General Riptide Emotes / Reactions

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
ZenForo has a stock laughing tears emoji that I can enable with one click. The problem with the reactions is that they get shrunken down to like 20x20 pixels or something, so there's not a lot of space to play with.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, laughing tears emoticon is one I use a lot personally, whenever I think something is really funny :) I like the Penny Pincher concept, I could see if my minor photoshop skills are enough to pull that one off :)

I could do without snappy and bush. However I do miss one of an MTG logo of some sort.

I use heart when something touches me inside.
I use thumbs up when I agree with someone or want to thank them for writing an article.
I use Riptide when the comment is particular Riptidey.
I wish for a Magic logo when something is particular Magiclike.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I could do without snappy and bush. However I do miss one of an MTG logo of some sort.

I use heart when something touches me inside.
I use thumbs up when I agree with someone or want to thank them for writing an article.
I use Riptide when the comment is particular Riptidey.
I wish for a Magic logo when something is particular Magiclike.
Could you give an example? Like, this forum is extremely Magic-related, so when would you highlight something as particular Magic-like?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Woo! It's gaining traction! If Jason caves I'll see if I can do an actual decent version of it that's still recognizable at small sizes :D

I respect Jason for saying he only wants a few emojis. I can relate to that decision. I would do the same if it was my site.

I would also fear the laugh emoji would ever be used sarcastic as a way to make fun of a comment you do not agree with. I hope people will refrain from doing so. If it happens more than super rarely, I vote that we remove the laugh emoji.

This is an example of a Riptide comment (in my opinion)
https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/mh2-modern-horizons-2-previews.3373/post-103180

This is an example of a Magic comment (in my opinion)
I can't find any within the first minutes I was looking for it so I'm going to withdraw my request because I can't possibly be wanting it that much if I can't even find a good example, loooooool.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I would also fear the laugh emoji would ever be used sarcastic as a way to make fun of a comment you do not agree with. I hope people will refrain from doing so. If it happens more than super rarely, I vote that we remove the laugh emoji.
This is a legitimate concern, and hopefully we can avoid that kind of toxicity here. Fully agree with the option of pulling a reaction from the selection if it is misused.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
You pulling the request made me actually laugh Velrun, that was gold :D

Are people doing that? Using the laugh icon sarcastically? Agree with Jason on that part though. Let's hope people are not now thinking "haha, funny, let's get this smilie pulled by using it inappopriately on purpose!"

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Are people doing that? Using the laugh icon sarcastically? Agree with Jason on that part though. Let's hope people are not now thinking "haha, funny, let's get this smilie pulled by using it inappopriately on purpose!"
I haven't seen it yet, but the Wagg and Snappy are both less confrontational than explicit laughing.

I do usually use wagg for jokester posts, so I'll have to see if I have use for the laughing emoji

Honestly, I'd love to see more reactions drawn directly from Magic cards. Like a LabMan emoji for 'mad scientist' posts, a Basking Rootwalla for posts that are all about taking things easy, etc.

Completely off topic, it makes me wonder what the most commonly-mentioned cards are on the forum and what are the most commonly-employed cards in our cubes, on the basis that those might make for good emojis. I'd suggest Hidden Gibbons, but we already have the 'wagg. Hmm...