Sets (PIP) Fallout Commander Previews

I was struck with the same feeling this morning when looking over the complete set. I'm strongly considering using the nickname frame and doing a Universes Within treatment.

I'm also feeling like these UB sets are going to have people looking at a commander list in a few years and feeling like WotC is some cheap mobile game that took every collab it was offered.
I seems to me that Magic is moving in the direction, that in the future UB sets will have more cards that I like mechanically for my cube than non-UB sets. They are increasing the output of UB sets (I think it was 2 full sets from 2025 + Commandet decks etc.) and also UB sets tend to have a higher Powerlevel since they are not legal in standard or even modern. They did say that they will try to not have them impact legacy/vintage too much but let's see about that..

With that in mind I was also pondering how to solve my dilemma, that I mostly don't like the UB treatment but I do like a lot of the cards underneath and the nickname frame is a great idea! Unfortunately this does not solve the creature type problem (especially of tokens) yet.

I think my dream would be if a couple of the prominent MPCfill "providers" would fill this reskin niche but I don't think that's going to happen .

On the other hand, if anyone wants to provide alternate art (definitely the more time consuming part) I'd be happy to make a UW version out of that .

UB sets tend to have a higher Powerlevel since they are not legal in standard or even modern.
I was noticing that a lot more of these cards are appealing since I upped my power level just a bit.
Unfortunately this does not solve the creature type problem (especially of tokens) yet.
I was giving some consideration to token-swapping a lot of cards. Make every 1/1 flyer a Spirit or a Thopter. Every 3/3 a could be a Golem or Beast. UB makes it even more tempting, as I kind of want to "fix" the art.
I think my dream would be if a couple of the prominent MPCfill "providers" would fill this reskin niche but I don't think that's going to happen .

On the other hand, if anyone wants to provide alternate art (definitely the more time consuming part) I'd be happy to make a UW version out of that .
I might end up doing it for my additions and can post it somewhere, but I dunno yet. Definitely an internal conflict.

God, yes. Wizards should do "The Great Token Type Update" similar to the great creature type update from 15 or so years ago.
There's so many stupid little variants. Golem or Goblin vs their Phyrexian counterpart.

The issue is the different planes and themes and flavor. They can't have Young Pyromancer make a 1/1 Goblin. They could have designed "Young Gobbomancer," but they didn't. You can't make a Spirit with a KLD guy and you can't make a Thopter with an INN guy.

There's probably literally thousands of examples where the token swap doesn't work without fully re-skinning the card.

Has anyone tried using the Unfinity stickers to errata cards for token types? They have a lot of major types represented--Goblin, Human, Beast, Elf, Vampire, Zombie, Elemental.

There's so many stupid little variants. Golem or Goblin vs their Phyrexian counterpart.

Hard agree!

The issue is the different planes and themes and flavor. They can't have Young Pyromancer make a 1/1 Goblin. They could have designed "Young Gobbomancer," but they didn't. You can't make a Spirit with a KLD guy and you can't make a Thopter with an INN guy.

There's probably literally thousands of examples where the token swap doesn't work without fully re-skinning the card.

Not to be a pooper, but we kinda can do exactly that now that we have the Omenpaths! I've found one thing to like about them now lmao.

It just… shouldn’t be our job to alter cards to keep the fantasy part of the game alive. Grow up Wizards!
If they intend to have as many crossovers as they do it's ultimately just not feasible for them to provide in-universe alternatives for all of them either,
not only do they have to source artwork and do creative work to retheme all of them, they also have to actually release them in a product that people want, which I guess is possible if they release them in double-masters style products with a lower price threshold, but the incentive for wotc just kind of isn't there now that they've decided to become a game system instead of a franchise.

Oh my dog you’re right!

Eventually it might also be cheaper to not have a creative team designing planes and write stories. This I am not sure of but it’s my worst nightmare for this game.

Untrue

The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle Earth is a UB set. And it is legal in Modern.

https://scryfall.com/card/ltr/246/the-one-ring

The upcoming Assassin’s Creed UB set is also designed for Modern.
Sorry for the confusion, that's what I meant by not legal in standard (Lord of the rings) or even modern (most of the rest). The point was more that (so far) UB products were not standard legal and most of them are also not legal in modern, hence the potentially higher power level.

Is this simply determined by "because we said so"?

I actually don’t know.

I mean they announce what formats the set will be legal in during the very first announcement of the set.

But how they determine what set is for what format I have no idea.

yes, although that's not really any different from a modern horizons set, or a standard set for that matter.
I suppose so, but at least the MH sets are labelled with the format name. I mentally lump UB stuff together, so it's kind of weird to see them spread around different formats.

I keep an eye on those formats, but don't play them, so it doesn't actually affect me, at least. Cube is so great.

Well, spoilers for this are over. Here's the only card I'm planning to include. I guess Sevinne's Reclamation is leaving.

BWAlX1y.png

edit: I forgot Vault 21: House Gambit. Not sure how I'll retheme that yet.

Colored Equipments look weird in colorless with the old frame.
Colored artifacts look weird in brothers war commander. Yours looks better but is the mana symbol enough? Maybe have half of the card white the other artifact? Or something else but make sure it is identifiable in one glance as both white and artifact. cursed mirror from the brothers war commander printing is not identifiable as artifact without looking at the typeline. I was not used to that for artifacts.

Could probably keep the same name and redo the art. Maybe your drafters recognize the name?
I could, I just don't know what Pre-War Formalwear is even supposed to convey or how it ties into the mechanics of the card in any possibly way.
You can also add the white pinlines to make it more obvious that it's a white artifact. I made the same oversight at first.
I've considered it, but I feel like they look very unnatural. I also think that if you were more used to the old border artifact look you'd spot it pretty easily.

I could, I just don't know what Pre-War Formalwear is even supposed to convey or how it ties into the mechanics of the card in any possibly way.
I don't, either, but I'd believe the name if it was a nice looking character not at war lol.

I have been thinking about this and I actually do have a guess, kind of.

Pre-War Formalwear was what a cool young dude would have worn to a party before the war, cause the '50s were in (Doesn't some of the formalwear give +1 Charisma in FONV? I forget.)
The after-war equivalent is going to a place where you're gonna fight or at least posture like you will, because you're hanging out but it's the postapocalypse and you're some kind of knife-wielding maniac.
So it shows up and then you get back your creature, who is implied by the art/mana value limitation to be a young punk

and like obviously it boosts stats because it is a piece of Equipment in Magic: the Gathering and your guess is as good as mine why it's +2/+2 and vigilance other than "it's pushed for power" but hey, I got a theory at least.