Site News Riptide Lab Road Map

As you may have noticed, I am the newest addition to the Riptide Lab team. Many of you know me by Kranny, Kojiro (MTGS), or kstube (Twitter). For those of you who don't know me, I'm an impassioned cube designer and Magic player and when I'm not spending time with family or playing old console games, I spend most of my free time writing about and discussing cube content. Thanks again for the warm welcome. I look forward to discussing cube with you all.

Over the past few weeks I've been working with Eric and Jason to help us identify some website goals like increasing membership, improving cube discussion, and providing some direction to the marketing and administration of Riptide Lab. We have a lot of pie in the sky ideas on how we want to manage the site and where we see the site going in the short/long term, but we understand that Rome wasn't built in a day, and we might have some issues with creating a compelling posting space by introducing big changes over a short window. That said, we don't think of Riptide Lab as our plane and you guys are just along for the ride. The success of Riptide Lab ultimately rests with our postership. We need your feedback in order to successfully launch the kinds of initiatives that will make for the best possible community and posting environment.

As we work through what kinds of initiatives we want to tackle first, you may or may not see threads like these pop up. We want honest and open feedback. In some cases, we will literally stop everything we're doing if we're met with strong opposition; in other cases, we may move forward anyway with the option of rolling back if it's not successful. There's also items that we may implement without consulting you all. I know I speak for all of us when we say that if you have an issue with the administration or direction of the site, that our inboxes are open and we're willing to listen to how you think we can improve.

As I said before, we want to start small, so I'd like to introduce the first item up for change as a part of our road map: forum reorganization.

When the forum was kicked off, it was decided that due to the low number of initial threads, that cube content threads and cube lists would be posted in the same forum. While this works for a smaller postership, the content can become unweildy if we were to take in another 20-30 active members. As one of our primary goals is to increase registered members, we want to have a forum that is primed for those users to come in, introduce themselves, post their list, and start contributing. The idea in reorganizing is that we're building with expansion in mind. The proposed change is to move cube lists into their own subforum and all other cube-related content including article feedback, MCD/SCD, variant ideas, etc. would be in the main forum.

I want to hear from you all. Are you okay with us making this change? What are the pros and cons? If you were to rate your support or opposition for the change on a scale of 1-10, what would you rate it?

Thanks for taking the time to respond, and I look forward to building this community with you all!

I must say, that after learning about this site earlier today from a comment on my article, it makes the forum all the more enticing to see a brand new admin post from Kranny about future direction. I've scanning through a few content pieces and forum posts, and I'm certainly intrigued by the potential. Since this is my first visit I don't really have a foundation for a voice-able opinion, just that I'd love to see this forum be proactively pushed intellectually by admins or posters, in regards to article discussion or otherwise. Stagnation points are easy to get to in the early life of something like this, though it doesn't look like that should be a problem.

I look forward to seeing what you guys can do, as well as be a part (likely small part, I'm always able to read more than I can post) of this cube community going forward!

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I'm in favor as well. We always knew we'd hit a tipping point eventually, and there's been an explosion in activity in just the last week. We had one 24-hour period with upwards of 100 posts. As things ramp up our need for organization increases.

VibeBox

Contributor
glad to welcome you, kranny! got to be honest, you're a "big get" for this little site. good things brewing here. : -)

for the love of god restructure the site. i argued it then and i still think it now; the reddit style scroll down list of threads look is ugly and unproductive as fuck

Your first priority should be to record another episode of Joy of Cubing so I have something to listen to on the drive to work!

(On topic, the direction for reorganizing makes much sense.)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Can't say I've ever really seen anything else, you have me slightly confused.

Love the idea of the separate section for cube lists.

I think he means the Reddit front-page style of having content from all sorts of different subreddits (tags, here) presented on the same page.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I think he means the Reddit front-page style of having content from all sorts of different subreddits (tags, here) presented on the same page.
Ah okay, that makes more sense.
I don't mind the Primers/Card Discussion and general nonsense posts being together, since at the moment a seperate card discussion forum would be barren indeed, but cube lists sectioned off would be fine by me.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I've long been a proponent of having everything easily accessible from one place. But even I have to admit that with the recent surge in activity, it's getting to a point where there's often more new, unread threads than there is monitor space to display them on. We knew we'd hit this point eventually, where a split would be inevitable, and I'm pleased we've hit that milestone faster than I would've predicted. As much as it'll pain me to have to visit two URLs (!!), I think, for the sanity of most of our members, that branching off one subforum would be a good way to start.

That said, if you have a dissenting opinion, please don't be afraid to voice it and play devil's advocate. I know that I've heard from someone in the last 24 hours who would still prefer to keep everything together in one forum, and I believe there's also been posts to that effect within the last week or so. Please chime in with your thoughts!

The latest change is up. Considering how most Magic players typically react to change I'll assume silence is a good thing.

Expect another landmark on the road map in the next week or so. Thanks for the feedback.

Rob Dennis

Developer
Really happy whenever folks are deliberate and explicit about the kinds of changes they're looking to make. Great job :)