General Post your Favourite Unusual Archetype/s

Inspired by the Bounce > Flicker thread, I'm interested in hearing about the innovations people have made with their own cubes. Not so much to get feedback on ideas, just to share cool stuff we like.

What archetypes do you support that no one else does? Which familiar archetypes do you run with an unusual twist? How do you make sure they're fun to draft and play, and what other archetypes (popular or not) overlap with them?

My offerings:

I like storm, quite a bit in fact. I hate it in cube. First you gotta run enough payoffs, none of which go in other decks. Then you gotta run enough enablers, which either don't go in other decks, or skew the format to fit a very specific mold. Then you gotta draft all the bits and pieces and hope it doesn't all fall apart. The reward isn't really worth it imo.
My attempt at including it is built around these two:

Both are permanents you can interact with, and therefore have to protect. Protecting them turns into extra triggers when you're going off. Both require a smaller storm count than Tendrils or Brain Freeze (Or Grapeshot or Warrens). If you have to go for the hail mary in regular storm, you either win or whiff. If you have to go for the hail mary with these, you can gain enough life, deal enough face damage, or affect the board enough to buy time for another attempt. Both of them also promote interactive games where you don't have to go for the hail mary, because you're constantly pinging off small threats or slowing the bleed while drawing into your combo turn.

Beyond the usual package of card selection and card draw, as well as a fair few flashback/retrace/jump-start cards, here's how I support them:

If you go for this deck but don't find the artifacts, other payoffs you could pivot towards include:

They also have seen play with cards from the blue artifact deck (My lower power environment is too slow for Tinker/Welder):

I won a lot of games with Blast of Genius back in RTR standard, I love Kamigawa's Epic spells, and the Gearhulks are just the coolest. So of course I had to try this out.

And a few others.
All these need you to do is pack your deck full of the following:

Ways of manipulating the top of your deck, like:

Big expensive spells to throw away, like some fatties that the super ramp or reanimate decks were hoping to attack with, or even some perfectly castable spells like:

If it isn't quite coming together mid draft, don't worry! You can switch to ramp, or polymorph, or reanimator.
Or if you're too committed to your red burn spells, you could get low to the ground and hope you get off that Bedlam Reveler with one of these two:

Or maybe Blasphemous Act your own

Really looking forward to seeing what everyone has to contribute.

My cube has a lot of weird archetypes, but my pet archetype is the Simic Self-Mill Combo deck:

Win-Cons:

Primary gameplans:
- Utilize various draw and self-mill cards to burn through your library and win with Oracle, Jace, or take infinite turns with Nexus once your library is depleted
- Drop a Mesmeric Orb with Nexus in library: your opponent mills out or it accelerates the Nexus lock
- Oath into Oracle or Eternal Witness. Eternal Witness gets back a combo piece
- Take advantage of playing lands from graveyard to ramp and go bigger than your opponent
- Oath into a fatty or Titania + fetchlands/Zuran Orb

Key pivot spells to lean into turbo ramp:

Other Misc Support:

The archeype overlaps my other Simic archetypes so there are plenty of opportunities to pivot if someone snatches up a key piece. It also scales down in power nicely, and I've supported this archetype at even my lowest power level with Laboratory Maniac or more "Baron" style builds.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I really like the WGx Earthcraft deck (you can see a Naya example in my thread here) that has been catching on around here recently and I look for ways to fold a lot of themes I like under the same umbrella:

-- WR Artifacts can encompass Tokens(/go-wide), Equipment(/go-tall), Humans (a lot of the artifact creatures or other theme enablers are Humans and there's the whole family of Thopter Engineer/Blade Splicer cards which are both non-Human sources and Human hits for Winota), Blink, Sacrifice, +1/+1 Counters etc
-- WG Creatures/Ramp can encompass GY themes (Lands in GY, the 'small' white reanimation for the creatures that care about lands), Blink, +1/+1 Counters, Creature Combo stuff etc

More specifically I like graveyard synergies in BGx and that spawned the 'BiG GY' deck where you have self-mill and a variety of GY stuff powering reanimation and other ways of cheating out big threats, which all in turn play off the graveyard and enable each other somehow. Here's a template:

I would very much appreciate it if WotC got their act together and finally reprinted this baby!

Edit: To be absolutely clear to our dear WotC lurkers, I meant in the modern border, and nonfoil! Thank you! :D
Ah, stacks and cards like

and many more.
Any card that changes the way the game has to be played without being a big threat which ends the game if the other cannot answer it makes me happy.

