General Quilting: a two-player draft format

I draft my cube with two people almost exclusively, and we've been experimenting with a variety of formats. Currently we do a mixture of Winston and Grid drafting, but a couple of weeks ago I remembered an old solitaire game I used to play called Crazy Quilt, and the Cube Quilt draft was born. It's still in early testing stages, but so far it has made for a very fun, different Rochester/Winchester variant.

Here's how it works:

Deal out 64 cards in a grid, with each card rotated 90 degrees from the previous. This is the "quilt". See here:

photo2.jpg

The rules are simple. You can only choose a card with a narrow edge exposed. That's it! So in the photo above, you can't draft Ajani Vengeant until someone picks Azorius Signet or Squee. Once Ajani Vengeant is taken, Bloodline Keeper would become available, and so forth. No-one is likely to ever take Solemn Simulacrum since your opponent would take that Wurmcoil Engine...

When 32 cards (i.e., half) have been drafted, you scoop up the board and deal out a second 64 cards and do it again. At the end, each person will have drafted 32 cards, 16 from each quilt.

Having to spatially plan what you think you can get from a board makes this a very unique method of drafting. Personally, I prefer some amount of hidden information in my drafts, and will only do this as a change of pace, but for those who enjoy Rochester-style games this should be fun. We've found that drafts can go very differently--sometimes people are careful not to expose their opponent's best cards, hatedrafting is rampant, and decks are weaker. Other times players focus on getting their cards, and decks are strong and streamlined.

I'll be interested to hear how it works for others. Enjoy!

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
This looks pretty sweet and novel. I'll need to find a table large enough to accommodate it. I really like the spatial nature of it.

How did you come to the 32 number? That feels like an abnormally small number of picks for forming a 40 card deck (especially since you mention hatedrafting). But maybe since you have so many to choose from at any given point in time it works out.

CML

Contributor
I love it, just fucking awesome. (i agree with jason that 32 seems pretty small but i defer to your expertise.)

q's:

have you tried it with 3+ people?
have you tried varying some of the parameters (mainly # of cards)?
do you think a 'fixing draft' afterwards per jason would be fun?
any other alternative drafting ideas you've come up with?

We've experimented with different iterations of the quilt, and are still experimenting. The reason we ended at 32 of 64 is that only drafting half the board makes it feasible to deny your opponent key cards by simply not drafting in one area of the board. If you start choosing much more than 50%, you can get to most cards pretty easily, and that ruins the tension. Having few picks to waste also makes hatedrafting less viable (or at least more costly). You can get into these interesting situations in which you take a moderately useful card that reveals a bomb that works only for you--your opponent is then basically forced to waste a pick hating it, which leave you up a moderate card for you and a blank for him...

Even more than a regular cube draft, fixing is hugely important. I think I had a sideboard of five cards in my last draft, with all the land and fixing I took! You have a surprising amount of control, though, and it is feasible to draft a streamlined 2-color deck even with so few picks.

I think we might experiment with and 8x10 quilt next time, drafting 40 from each quilt. I'll let you know how it goes.

I've not tried Jason's "Fixing draft" with any style of cubing yet, so I'm hesitant to guess how it'd play out here. Seems like it would work, no? I'd really have to try it out, though.

My old cubing buddy back in Philly just tried quilting with three this weekend. Here, let me copy and paste from gmail chat:
10:17 AM​
Dan: Hey!
Quilted yesterday for the first time
10:18 AM​
Really fun format
10:21 AM​
me: Yay! Did you do 32/64 +32/64?
21 minutes
10:42 AM​
Dan: We did 33/64...
And 4 piles
Because we did it 3way
10:44 AM​
me: Ooh, how was it with 3? I thought it should work, but wasn't sure.
5 minutes
10:49 AM​
Dan: Well, we had some odd logistics
10:50 AM​
Like how can you make it fair 4 times with 3 people
We ended up rolling a die to determine who went first and the direction of the last "pack"
but the dynamics were quite good
You couldn't predict as easily the direction things would go
10:51 AM​
me: How streamlined were the decks? I imagine hatedrafting wasn't as bad with three...
10:52 AM​
Dan: We couldn't do much hatedrafting, because they wouldn't open a card I wanted, and I couldn't open it because they would hate it
My deck was bonkers
:)
mono blue control
with a tiny splash of red and white
for venser the sojourner and goblin welder
10:53 AM​
i got duplicant, welder, and venser out at the same time
it was gross
me: Wow.
I love Venser tricks
10:54 AM​
Dan: I had 2 fetches and 3 duals on color
The other decks were fun too, though
One guy wasn't as strong

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'll certainly test it next time I get an opportunity. I'll try it the default way, and then probably try with an 8x9 or 9x9 grid with a few more picks.

I've been getting feedback from folks on MTGS about it, and some seem to like the 2-grid version, while others prefer a 3-grid version. Also, more people have tried it with three drafters, and it apparently does work.

Let me know how it goes!