General Secret Lair Spoilers

I could never. But good for you and the people who can <3

Appreciate the perspective. I also have my qualms about both the artwork and the silver border, but we're already off the deep end as far as I'm concerned and this isn't significantly more offensive to me than many other cards I've been considering/testing/including.

Applejack seems quite powerful. As long as the toys have different names, they are less susceptible to cards like Maelstrom Pulse or Echoing Truth. Presumably a toy with horns and wings would get both scry and flying. Colour could be an issue. My opponent might claim their creature has protection from my red toy due to Sword of Fire and Ice, but I claim that the toy is crimson, so it is able to block.

Because of potential rules disagreements, I don’t think I’ll be running this.

I love the fun unglued can bring. The sad part is that it is all over when people start to get competive. You get rules issues or someone who brings all kinds of tokens (toys or whatever can become a token), stops wearing glasses and so on...

am I missing the part where it's two tokens? the card says one token. which is a fair bit weaker than the version of it being described

1ykd0bbro1qb1.png
l301wuhwo1qb1.png

New Secret Lair basic cycles! We've actually been pretty sparse on these in 2023 compared to the last two years, and I have to say, these are both excellent. While I don't prefer full-art, both the Sumi-e and pixel art styles really take advantage of the verticality. The Plains and the Swamp from the Sumi-e are among the best in class of all Magic history, IMO, and the rest of that cycle aren't that far behind. The pixel lands, which I should hate on principle, continue to exceed my expectations from their snow-covered variants, particularly the Plains and the Mountain. Just lovely lands overall!!

Edit: not particularly interested in any of the Universes Beyond cards revealed as part of Secret Lair except this one, which solves my issue of not particularly liking any of the previous arts for this card:

sld-1447-baral-chief-of-compliance.jpg

Last edited:
The Pixel Basics (including the first batch that was Snow) really reminds me of the games I played when I was young.

I think for these I would still only get them if they were specific to a game I actually played and liked. Then they would be worthy of hanging on my wall.

And if they were set on a known plane from MTG like Zendikar, Arcavios, Ixalan, Dominaria, Ravnica, Ikoria etc. they would be worthy of including in my cube. Now that they are ‘just’ generic pixel art I sadly have no use for them in my cube because they would ruin the feeling of being inside the world of MTG.

They are sweet though!