Sets (PIP) Fallout Commander Previews

Wake up babes, it's spoiler time!
IMG_42662.png
IMG_42652.png

I'm a big fan of this Junk Token mechanic.
FB_IMG_1697736206876.jpg

Screenshot_20231019-132409_Twitch_1.jpg

Mothman? Mothman. I like the Radiation mechanic as well.

Screen Shot 2023-10-19 at 10.39.36 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-10-19 at 10.39.40 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-10-19 at 10.39.45 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-10-19 at 10.39.51 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-10-19 at 10.39.57 AM.png

Unbelievably lovely lands that tell a great story -- what a great way to utilize WUBRG order! Some all-timers across the board. However, I personally prefer these:

Screen Shot 2023-10-19 at 10.40.18 AM copy.png

These isometric-styled lands inspired by the first two Fallout games are a delight. Nostalgic and evocative while being valuable to those without the history of the franchise. Overall incredibly neat and well-executed, I love them.

Fallout feels more dissonant to Magic to me than even Doctor Who, but the early previews all seem like solid Commander cards. Wish this cost one less, because I clenched my butt cheeks just from seeing the art and I'd like to bring that sensation to Cube draft:

Screen Shot 2023-10-19 at 10.47.55 AM.png

Crazy to have threads up simultanously with Dr. Who, Jurassic Park and Fallout spoilers. MtG really has changed.

Also, can any Fallout expert elaborate why a Junk token would impulse draw you a card?

On one hand, I like rad counters, am cautiously intrigued by the fact that we're revisiting Energy, and some of the designs (Nuka-Cola Vending Machine is honestly pretty neat). On the other hand, I don't like Junk mechanically, don't care for Fallout aesthetically (I'm not a fan of post-apoc stuff in general), and hate the VATS frame treatment.

This is a neat card, though:

radstorm.jpg

Rad makes me think of, like, totally radical, dude!

Already more appealing than WHO was, but they're really pushing this UB stuff. I'm sure that the nerds from these other IPs can be easily converted to nerds of MtG, but it's becoming a little alienating to me.

Rad makes me think of, like, totally radical, dude!

Already more appealing than WHO was, but they're really pushing this UB stuff. I'm sure that the nerds from these other IPs can be easily converted to nerds of MtG, but it's becoming a little alienating to me.
I completely disagree but it was a terrible move to have this reveal literally the week after Doctor Who released. I would've done anything, anything, even disrupt Ixalan spoilers, to avoid these optics.

We're at a rate of 2 UB releases a year, and a handful of SLs. It's honestly very reasonable and almost exactly what any fan would say is ideal if you asked them, even folks who don't prefer it.

2021: Two SL drops

2022:Three SL IPs, the Warhammer 40k decks, and more Transformers in BRO Set Boosters

2023: Five SL IPs, the LotR set, the Doctor Who decks, and more Jurassic Park in Ixalan Set Boosters

2024: Probably 1 IP per superdrop (4-5), Fallout decks, Ass Creed boosters. Extremely unlikely to get any other big releases, except maybe another round of commander decks in Q4.

2025: Final Fantasy

I think this year we reached the peak. But yeah, it even undermines the hype for the Doctor Who set to have this reveal so soon. Not great marketing strategy imo

I think that's the nature of the crammed release schedule.
Is one thing every month really crammed from a release standpoint? I feel like most Magic products can be safely ignored except for Standard sets and Horizons sets if they're not interesting to a given person.

Is one thing every month really crammed from a release standpoint? I feel like most Magic products can be safely ignored except for Standard sets and Horizons sets if they're not interesting to a given person.
Sure, but this is a UB thread and we're talking about two UB sets.

On which part?

I think that's the nature of the crammed release schedule.

Their marketing data will determine that lol. I imagine they're attracting other fandoms successfully.
The alienating part. That's my own personal reaction vs. yours, nothing more!

I don't think it's a crammed release schedule personally either.

Their internal data will certainly be deciding it, but what I'm saying is that I think it's finding a good rhythm.

I don't think it's a crammed release schedule personally either.

I think it's pretty crammed... but not for, like, people who play the game casually? Like, if you just play Commander or update your cube occasionally or whatever, the amount of product is a plus (because hey, more cards to mess around with!)

It's far more crammed for, say, Legacy players (because every single release could add new top-tier playables to the format) and the development team themselves (because they have to design and test, what, three times as many cards a year?). I'm worried that the current rate of product creation isn't sustainable, and that things will crash and burn sooner rather than later.

Totally forgot Junk existed in all this Lost Caverns of Ixalan explore Map talks.

I mean, unless they're incredibly careful with how they design Junk producers, I can't imagine them having good play patterns? Like, with Blood/Clues/Food/Maps, there's a cost to use them for their "intended" purpose, so you're encouraged to find alternate ways to make use of them. Junk's just... you get to impulse draw a bunch of cards for free when you're in a position to make use of that temporary draw. There's an obviously correct way to use Junk, and that's pretty disappointing.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I mean the cost is the card, right? Like that's why these don't have activation costs

It certainly has a lot more variance than clues or blood, which (IIRC) people like about maps

I mean the cost is the card, right? Like that's why these don't have activation costs
There's only two costs. The tapping and the sacrificing of the token. No mana cost. So you would always sacrifice this token if you feel like you have the available mana to cast whatever could be coming and you have nothing better to do. I think this is what Mapi was talking about.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yes, and then you have to pay the (somewhat) variable cost of the top card of your library, or lose it.
Like yeah, it's a simple problem to solve, but this does produce more varied outcomes than most trinkets, is what I'm saying

Yes, and then you have to pay the (somewhat) variable cost of the top card of your library, or lose it.
Like yeah, it's a simple problem to solve, but this does produce more varied outcomes than most trinkets, is what I'm saying

You can say it will leave the players with more feels-bad moment for sure when the card cannot be played.

The thing is that Junk tokens let you wait — you can have something make a Junk token and then have it sit there until you're ready to use it, which eliminates so many of the traditional downsides to impulse draw that it's kinda unreal. And, unlike Clues or Food, using a Junk token for its intended purpose is pretty much always going to be better than feeding it to a sac outlet (which feels really odd when you consider that it's Junk).

Junk is strong, sure, but it's also very bleh, so the cards that make them are going to need to carry the load.

Junk could have been named Treasure and it would have suited fine :p

I think it will be a nice addition to the game. Sad about the naming because it’s restricting it to real world items.