Sets (OTJ) Outlaws of Thunder Junction Previews

That's kind of the one annoying thing about spoiler season on the forums. I feel like people are more willing to interact with posts about a single card rather than posts about multiple cards, especially if it's a fairly short positive post and/or short post saying, "HOLY MOLY, THIS CARD IS SO PUSHED IF THEY HAD PRINTED THIS IN 1997 IT WOULD HAVE BEEN BROKEN!! FIX YOUR GAME WOTC!"

I feel like there's not really a reason to talk about all the cards until the spoilers are over or whatever. Maybe I'm off base here but that's just how I'm feeling.
Yeah. We're all gonna have thoughts on every card. It's hard to post them all. Especially for something like Plot or crime where some of us are waiting to see if it's worth including new keywords.
NGL The wurm seems insane to me too, trample is usually missing from chonkers like that
Like I know it's a "baneslayer bit YEESH"
Yeah, the trample makes it extra crazy, but it's still "just" stats. It has a little bit of the Questing Beast thing going on where maybe flash and trample and a flashback make "just" stats get there.

At least it doesn't do anything particularly interesting where you'll miss it if you pass on it for being too big. A lot of the mythics have an issue for low-mid power cubers where they will have a great effect and then it's got extra stats or a bonus freebie effect to push it too far.

Fuck it.

Vaultborn-Tyrant-extended-BIG-265.jpg

Penumbrartifact Pelakkasaur

Satoru-the-Infiltrator-OTJ-265.jpg

Jolene-Plundering-Pugilist-OTJ-265.jpg

Can ramp to Eldrazi or shoot Spawns/Scions for my cube. Not sure if the body is gonna be worth it for a multicolor slot.

Tinybones-Joins-Up-OTJ-265.jpg
Vraska-Joins-Up-OTJ-265.jpg

Maybe this is heading somewhere? We already have some decent Legendary support.

The basics are conceptually cool.

Last edited:
If you’re gonna make the posts I’m gonna like and comment.
I wondered why I liked this card so much! Yeah, I’ll take 2024 Penumbra Wurm with a cooler type! The art isn’t even a true downgrade either, which is nice!!

Looks like Scam got a new toy.

Vraska-Joins-Up-OTJ-265.jpg

Maybe this is heading somewhere? We already have some decent Legendary support.
I feel like any of these in White or Red could have a shot. I think “RW Legends Aggro” is going to become a real Cube deck at some point in the next two years.

I like this card but it feels a bit underwhelming. If only it were Blackmail!

I’m also surprised they haven’t printed a one-mana discard spell that’s just “target opponent reveals their hand and discards a nonland card if able.” Obviously that’s worse than Thoughtseize but spell for spell seems like a fun trade!

Last edited:
NGL The wurm seems insane to me too, trample is usually missing from chonkers like that
Like I know it's a "baneslayer bit YEESH"
I feel like the Wurm being tied to deserts kind of kills it for Cube. Maybe even constructed too depending on wether or not there are any good ones in the set besides the Dual lands.

Otherwise, this card isn’t going to have legs until DMU rotates at the earliest.

That's kind of the one annoying thing about spoiler season on the forums. I feel like people are more willing to interact with posts about a single card rather than posts about multiple cards, especially if it's a fairly short positive post and/or short post saying, "HOLY MOLY, THIS CARD IS SO PUSHED IF THEY HAD PRINTED THIS IN 1997 IT WOULD HAVE BEEN BROKEN!! FIX YOUR GAME WOTC!"

I feel like there's not really a reason to talk about all the cards until the spoilers are over or whatever. Maybe I'm off base here but that's just how I'm feeling.
I feel like when they put out this many spoilers at once it gets a little hard to just like, process that much rules text and have coherent thoughts about them. Like by the time I got to the end of all the spoilers from today my eyes were kinda glazing over and I wasn't really totally understanding everything that was in front of me. I think that getting the highlights from other folks who have dug through the spoilers with a close eye once everything is out is part of the utility of forums like this. It's just not feasible for a lot of people to read like 50 new cards and not have their brain start leaking out their ears lol.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Who at WotC had figured out that I run a Karador Desert Eldrazi EDH deck? How is this like the perfect interaction of three different mechanics? (Desert tribal, colorless mana, graveyard enabling :cool:) I hereby declare that I love this set. Unconditionally.

RDT_20240327_0951253510653496723630193.jpeg

Yeah me too. Mega fan of Outlaws of Thunder Junction. I mean, look at this art!

This picture is so freaking nice!

Hey, remember those really cool repeated card draw enchantments from Ravnica?

We now have another one from Thunder Junction. And I believe this one is easier to build around in the long run. Especially if Wizards will let ‘crime’ be a mechanic we’ll see every now and then.

Spinewoods-Armadillo-400x559.webp

I like this 'little' guy very much for my peasant cube. Kind of does it all. Can be ramped into, even in the RG 'fires' deck, discards itself and rewards with some life so reanimate does not hurt as much, the discards ability can also be used in the UG flash decks, protects itself... . I think I can live with it not having trample or the like.