Last edited:
don’t have a lot of testing reps in yet as the cards are fairly new, but i’ve wanted “Temur Topdecks” as an archetype for quite some time and finally made it happen:
Goes great with a LOT of existing cards/mechanics, such as impulse draw effects, Sylvan Library, Cascade, fetchlands, scry/surveil, Reality Chip…

Aww man I love this! Do you perhaps have some sort of newsletter I can subscribe to?
I tried to make this happen in the first iteration of my cube with Melek and Rashmi and it just did not come together. Kept all the support cards because they're needed for the CMC-Burn and Miracles stuff, and Rashmi occasionally still does neat things with like, Fireblast, or Flashback and Delve spells (To be honest, not often enough to justify her continued inclusion but hey whatever).
Melek sadly has long since been cut - he copied a spell once, it was an Undying Flames, that was taken as a sign.
Now you're making me want to try and make it happen again.

I really like the WGx Earthcraft deck (you can see a Naya example in my thread here) that has been catching on around here recently and I look for ways to fold a lot of themes I like under the same umbrella:

-- WR Artifacts can encompass Tokens(/go-wide), Equipment(/go-tall), Humans (a lot of the artifact creatures or other theme enablers are Humans and there's the whole family of Thopter Engineer/Blade Splicer cards which are both non-Human sources and Human hits for Winota), Blink, Sacrifice, +1/+1 Counters etc
-- WG Creatures/Ramp can encompass GY themes (Lands in GY, the 'small' white reanimation for the creatures that care about lands), Blink, +1/+1 Counters, Creature Combo stuff etc

More specifically I like graveyard synergies in BGx and that spawned the 'BiG GY' deck where you have self-mill and a variety of GY stuff powering reanimation and other ways of cheating out big threats, which all in turn play off the graveyard and enable each other somehow. Here's a template:

Funny, I almost posted the WR Artifact deck. The versatility is incomparable.

On the Golgari archetype: Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis has been the missing piece for me for this archetype as the perfect fatty to reward you for playing creatures...being able to play it from hand or graveyard is so huge...prior to Hogaak, the deck felt a little under realized with just Survival of the Fittest, Dread Return and Living Death. Hogaak connects it all.

I'm a big fan of Royal Warden as it gives you three bodies from the graveyard to flashback Dread Return, but is a perfectly reasonable hardcast.

It's such a flexible archetype, because it can pivot hard towards a few different angles:

Sacrifice:

Dredge aggro:

Resource Denial:

Or a complex mash up of all of the above.

I can give you interesting, I can't attest to their actual quality until my cubeamajigs ks arrives and I'll get around to ordering and playing my cube to a great extent than fooling around with cubecobra test drafts.

Replenish started out as a cute idea and morphed into the most notable single-card build-around with the release of Neon Dynasty and Dominaria United. There are other enchantments, but these are the most notable ones at exploiting Replenish.

Conceptually extremely sketchy, but I already run multiples of all but the first two cards which shores up some of the consistency concerns, and it mostly consist of otherwise solid bread-and-butter cards in the first place. If you want to go deep you can also invest in Wilderness Reclamation to give your lands vigilance and invest in ways to recur and/or protect your lands and key pieces.

There are a lot of ways to approach madness, but I think the RG one is the most beautiful in how it can comes together, in spite of not needing any madness cards. Green doesn't have as much discard support as the grixis section, but its filtering gives you a much higher access to the big payoffs that let you freeform your madness deck to a much higher degree.
I wish I could mention my CMC matters attempt, but it's not yet at a point where it can be considered a major theme of a deck. Dodgy Jalopy, Livaan, Ride the Avalanche and Imoti are cool cards, but I'm not at a point where I'll pick mana-cheating cards in the hopes of making magic happen.

Wow, those are really some unique themes, Mown, sweet! Especially the first two of course. It's funny how I, Gruul Madness' biggest advocate, only cube one of the cards you listed there (Fauna Shaman). It proves imo, that the card pool is rich enough to support that deck in different environments and at different power levels!

Wow, those are really some unique themes, Mown, sweet! Especially the first two of course. It's funny how I, Gruul Madness' biggest advocate, only cube one of the cards you listed there (Fauna Shaman). It proves imo, that the card pool is rich enough to support that deck in different environments and at different power levels!
Yeah I'm probably the biggest Replenish stan. Sylvia Brightspear I don't know what my obsession is with, but she's probably single-handedly warped more of my cube inclusions than any other individual card. Just have to hope it works out in actual practice. I'm pretty confident the level 0 strategy is some tempo pile, so I'm betting on there being enough competition over the pieces to take it some notches down. If not, well, tempo is a sweet deck.
What archetypes do you support that no one else does? Which familiar archetypes do you run with an unusual twist? How do you make sure they're fun to draft and play, and what other archetypes (popular or not) overlap with them?
One of my design goals is to support storm as well. The pieces are there, but it's kind of a mess. I'm pretty sure it's one of the most difficult archetypes to draft. There's roughly three ways I tend to approach it, with possible overlap:
1) Suspend and rebound spells. I run double Profane Tutor as the biggest black storm incentive. There's also a good selection of free spells like Mine Collapse, Burning-Tree Shaman, etc.
2) Haughy Djinn, Cemetary Prowler, Dream Devourer and Umori, the Collector with Manamorphose and Frantic Search primarily.
3) The Mirari Conjecture step 3, especially with Bring to Light
I have Sentinel Tower as a colorless payoff, but for the most part I try to make my storm cards less committal. A storm count 4 Crow Storm or Galvanic Relay is pretty decent and can at least in theory be incorporated into other strategies. Aeve, Progenitor Ooze is difficult to use, but he's incredibly impactful even with quite low storm counts.
I think I should consider putting in Yawgmoth's Will now that I removed Underworld Breach for being too easy to combo with Frantic Search, which would further help black as a storm color and open up some fun options with free spells. I also want to reconsider some other fast-mana options, but I'm still very undecided on those. I think Inspired Tinkering is my favorite card released for storm in a long time, it provides you with both a lot of mana and cards on the turn you want to go off. It also has a cute red-headed gnome, which almost makes me forgive it for being a D&D card.

