Sets Return to Ravnica Block Retrospective

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
It's pretty well established at this point that both Innistrad and Theros blocks have been universally excellent for cubes of all shapes and sizes. But what about Return to Ravnica block? After having more than a year to soak, any standpoints or disappointments?

I don't think any of us took this card seriously when it was first spoiled, thinking to ourselves, "it's just a gold Blue Sun's Zenith". It's funny how good lifegain is when it's free, though - especially when it's instant-speed and scaleable! This card does all a UW control mage could ever want, and is now probably one of the best gold cards in cube, full stop.

I'm ashamed to admit I didn't even experiment (ahem) with this guy until very recently, and it's only because I was skeptical that green aggro was even worth supporting. But I'm happy to report that he almost single-handedly enables the archetype, by being a one-drop that you can curve out with in heavy green aggro decks. As maybe the only playable creature with evolve, he makes for a fun build-around, especially if you run multiples.

I really, really wanted to like the guild leaders.. but they left me wanting. Between their ridiculously prohibitive mana costs that all but discouraged light splashing, and their middling return on investment in an era of Very Powerful Creatures, these guys didn't see a whole lot of play when I had them in my cube, and weren't that impressive on board the rare times they were cast. My wish for balanced, fun, but strong six-drops were not about to be answered here.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Ravnica block was ok, but not very inspiring.

Hybrid mana is great and getting a few more cards that use the mechanic was nice.

Extort is a great mechanic, but the cards just aren't pushed hard enough (and not individually interesting enough to use multiples) to make it into a draftable theme in cube.

Gold cards and cube are always a dicey situation, but there are a few standouts.

Overall, lots of good cards, but nothing that really made me think.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Of the guild leaders, Zegana did impress me quite a bit.
Experiment one is probably what your one drop should be if there ever is a green aggro deck in your cube

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Abrupt Decay and Detention Sphere are great versatile removal spells in their respective colour pairs, though obv far more important for Constructed.

Aetherling is a solid finisher whose heavy mana requirement can be circumvented in cute ways with cards like Sneak Attack, Whip of Erebos, or other reanimation.

Assemble the Legion is neat.

Lots of random fun stuff like Bioshift and Blast of Genius.

Boros Charm is excellent but only really an aggressive card (beyond silliness like Armageddon)

Boros Reckoner is one of my favourite cards printed in the last few years.

I'm not as crazy about BTE as I once was, but I'm still fond of it.

Cartel Aristocrat is the perfect example of a strong and interesting card that gets cut down hard for being gold.

I thought Chromantic Lantern would be much more important than it has been.

Cloudfin Raptor is probably a trap, but I'm still glad it exists.

Cyclonic Rift is a 360 staple slam dunk. I'll splash for it all the time in any midrange/control deck.

Daring Skyjek is automatic if you're in the market for that sort of thing. Ditto Firefist Striker, and really most of the Battalion guys.

Deathrite Shaman = obv

Desecration Demon is mildly compelling as 2BB animals go

Domri Rade might not be in the top 3 RG planeswalkers

I like Dreg Mangler

Dryad Militant has obviated Elite Vanguard, RIP

Dynacharge deserves more attention IMO

Maybe Ethereal Armor is realistic now?

Exava is great if you're going deep in the paint with +1/+1 counters

Experiment One is perfectly fine.

I like Faerie Impostor, you all don't :(

Fencing Ace? Fencing Ace.

Frontline Medic is notable if only for the weird synergy with sweepers.

Frostburn Weird is severely underrated.

Ghor-Clan Rampager has stiff competition among RG cards but is worth it anyway

bad Gideon is called that for a reason

Gift of Orzhova would be more interesting if either colour had worthwhile things to put it on

I love Goblin Electromancer but it cuts against the grain of the creature-focused sets we have nowadays.

Gore-House Chainwalker has nice stats and is a Human/counter-bearer if you're into that

Guttersnipe is decent for Peasant Cubes

Hidden Strings feels dirty

Izzet Charm is great for normal Cubes and eminently cuttable if you're trying to do something specific.

Jace AoT runs into a glut of good blue 4-drops

Lavinia of the Tenth is sweet, or would be if both of its colours didn't have tons of 5s

not much to say about Legion Loyalist or Legion's Initiative other than that I wish both were more playable

Lotleth Troll is excellent

Lyev Skyknight is a nice complement to Geist for an aggressive UW section

Madcap Skills is a nice evasive tool for red, where those effects are in short supply

Mana Bloom is an obvious plant for Enchantress, maybe worth a try

Master Biomancer is the best UG card in the block and somehow worse than all of the ones from Theros

I paid no attention to Nightveil Specter when it came out, but with the advent of devotion I've fallen in love with it.

Nivmagus Elemental goes well with that whole squad (Young P and friends)

Notion Thief is hilarious but in a more Constructed-friendly way

Obzedat's Aid is just a clunky Zombify... except when it returns Elspeth, Sun's Champion or Eldrazi Conscription

Obzedat himself is bonkers if you can get over the 1CCDD mana cost, which I can't

stop hating on Pack Rat

Precinct Captain is very good but I'm shying away from CC 2-drops

Prime Speaker and Progenitor Mimic are classic unplayable EDH fodder... but then again, you can play whichever 6s you want so go nuts

Rakdos Cackler is a godsend, play lots of them

Rakdos's Return deserves more play IMO

It still baffles me that Ral Zarek has seen no play across two different Standard formats, but it's an all-star in Cube

I'm a big fan of Bloodrush, to the extent that I would play Rubblebelt Maaka and Slaughterhorn

Scion of Vitu-Ghazi is a 'fixed' Cloudgoat Ranger?

Selesnya Charm: still good, still gold

Sphinx's Revelation is incredible

Sylvan Primordial is Terastodon/Woodfall Primus done right

Trostani's Summoner is a Reveillark/Recruiter-able army-in-a-can I guess

Turn/Burn is fine

Underworld Connections seems like/is a worse Phyrexian Arena, but we have a lot of cards that untap lands now

I love Varolz but I haven't heard good things from you all?

gogo Voice of Resurgence

bleh Vraska

I want to build a Cube where Zhur-Taa Ancient is good

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Madcap Skills is also probably my favorite card from the block.

Cartel Aristocrat is my favorite card that I don't run because its gold.

After reading Dom's list I will revise my statement. Ravnica block was awesome in spite of not being inspiring.

Yeah, it didn't prop up any archetypes on its lonesome, but it has plenty of great cards that fit in a lot of decks on top of a few cards for archetypes that other blocks really support hard. I think that while innistrad had plenty of great cards it was nowhere near RTR in scope. So much great stuff in here.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member

Despite there always being a plethora of good four drops, I agree that both of these have been wonderful. Interesting, unique, and containing a fair bit of play to them. I think these are in for the long haul over here, too.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I would have to look, but I almost feel like RTR (the set) provided more on its own than the entire Ravnica block (maybe that's BS, but RTR felt stacked). Except for Gravecrawler, which has been the single most impactful card to ever hit my cube.

Rav block cards I'm running (in at least partial slots):

There may be more but my list isn't cube-tutorable, so...

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I think part of the problem is that the block feels weak because Dragon's Maze delivered almost nothing. The cards that we did get all came out early in the block.