Card/Deck SCD -- Fire Covenant

CML

Contributor
Lovers of Ice Age (there are two of us) know that the set known for such limpid powerhouses as Chromatic Armor, Ice Cauldron, and Balduvian Shaman also produced tasteless and convoluted effects like Pyroclasm and Anarchy, to say nothing of Demonic Consultation and Necropotence.

42.jpg
9.jpg

"TL;DR."

These days I skip a good two-thirds of SCG's content -- to be fair to Mike Flores, this number wouldn't drop by that much, were he to disappear -- but I always read certain authors, and one of them is Carsten Kotter. In his excellent article on underplayed Legacy cards (http://www.starcitygames.com/article/26717_Ten-To-Play.html), he discusses this card:

367.jpg

"Restrictive covenants? Easy enough, we're still a Highlander format ..."

Carsten writes:

I have a question for you: at what mana cost does Plague Wind become playable in Legacy? I can't give you an exact answer, but I'd posit that three mana at instant speed should be good enough—and that's exactly what Fire Covenant is in the right type of deck. This card is ideal for Deathrite Shaman / Dark Confidant mirrors as long as you're aggressive enough to negate the life loss and is an incredible tool in any deck that combines aggression with a desire to sweep the opponent's board.
Now, I didn't rediscover this card; the German designers of the BURG deck (RUG Delver splashing Deathrite Shaman) did, and boy did they uncover a monster. If you haven't seen the beating Elves or Goblins takes when a Delver deck fires this off, you won't believe it, and the card also deals favorably with almost everything else in the format that isn't cheated in or called Tarmogoyf (and it's even an out to that big guy in a pinch).
As long as your (semi-) aggressive-minded deck can cough up 1BR, this card should be in your sideboard. Therefore it should fit well into most Young Pyromancer brews at the very least, and maybe we're lucky and there's a way to make Boros Reckoner into an actual Legacy card so that we can play with the oldest combo of them all again (Channel / Fireball).

Seems like a skill-intensive, sweet card -- remember that the life payment is part of the cost.

What do y'all think?

Three mana plague wind is actually unbeatable in a bunch of cube matchups, even with the life payment. I tested it briefly to try to support a Death's Shadow theme but Fire Covenant was winning games without any synergy and Death's Shadow remained unplayable.

It's probably fair in a stronger environment and if your Rakdos aggro decks are having trouble breaking through blockers or winning creature races then it's a fine choice. It's harder to make use of in a control deck and so if you want a more flexible card you might stick with Terminate and its ilk.

On the other hand lots of good aggro creatures have greater power than toughness so paying for the covenant is still saving you life and putting you up on cards. I say try it out and see what happens!

CML

Contributor
Nah, they're vastly different. Rain costs 6 at sorcery speed, I was gonna test it out but then I compared it to some other card that I need help remembering and came up with a guess of "unplayable"

My friend's peasant cube runs this, and him and the most experienced drafter with it were saying it is the best card probably. They were talking about removing it yesterday for that power concern or errata nerfing it. They were talking about maybe making it 2 life per but that would be too much, or 1.5 life somehow (maybe alternating 1 2 1 2 1 2 life), but that sounded awfully goofy/confusing/unwieldy, so I suggested phyrexian mana. I'm not entirely sure what to think because I haven't seen his cube in months because of summer break and the card wasn't in there before.

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/1590 here's his cube for reference

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
You could try the half lives. I run City of Ass, and now and then the half mana can be quite interesting. Then again, there are a couple ways to make it matter in my cube. It can always happen that you return Fire Covenant and make two half life payments. Most of the time, though, City of Ass just makes a useless half mana, and it doesn't really matter. If you think 1.5 life is right, don't be afraid of having some wacky life totals if it makes the card fair.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
It sucks when you play genesis wave for 5.5, flip 5 cards, rip the next one in half, and it costs 6.
That never happened, but maybe one day when we iron man the cube we can try it.