General Post your Favourite Unusual Archetype/s

Would love to the wr artifact strategy you're referencing for ideas, thanks!
That's the thing, it's gotten so much support recently you can do anything with it - and if you choose to, do multiple things at once with it, and have it interact with relevant cards in other archetypes and colours.

Could go straight aggro, spam 2+ power 1-drops, cheap aggressive artifacts and equipment:

Or Artifact Sacrifice - ways of making treasure tokens also help this one out, as does access to black

There's recursion

+1/+1 counters

Or even like, Human Tribal with Winota - a bunch of these creatures come in off Winota but also make tokens you can use to trigger her.

And that's just the beginning. Artifacts are really easy to make, really easy to interact with, and really easy to abuse, and I'm sure you've noticed cards in one spoiler that would help out stuff from another. I personally support mono-W artifact aggro, there's enough stuff to do it.

Last edited:
Would love to the wr artifact strategy you're referencing for ideas, thanks!

Boros artifacts is a synergy intersection of go-tall, go-wide, blink, sacrifice, and cheat strategies

Stoneforge Mystic is one of the key pieces for the deck. It enables go wide by fetching an extra body in reconfigure equipment or living weapons, it goes tall, and is a blink target.

Misc aggro support:

Misc go-wide support:

There's a sacrifice component based around things like:

White's ability to reuse/recycle bodies is great here:

Sacrifice and recursion segue into Cheat decks pretty easily:

There are disruptive toolbox pieces that can be searched out or reused (in addition to Lion Sash)

Misc disruption:

There's +1/+1 support (in addition to ravager and lion sash)

it literally goes on and on. Boros' artifact backbone helps it pivot into so many different strategies

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Example WR Artifact deck (featuring some narrow and/or fake cards but also a lot of generically playable ones):

You have an Equipment theme, a small Humans theme, and a small Blink theme all working together in harmony in a deck that can also just bash people with big idiots without caring about these synergies

Example WR Artifact deck (featuring some narrow and/or fake cards but also a lot of generically playable ones):

You have an Equipment theme, a small Humans theme, and a small Blink theme all working together in harmony in a deck that can also just bash people with big idiots without caring about these synergies
where’s the fake cards i was promised?

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Inchblade Companion/Expedition Supplier if you don't like Alchemy cards, but these ones could easily be 'real' and are compelling enough to be worth the effort IMO

I like explosive cards and here are a couple that spawn archetypes that I don’t see often

Gyruda is a powerful threat. 6/6 for 6 that can add to the board (conditionally).
It’s a hybrid meaning it goes into a lot of colour combinations.
It can also be a companion for an even crazier deck.

Where it gets fun is when you chain the ETB.

You can then win by bashing with your 6/6 and his army, you can mill your opponent out or you can mill yourself out for a Thassa’s Oracle kill.

Here is an example of a UB control deck with Gyruda in the 40. It uses the mill ability to take advantage of the GY with Tasigur, the Golden Fang, Champion of Wits and Treasure Cruise. A few blink effects let you take advantage of your creature suite, but especially Gyrdua.

https://cubecobra.com/cube/deck/6277347ed08f8a0ffdb53d4f
(I know this is from my MP cube, but all the cards in the deck are very playable in 1vs1)

Companion Gyruda is more obnoxious because it's very repetitive, but it really doesn't come up very often.
https://cubecobra.com/cube/deck/614a389ecfeab65d1b956c02

As for the Broodmoth, it supercharges any type of sacrifice deck, enables the persist combo, gives resilience to creature decks and let's you do stupid things like a GW wrath aggro. I don't have many decklists with it, mostly because I think I've been undervaluing it's value. Time to change that!

GW wrath aggro

I also recently drafted a Boros Broodmoth/Terror of the Peaks deck.
https://cubecobra.com/cube/deck/63462660d4b1f40f6f88472e

You sacrifice your creatures with Goblin Bombardment, have them return with Broodmoth and then the Terror domes opponent for a bunch. If you can blink the returned creature, well that's just more triggers to throw around.

What could inspire people to put 18-20 lands in their deck? MDFC lands, retrace, landfall, manlands, kicker/X-costs, etc?
Though I'm not sure that's an "archetype" so much as it'd be a whole-cube "environment".

I come to you not with an archetype, but with the vague hope of one. A few things have happened since Mown blew my mind with that Sylvia Brightspear - I have tracked down and acquired a Faldorn, even though it's LP, and along with it came an Astral Dragon and Ebondeath. Plus, I do really want to find a way to justify including Sylvia because damn that's cool. Adding the whole Dragonlands package is very doable, but there's got to be more than one deck that runs her.