One of my pet peeves is when people use "Cube" as a synonym for "the specific kind of Cube I like building/curating". It comes off as kinda egotistical.
I agree, but I think a card which relies on a single very specific mechanic that doesn’t have a super broad base of support yet is not going to be able to find a way in to most Cubes. It’s definitely possible to build a Cube with a deserts matter theme, but that use case is not going to be representative of the vast majority of environments. I don’t think it should be necessary to mention every single niche use case of a card if I think it’s narrow overall.

I agree, but I think a card which relies on a single very specific mechanic that doesn’t have a super broad base of support yet is not going to be able to find a way in to most Cubes. It’s definitely possible to build a Cube with a deserts matter theme, but that use case is not going to be representative of the vast majority of environments. I don’t think it should be necessary to mention every single niche use case of a card if I think it’s narrow overall.

Also this isn't an anonymized or huge forum. From your previous writings I'd argue it is pretty apparent that you don't demand Cube be a monolith based on your own preferences, which is the line I personally find crosses into 'egotistical'.

slickshotshowoff.jpg

I think this guy is very good and going to be in my Cube for a very long time. Excited for more Storm-lite stuff in red.

Caught-in-the-Crossfire-OTJ-265.jpg

Gotta highlight when WotC does kindred design correctly. 3 mana for a (near)Pyroclasm is respectable and this gives some play to the outlaw deck while not being a dead card to other decks.

Aloe-Alchemist-OTJ-265.jpg

This is a cool design. What a crazy uncommon.

Roxanne-Starfall-Savant-OTJ-265.jpg

She costs 5 and gives you a Meteorite which... also costs 5?! I've always been a fan of Meteorite and am happy to see it be somewhat playable now. I might even run this one, although I hate adding a token type.

Spinewoods-Armadillo-OTJ-265.jpg

Second shout out to this adorable giant. Love a card that's relevant early and late.

Cunning-Coyote-OTJ-265.jpg

Decent aggro guy with some cool options. Add three immediate power to the board on turn two if you had a one drop or plot it to make your three drop extra scary. Could haste an Eldrazi for annihilator much later, but likely doesn't end up in the same deck.

Spree cards are generally very well designed and I love running through all the casting options in my head. A little awkward that CubeCobra is going to sort them according to their mana cost that will never be the actual cost, but that's fine.

It's a little noteworthy that every character who came to Thunder Junction decided to cosplay as a cowboy. No one was like "na, I'll wear my normal shit."

View attachment 9484
Paula Bunyon not looking half bad
This is the first 6 drop to pique my interest in a while. Beyond the nice reference to the culture of the best U.S. state, it's also just a good value card. I like how Beau scales with the length of the game. If you ramp out Bonny with dorks or cheat her in with reanimation, Beau is going to be a smol bean. If you draw her on turn 12, Beau is going to be a chonky lad. The other nice thing about this card is that it can start giving you value right away. I think one single Growth Spiral is a bit piddly for a trigger on a six drop, but then again that's for any attacker and not just Bonny.

So yeah I think I'm talking myself into this card more than I would if it wasn't Paul Bunyan, but I think has all of the elements of a good card minus being cheap.

EDIT– this acutally grabs lands out of the Graveyard as well. Replaying a Fetchland every turn for free while also drawing cards seems very good. All the more reason for me to continue to cut my non-typed lands!

slickshotshowoff.jpg

I think this guy is very good and going to be in my Cube for a very long time. Excited for more Storm-lite stuff in red.
I agree, this is easily my favorite card of the set so far.

aveninterrupter.jpg

yes hello hi I am here for any number of cards with effects like this

even if I'm not stoked it costs WW it gets the Skyclave Apparition pass of "but I love it"

edit: and in case you didn't explicitly think about it, between this and Reprieve white's new niche is countering untargetable spells, for the one person who's got some kind of theme or something where it matters. it's actually really nice!
I think this card looks so much more fun than Elite Spellbinder. I'm not usually a stickler for reminder text but I think in this case plot is difficult enough to explain that I probably won't Cube this unless the normal version explains the card.

EDIT– it looks like the normal printing does indeed include reminder text!
d3ca43a4-d194-440f-8099-f1fa103a108d.jpg

Aloe-Alchemist-OTJ-265.jpg

This is a cool design. What a crazy uncommon.
This card seems like it could be genuinely great. I might be willing to call it a sleeper, but we'll see!

Three-Steps-Ahead-OTJ-265.jpg

Cancel++. Really like this! The instant speed token is no joke. Might add Copy and Clue to the token pile next update...
Three Steps Ahead feels like the answer to the question "What if Sublime Epiphany was fun instead of total bullshit?" As far as answers are concerned, I'll take this one!

I've fallen out of love hard with Cancel variants over the past couple of years, but this card could be an exception since it's just so flexible.

Last edited: