Sets (OTJ) Outlaws of Thunder Junction Previews

There surely has to be some kind of law enforcement, considering those showcase frames have WANTED written on them?
Btw, don't like the showcase frames but the comic style full arts are great.

We got a leaked prerelease pack, so here's an entire booster's contents to show off Plot and "Saddle":
MxJRfAY.png

Plot already has the wheels spinning in my head. I love how it lets you do all of
cast your first spell each turn
cast your second spell each turn
cast a spell from exile
didn't cast a spell from your hand

as separate themes.

also I like that Malcolm a lot obviously, just a good rate there

(also I like that the etbt lands are now 1) Deserts that 2) ping your opponent instead of gaining you)

and frankly I don't give a good goddamn about Saddle, what a stinker imo, if you have two creatures you should want to attack with both of them fire emoji goes here

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Saddle is kinda creatures that are also vehicles, I like that narratively even if the gameplay ends up sucking (which hey, I've been surprised by less)

I think seeing a card named "Holy Cow" is the thing that got me to fully realize that almost everything about unsets has been folded into the regular game at this point lol.

That new Malcolm seems like a lot of fun.

Batching is cool and good and I'm always happy to see more of it. Don't think "outlaws" is gonna do much for me the way something like modified or historic did but I like the indication that it's something they intend to continue doing.

i don't think he's quite where my cube wants to be, but loving the look of that malcolm.

the outlaws batch is incredibly funny but only hits 12 cards in my 450 right now so i'm doubtful of it's relevance.

i'm a holy cow apologist.

Wow, I really like what I see so far. Crimes, plot and Mount are really simple and open ended keywords. Outlaws are a flavorful batch. I haven't had such a positive first impression to a new mechanics line-up in a while.

Dang it, WotC, why do you keep printing mechanics that are stupidly interesting, especially for my silly 2-3-7 projects (which I'll get back to at some point, I swear)? Plot's probably one of my favorite mechanics that I've seen in a hot minute.

Something about the flavor just feels way off to me. I was hoping they would go the Arcanum route of mixing industrialization and magic. And like Arcanum the tension between the two could be a setting to have an organic feeling conflict emerge. Instead the aesthetic looks like they are truly dressing up recognizable parts of the Magic Universe for Halloween. I am actually pretty disappointed.

I had maybe the tiniest bit of hope they wouldn't shy a way from including revolvers and repeaters as iconic imagery pertaining to Westerns. I don't want guns included for the sake of it, but the so much of the drama that unfolds in Westerns hinges entirely on laymen being empowered to inflict extreme violence on society due to the accessibility of firearms.

I guess instead we get Halo Plasma Pistols with different colors of beams depending on the mana-alignment. Or the greatest threat to public safety the Magic Multiverse has ever seen, Knives. *Gasp*

Idk I know Magic has a long standing policy on 'No Guns,' but maybe after seeing a shoulder-mounted nuke launcher on a Magic Card I just can't help but feel like that policy is such a cop-out.

Ping lands look sick tho, 10/10 set.

Does Bridled Bighorn's token creation suggest that the saddler rode it in more ways than one? What's the flavor here?!

I'd downvote Spree if I saw it on r/custommagic, but my format is always open to a Kicker variant.

I hope no one at WotC did anything gross to that Prairie Dog whose text we can't see. Doesn't look like it creates tokens, but I don't trust them after what they (probably) did to that sheep.

I hope no one at WotC did anything gross to that Prairie Dog whose text we can't see. Doesn't look like it creates tokens, but I don't trust them after what they (probably) did to that sheep.
I think Big Ounce has the same ability as Hardened Scales, just only on your turn. Additionally, it appears to get a +1/+1 counter at the end of each turn you cast a spell from anywhere other than your hand. Biggerton seems pretty dece!

Each time we see this I grow more and more convinced that these "leaks" are actually psyops. No way that randos with packs open them one at a time, stop after three packs, lay cards out the same goshdarn way, show some tantalizingly out of frame, and have phones with cameras straight out of 2007 every single time.

That said, cards look fine. Plot is good, 1/2 haste first strike + lategame value for R is nifty, tumblewaggs are great.

Each time we see this I grow more and more convinced that these "leaks" are actually psyops. No way that randos with packs open them one at a time, stop after three packs, lay cards out the same goshdarn way, show some tantalizingly out of frame, and have phones with cameras straight out of 2007 every single time.

I am also convinced now.
I used to be a denier in this regard but there simply cannot be any other explanation.

I remember when I had to take pictures and upload them here I felt like they turned out to be low quality. And @Onderzeeboot had a good point about how we Magic players always ‘complain’ that leakers upload such low quality photos when it’s actually really hard to upload high quality. But even my low quality photos were 10x better than basically every leak so it simply has to be from Wizards of the Coast when the cards are this quality every time.

My upload:
https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/custom-cards-the-lab.403/post-113205

2/2 flying spirits instead of 1/1? That's stupid.

I like the 1/1 blue flying looter for 1, though. I'll spend a quarter on that card when the set comes out.