So lets start with the core, something I've been thinking about and haven't committed to since the printing of Ebondeath:

Yeah okay Bone Dragon is too far, lets ignore that one.

Now, I know this isn't really an archetype, more a group of cards that sort of overlap, but let me justify this absolute pile.

Scourge of Nel Toth is sweet when it works and really lame when it doesn't. I already run it because its cute and I love him. He's also friends with Gravecrawler, and Gravecrawler could always use more friends. Like Ebondeath and, like... Boneyard Scourge sorta I guess? Yeah probably not that one either...
That said, Gravecrawler isn't enough to justify it as it's way too high a pick for them to reliably end up together, but Bladewing's Thrall? Much lower priority, much better synergy, still a relevant tribe, and now you can spend {B}{B}{B} to turn any 2 dudes into a 6/6 flyer, a 3/3 flyer and a 2/1 that can't block - and should the scariest threat die you get to totally reset for another {B}{B}{B}. You don't even need to commit to the full payment on the one turn, two black sources in play are enough to get going. Now imagine your initial 2 dudes came from a Lingering Souls or Battle Screech and you have this whole "threats from the 'yard" thing going on. Blue brings in your set up, card selection and extra interaction. You're already going for blue card filtering and token makers, so you can pivot into Mass Polymorph or Proteus Staff if it's not coming together or someone else is in black aggro. Along the way, you might grab incidental "dragons matter" cards - so now Astral Dragon is kinda cool as a pivot pick, right? Like, it's a pretty solid target for any non-aura permanent that recurs stuff OR a Proteus Staff (in single-creature Staff decks it even builds an army), and both of those decks have pretty big overlap in their card selection and setup with this hypothetical dragon deck. It's also a sweet card to flicker with Astral Slide - you know, the deck that wants Eternal Dragon and Timeless Dragon and holy shit look at those creature types, man what a coincidence I definitely did not see coming.

Is this enough to justify a Sylvia? Probably not right? Is now when I start running like, Silumgar's Scorn and Orator of Ojutai? Do I bring in red and run Bladewing the Risen and the other "reveal a dragon" spells? That would mean I could run Dragon's Breath which is sweet as hell! I'm already running Bogardan Hellkite. Is... is now a good time to think about Dragonstorm?
How far is too far?

Help I'm in too deep save me from myself.

What could inspire people to put 18-20 lands in their deck? MDFC lands, retrace, landfall, manlands, kicker/X-costs, etc?
Though I'm not sure that's an "archetype" so much as it'd be a whole-cube "environment".
I for one would want ways to make sure lands weren't a dead draw (Retrace, filtering, spellshapers) and would depower aggro as an entire theatre. Level Up was a great way to set the pace of RoE limited, and while I wouldn't run those cards (with maybe two exceptions), Outlast did a very similar thing in its two outings while also being much easier to cross-pollinate. Other lessons from RoE apply too - Make sure removal is restrictive so 7+mana bombs actually get to attack. Have tricks tend towards the defensive rather than the aggressive to discourage attacks into open mana. Stuff like that. I don't think I ever had a deck with fewer than 19 lands in that limited format, and I usually like to run 17 unless I'm in 3+ colours and really hurting for duals/fixing (Or I top out at 3 mana and am turning dudes sideways).

Sorry for the double post, didn't want bumbeh's prompt to go ignored.

I just made the rule "all lands have cycling {2}" in the Smooth Twin cube and it worked perfectly well to avoid mana flood. I'm being less of a purist with this cube and pretty much everything weird I tried went well.

Without actually changing the rules of the game, I like having lots of mana sinks, especially lands.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I didn't even realize my beloved Replenish was discussed here! A few ideas for it:

Classic combo-control deck - I think direct access to your payoff spell via stuff like Mystical Tutor helps a lot here. I didn't think about Founding the Third Path here until Mown mentioned it but now I'm keen to include it to buff these decks. There aren't many compelling big enchantments to cheat out this way but Kiora Bests the Sea God is a cool control finisher for that slot if you want to buff Replenish.

Don't forget about Urza's Saga as a Replenish-able threat! Like so:

Splendid Reclamation shares the Replenish template and there is a lot of crossover between enchantments and lands in WG so this is a natural pairing.

This list exploits the fact that many of the good classic reanimation spells are enchantments, giving Replenish an occasional buyout as Breath of Life and letting you chase its much higher ceiling. All of these recent Sagas are excellent with Replenish but The Cruelty of Gix really shines here.