that lens. All I know is that for single player netherite is strictly unnecessary and frankly not worth it IMO. I've beaten the dragon in Diamond Armor plenty of times, why would I need to grind the depths of the nether for God knows how long, besides for the style points. I dont think I've even mined a netherite scrap. I just use what I happen to find in bastions.
You're correct in that statement in terms of casual single player Minecraft. In fact, the same could be said for diamond gear. It's possible to complete the game with only iron gear, a Nether portal can be created with just a lava source, a bucket of water, and a flint and steel. Most speedrunners don't ever mine diamonds- they don't need them to beat the game. For PVP, however, having the best possible gear is necessary. A new item being added can completely change the calculus of combat within the games meta. The placable End Crystals added in the 1.9 update are still regularly used as basically nukes, especially on anarchy servers where exposed bedrock is more common.

I think this actually connects back to power creep and magic. Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath existing has the biggest effects the competitive meta, without having as much (or any) impact on more casual players. Much like Uro, you only need Netherite if you plan to play the game at the highest level. Diamond (or even Iron) gear will suffice in a casual game of Minecraft, just as a lowly Colossal Dreadmaw will suffice in a casual game of *magic.
*(Admittedly, that would be a low power game of Magic, I just wanted to meme about Colossal Dreadmaw :p )
Elytras are awesome tho. #rocketman
I agree! What is your position on Note Blocks?

I have no strong feelings for note blocks one way or another; never really played around with them much tbh. Had a phase where I was really into redstone stuff, but never really got into the note blocks.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Great rebuttal Train, and I can honestly see your point.
People don't use Diamond anymore on PVP servers where Netherite is enabled because Netherite is so much stronger.
I will say that diamond has other uses besides being used for armor and tools, so it hasn't been rendered completely irrelevant by the addition of netherite. One analogy in MtG I can think of is how Kitchen Finks used to be a good creature in everything, from aggro to control decks. It got replaced by alternatives that are better suited to the specific archetype in most places, but it's still viable in persist combo decks as a way to gain infinite life.

I just wanted to add, that I really enjoyed the discussion the last few pages! Likes for everyone!

One thing I can maybe add is: I am really glad, that we as cube designers always have full control over power creep within our own format. I think you all know, that a fun environment can differ widely in power level, even though there (so I like to think) is a line in both directions, which can be crossed (I don't think I'd enjoy a cube where Squire is a solid playable, yet similar things can be said about Sol Ring). My only (probably irrational) fear is, that power creep will lead to such a high average, that one day drafters will be alienated and no longer able to enjoy packs full of Werebears and Skirk Marauders. That's basically the 3/3 for {1}{G}-scenario.

"Innistrad: Double Feature includes both Innistrad: Midnight Hunt and Innistrad: Crimson Vow cards with an eye-catching black-and-white treatment, echoing beloved horror films of the past."

so, does that mean that every card in the set will have this look?

1632925864530.png

If so I will definitely wait with pickig up my MID und ICV (?) cards, because I could imagine some will look cooler that way. And this would make up for zero cards from MID with the harvest tide showcase frame that were interesting to me.

Just from doing some test drafts with MID, I found the black and white art of the lands disorienting. Everything looks alike.
I thought the lands in this style would be perfect for my cube, but after looking them up on scryfall and seeing them all together, I quickly came to the same conclusion. Shame because the aesthetic is perfect.

I bet those draft packs will be fun as hell.

They're neat as collectibles, not very practical unfortunately. I picked up a few foils for an EDH deck of mine but man they are definitely not quick to grok on first glance unless you know where to look. I'm definitely going to be looking into alternative options for the Innistrad cube I'll be building in the future.

Last edited:
As much as I liked the style of the D&D booster fun cards, it's the same issue where it's too hard to tell what colors cards are at a glance. I'm glad they're experimenting with different styles like this, as both are neat, but I will safely avoid them in my cube and hope that future sets have special frames more akin to the harvest one.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
In my opinion, the eldraine fairy take book frames are still the best they did. But even some of the not so good ones still outclass todays standard frame by a lot, so ...
Yeah, those are very pretty. I don't run alternate frames because I personally like as consistent a look as possible for my cube, but the alternate art of Order of Midnight is possibly the most beautiful card they ever made (as a combination of art and frame).

eld-288-order-of-midnight.jpg

I agree 100%, it's magics most beautiful card probably. Interesting, since often Onde and I don't agree at al when it comes to card aesthetics :D

For example, I am going for the opposite direction and trying to embrace the variance. I realized early on that I had to decide between going for my favorite look of each individual card and having things look unified, and I went for the former.

I'd hate to play with your cube, Ravnic — having miss-matched card frames for non-lands gives me the willies.

That came out wrong, sorry. :oops:

I do feel like having a different frame for lands is actually a good thing, though (as long as you can still identify what color they're supposed to be) — it helps you see how many lands you and villain have in play at a glance, for one thing.

But it's almost impossible to have them all be the same at this point. Also, what about altered cards? And isn't the beauty of the idividual card more important anyway?

I've had to make so many concessions to my own best practices for cube design these last two years, like "using the version of the card with reminder text" had to get thrown out the window for the unbelievably gorgeous storybook frames on cards with Adventure in Eldraine, and now with the Daybound cards, it's the same situation (only Suspicious Stowaway's standard version wins out in the art department for me, regardless of preference for the frame). To be proper and consistent about it, I'd certainly include the lesser art and lesser frames of my 4 werewolves, but I'm helped by the fact that the Daybound/Nightbound reminder text is nearly counterproductive.

...which all brings me to Timeless Dragon. Eternalize isn't that well-known of a mechanic (even folks who drafted a lot during that time are liable to get it mixed up with Embalm), and actually, Planescycling is even rarer, if a little more obvious. So even with my massive preference for the old border, I'm still cubing the standard edition of it. Looking at them side-by-side, it seems like objectively the poorer aesthetic but...you have to draw the line somewhere, even if you make overly-justified exceptions.

mh2-388-timeless-dragon.jpgmh2-35-timeless-dragon.jpg

Yeah... I think Old Border Timeless Dragon looks way better, but I'd probably run the other version in any deck where I hadn't gone out of my way to solely run old border cards.