Sets (PIP) Fallout Commander Previews

Just to be clear: I meant the best as in “trying to create a truly democratic format”, and the worst as in “but let’s be racist about it”.
I don't think it's racist to play cards from a game when you play the game. Was every player racist for the 30ish years prior to those cards getting banned? Of course not.

That said, we're fortunate that the banned cards aren't particularly playable and I don't see why someone would rally to make them legal in any format for that reason. No one is missing them, probably.

Was every player racist for the 30ish years prior to those cards getting banned? Of course not.
Not all, but the ones that drove the price of Invoke Prejudice up to like $200 because it had a literal Klansman in the art drawn by a literal neo-Nazi sure were! And they sure do want to play four copies in whatever deck they're sleeving up wherever they are not explicitly prohibited from doing so.

I think it’s worth noting… the artist who drew Invoke Prejudice is a literal Nazi. Not just a boomer conservative with some bigoted beliefs, but a full on 1488 JQ asking Hitlerite.

A couple of his other works for context:
mz3wgxx5qag91.jpg

Hitler Jesus

harold-arthur-mcneill-appreciation-post-v0-ek7yahvyz4db1.jpg

Fascist Eagle Bastard with weird Star Swastikas

harold-arthur-mcneill-appreciation-post-v0-jmg4px6zz4db1.jpg
Fasces arranged in a swastika-like pattern.
Tl;dr, advocating for the legalization of a terrible card with art drawn by a Nazi featuring a fantasy depiction of Klansmen is representative of some racist undertones.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I don't think it's racist to play cards from a game when you play the game. Was every player racist for the 30ish years prior to those cards getting banned? Of course not.
I mean, I don't think everyone alive during the segregation era was racist, but people calling for a return to that time definitely are. I know there are people who truly believe you should separate art from the artist, but come on, we're talking about a literal neo-nazi who illustrated cards that aren't close to necessary for any format. Decent human beings wouldn't be championing the legality of those cards in a democratic format.

Just to be clear: I meant the best as in “trying to create a truly democratic format”, and the worst as in “but let’s be racist about it”.
Suggesting that not supporting the ban of those cards necessarily makes you racist was part of it, yes, but it was more so aimed at train's post who further associated it with people who dislike Universes Beyond which, regardless of what the actual intent was, reads like an attempt to poison the well by implying that its dissidents are largely a bunch of Nazis. Not that I personally think unbanning them at this point would be wise considering the status they've now been granted, but I also think banning them in the first place was a rather questionable decision.

Here are some cool cards I won't play, but maybe someone else might.

poor alien can't even pilot its own ship until someone helps it

The rad counter cards also seem pretty reasonable if you want to go in on it

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Suggesting that not supporting the ban of those cards necessarily makes you racist was part of it, yes, but it was more so aimed at train's post who further associated it with people who dislike Universes Beyond which, regardless of what the actual intent was, reads like an attempt to poison the well by implying that its dissidents are largely a bunch of Nazis. Not that I personally think unbanning them at this point would be wise considering the status they've now been granted, but I also think banning them in the first place was a rather questionable decision.
He only stated that a community-driven attempt to create Universes Beyond-free Commander variant fell apart because a large minority insisted on reinstating cards that were specifically banned by WotC because they carry racists connotations and (in the case of Cleanse and Invoke Prejudice at least) are illustrated by a known Neo-Nazi. Interpreting that as a blanket "people who dislike Universes Beyond are largely Nazis" statement is misguided at best.

Cathedral Acolyte is pretty cool. You can think of it as a mana dork because it essentially adds a mana worth of stats to your creature. Definitely a good add for anyone pushing counters.

Curie.jpg

A secretly impressive card. I'm not willing to let this become a hidden gem from the set, I want folks to know about this sweet 2-drop.

Say hello to a 2-MV creature that unconditionally draws a card when it hits, only the second one ever printed. [[Mischievous Catgeist]] may be the first, but this critically has two more toughness, making it much less likely to get chumped or otherwise survive attacking. It's also both legendary and an artifact, two elements that help it synergize in compelling ways with other popular cards for many types of Cubes.

The only issue? The bottom ability is going to be trinket text in 90%+ of games. It's cool that you can do it at instant speed, and it's cool to have that threat of activation. I think it's neat, really, but there's just way too much text on the card, and as much as I like the ability, I'd rather just have a simpler, cleaner card.

tl;dr it's the best Thieving Magpies to date and I can't wait to Cube it.

This guy is pretty cute:

And, unlike a lot of the cards in this set, it doesn't clash super hard with Magic in general!

I'm actually kinda surprised at how put off I am by Fallout's aesthetic. Like, I'm not a big fan of it at the best of times, but there have been multiple cards I've looked at where the mechanics were neat but the name and art have been a hard no. To give some examples...

Pre-War Formalwear is especially annoying, because I have multiple cubes where it'd make for a very interesting inclusion... but I take one look at that ganger in a jacket and I just... nah, mate, not even interested enough to make my own UW version.

I'm actually kinda surprised at how put off I am by Fallout's aesthetic.
I was struck with the same feeling this morning when looking over the complete set. I'm strongly considering using the nickname frame and doing a Universes Within treatment.

I'm also feeling like these UB sets are going to have people looking at a commander list in a few years and feeling like WotC is some cheap mobile game that took every collab it was offered.