Card/Deck Red cards that do 2 damage when you do something

FlowerSunRain

Contributor

(Related, but not exactly the same)

Electropotence
Rivalry
Magus of the Scroll
Arc Blade

There's one in almost every block. Sometimes its an enchantment, sometimes its a creature, but they all let you do damage whenever you do something. I like these cards. They give red decks reach, but they do it in an interesting way, unlike, say, fireblast. Because these cards are based on what you do, you can build around them. Most can hit creatures, so they double as removal. They create interactive game states. Some of them are too limited too be used as written in a cube (looking at you burning vengeance!), but most of them do there job well.

In fact, in Purphoros's case, a little too well if you ask me, I really don't like him as written. He does cost more then the others, but with no activation cost, an easy trigger condition that doesn't cost resources, indestructibility, a random activated ability and sometimes being a HUGE CREATURE, he's a little over the line in my view.

So, did I miss any important ones? Which do/would you use? Is there an easy bandaid to make Purphoros non-miserable, because I love the idea of the card (not the execution). How many of these cards just pulls you into too many directions?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Searing Meditation definitely fits and we've been talking about it recently so I shouldn't have missed it.

I haven't made any move on the +1/+1 counter thing yet as I'm still figuring how to work it. Undying is a good place to be for it, who benefits?

I already run Vorapede, Strangleroot Geist, Geralf's Messanger and Hound of Griselbrand (two of which aren't the most splash friendly).

Mikaeus, the Unhallowed is pretty good, but pretty removable. Pyreheart Wolf is pretty good. Stormbound Geist is ok, but I'm not sure that's where I want to be in 3cc blue creatures. Is Young Wolf playable at all?

Is this enough depth to work with?

Furnace celebration is alsof very nice with eldrazi spawns. Used to play a deck based on that when it was in standard.