I would love to contribute to this thread, but I lean too heavily on twisting the rules for my cube (and I'm also generally pretty bad at "decks not cards" design...).

Like, you couldn't steal any of the my loose archetypes from the Capitalism Cube, because a lot of them rely on the fact that everyone has a Revel In Riches emblem.

Someone did recently point out to me that I have a weird Grixis Rogues/Spectacle archetype in my Garbage Half-Cube?

I have Rogues split across all three colors, a couple of prowl cards in {U/B} and some spectacle cards in {B/R}.

This is a sweet idea - I've toyed around with Esper Sagas for a peasant Duplicate Sealed I'm putting together with cards like Thrull Parasite and Clockspinning, and that pile also has a bunch of the channel enchantments from NEO, but I'd never even -thought- about Replenish.

This is so unbelievably spicy. Like, my mind is blown right now, and I don't know if I'll ever recover. I love it so much.

... I have a copy of Sylvia someone gave me to spice up a trade.

... I have been wanting to change my white 3s up a little.

There are a lot of ways to approach madness, but I think the RG one is the most beautiful in how it can comes together, in spite of not needing any madness cards. Green doesn't have as much discard support as the grixis section, but its filtering gives you a much higher access to the big payoffs that let you freeform your madness deck to a much higher degree.

How are you finding Conspiracy Theorist and Magmatic Channeler, and which one has played better for you? I have a lot of discard matters in my cube, and people have played Madness decks in every colour combination that doesn't include White (Which gets the Astral Slide/Spirit Cairn discard decks instead), but I've noticed a real lack free discard outlets and good 2's in red, and ended up resorting to an Insolent Neonate. Definitely have one slot for one of them.

I actually disagree with you on green though - green has some of the best discard outlets for the faster madness decks and the best payoffs. In RG or UG, the draw-7s are just disgusting with a Mongrel or the snake. On top of that, it pivots out of the madness deck mid-draft really easily when you have to - switching to reanimator (Especially Living Death), cycling, lands, or sometimes ramp - which is something I've noticed Red and Blue have a hard time doing in my list.

I incidentally have a wolf-fight tribal thing going on in green (Bunch of token makers, deathtouch-granting lords, and ways of making wolves fight or bite things), so now I'm looking at Faldorn and thinking about moving that from GW to GR. Currently the wolf deck is greens' contribution to Bant Flash, so when I saw Faldorn is I just thought "Wrong colour, I don't have enough impule-draws for this" when I saw it spoiled and didn't even think about it making wolves off Madness-ing a spell - which is obviously way way better. If only Wolf of Devils' Breach could go face for that cross-archetype support with CMC-Matters...

Thank-you for pointing out Cemetery Prowler, Galvanic Relay and Inspired Tinkering - all of these are sick and have some easy swaps in my list. I totally agree about Crow Storm - I use it in UR Polymorph decks too. I would love to see your cube list Mown, I don't think I've ever read a single person's contributions that's provoked me to think about my own list this much in the like 6 years I've been cubing.

Someone did recently point out to me that I have a weird Grixis Rogues/Spectacle archetype in my Garbage Half-Cube?

I have Rogues split across all three colors, a couple of prowl cards in {U/B} and some spectacle cards in {B/R}.

That was meeee!
I like drafting people's cubes on Cube Cobra while waiting for DoTA queues, and I've really enjoyed drafting all of yours. While they aren't something I'd build for myself, they're always interesting and thought provoking pick-to-pick, pack-to-pack - and that's way more important. The grixis rogues/prowl/spectacle thing is probably going to end up being an archetype in my next Duplicate Sealed pool when I get around to it.

How are you finding Conspiracy Theorist and Magmatic Channeler, and which one has played better for you?
Well, you see... that's what the disclaimer at the start was for.
I need to bully my discord friends into playtesting with me, but our timezones don't overlap all that well and they're not very reliable wrt making commitments.
That said I'd probably wager that Channeler would generally be the better of the two, it's certainly a safer pick. Theorist might have a higher ceiling once I go insane and add a couple Lion's Eye Diamond, which might happen in a not too distant future.
I actually disagree with you on green though - green has some of the best discard outlets for the faster madness decks and the best payoffs. In RG or UG, the draw-7s are just disgusting with a Mongrel or the snake. On top of that, it pivots out of the madness deck mid-draft really easily when you have to - switching to reanimator (Especially Living Death), cycling, lands, or sometimes ramp - which is something I've noticed Red and Blue have a hard time doing in my list.
To clarify, green doesn't have good discard outlets specifically in my cube. Wild Mongrel and Noose Constrictor are solid cards, but I don't think they're a good fit for what I want.
I would love to see your cube list Mown, I don't think I've ever read a single person's contributions that's provoked me to think about my own list this much in the like 6 years I've been cubing.
Well, I'm honored. The cube's here. I went and finally updated the description page on the cube, but the forum page is honestly better written. If you're on bant flash then you might find a few more things of interest.

I love the Parallax Wave and Saproling Burst.
But are you a true monster?

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I want to make room for Replenish in my cube as a sort of white version of Living Death. Just like Living Death, it overlaps with Astral Slide, but you get to build a pillowfort instead of a massive army so it will appeal to my partner waaay more (Any excuse to run Sigil of the Empty Throne :p)
Swap out Shefet Monitor for Greater Tanuki, find room for Decree of Silence, Shigeki, Jukai Visionary and Touch the Spirit Realm.... Maybe Form of the Dragon or Sandwurm Convergence, a Starfield of Nyx.... Hmmmm

Last edited:
I love the Parallax Wave and Saproling Burst.
But are you a true monster?

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I want to make room for Replenish in my cube as a sort of white version of Living Death. Just like Living Death, it overlaps with Astral Slide, but you get to build a pillowfort instead of a massive army so it will appeal to my partner waaay more (Any excuse to run Sigil of the Empty Throne :p)
Swap out Shefet Monitor for Greater Tanuki, find room for Decree of Silence, Shigeki, Jukai Visionary and Touch the Spirit Realm.... Maybe Form of the Dragon or Sandwurm Convergence, a Starfield of Nyx.... Hmmmm
Hesitation and standstill require (just like combo) a dedicated deck which is really hard in cube, e.g., a density of manlands and counterspells, (without going on rails and so on). This is a challenge to pull it off!

Form of the dragon and sandstorm do not require replenish (unless you want to cheat them into play like you said like living death, but in that case academy rector?).

Besides, I think the parallax are much nastier than the hesitation/standstill. Especially with blink…

Or god forbid

Last edited:
Form of the dragon and sandstorm do not require replenish (unless you want to cheat them into play like you said like living death, but in that case academy rector?).

Besides, I think the parallax are much nastier than the hesitation/standstill. Especially with blink…

Rector is effectively a one-card combo with the density of sac outlets in my cube, which is a little bit much at my power level. Replenish is either recurring enchantments that bin themselves, or enchantments I've had to draw/tutor for and then discard, or I'm spending an Entomb, and I personally find that extra foreshadowing and set up desirable for my environment.

I think Decree of Silence is definitely the scariest of the options, but the Parallax cards not so much - really need a way of sacrificing or flickering enchantments so you can perma-exile stuff. Nexus has the sorcery speed restriction, so it's not even got that going for it, Saproling Burst makes tokens that check the number of counters on the enchantment, so no shenanigans there. Tide is nasty, no arguments there, definitely a stronger Replenish hit than Standstill, don't know if I'd prefer it to Hesitation but I know it'd feel awful staring down both. Parallax Wave, while it's versatile, kinda feels fair nowadays. Now, if they had Vanishing, oooh boy. Also, lets be fair, saying a card is good with Upheaval is like saying a card is made of cardboard :p

Funny, I almost posted the WR Artifact deck. The versatility is incomparable.

On the Golgari archetype: Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis has been the missing piece for me for this archetype as the perfect fatty to reward you for playing creatures...being able to play it from hand or graveyard is so huge...prior to Hogaak, the deck felt a little under realized with just Survival of the Fittest, Dread Return and Living Death. Hogaak connects it all.

I'm a big fan of Royal Warden as it gives you three bodies from the graveyard to flashback Dread Return, but is a perfectly reasonable hardcast.

It's such a flexible archetype, because it can pivot hard towards a few different angles:

Sacrifice:

Dredge aggro:

Resource Denial:

Or a complex mash up of all of the above.
Would love to see an example of the wr artifact strategy you're referencing for ideas, thanks!

Last edited: