General Secret Lair Spoilers

Oh god I think I'm going to have to buy the Fortnite Secret Lair

0adf3831-93d9-4995-b8c8-0d8c03fee872.jpg
1daf0244-ffb9-42f3-8301-34cee7b9ae1b.jpg
2f8eb787-02e9-47d1-a0d2-bac3f7eb8ce0.jpg

Tie-in cards for the D&D movie have been leaked, and now we can have Chris Pine's likeness in our cubes, without even having to alter them anymore!

6vwphidznfpa1.png

I ran Dream Devourer for about a year. It was a relatively quiet year for cubing, so it didn't get drafted much, but it's essentially the same card, even if Edgin is in more suitable colours. If the Devourer couldn't justify itself, I doubt Mr. Pine will be able to claim an even more elusive gold slot -- but something about this card just feels right. Will investigate my feelings later.

srfb5ldznfpa1.png

This Hugh Grant art is silly and scarcely feels like a Magic card as a result. That said, if my cube was slightly less powerful, I'd absolutely include him - he's a great intersection between a lot of the archetypes I like in black, and I do love Hugh Grant. But when I've been spying this slot in cube for Sheoldred, the Apocalypse, it seems like I'm Nevergoingto include Neverwinter.

zvz5ridznfpa1.png

Super sick signpost card for those with an enchantress theme. May try this one out in my Champion's League / Reject Cube.

48wnlmdznfpa1.png

It's basically baby Jace on a body, right guys?

6vwphidznfpa1.png

I ran Dream Devourer for about a year. It was a relatively quiet year for cubing, so it didn't get drafted much, but it's essentially the same card, even if Edgin is in more suitable colours. If the Devourer couldn't justify itself, I doubt Mr. Pine will be able to claim an even more elusive gold slot -- but something about this card just feels right. Will investigate my feelings later.
This card is actually capable of attacking on a regular basis. I think that's what saves it as far as feel is concerned.

You know, I've always resisted putting Ward - Sacrifice a creature on something because of control decks.
Maybe I'm worrying too much, maybe it's hexproof.
Control decks probably have something like destroy all/each. They are best equipped against ward. The problem is control creatures with ward, they are a beast agains non-control.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
IF the answer is "control decks have creatures thesedays, this isn't that bad", I'm okay with it. Hard to remove but doable, and works with basically any removal spell, but still costs you.
IF the answer is "This only dies to wrath and your control decks have wraths", that's still a bad answer, it's just hexproof at that point, and worse it's only hexproof against some decks. You've narrowed the # of cards that let you interact with this from every removal spell to just the wraths.

IF the answer is "control decks have creatures thesedays, this isn't that bad", I'm okay with it. Hard to remove but doable, and works with basically any removal spell, but still costs you.
IF the answer is "This only dies to wrath and your control decks have wraths", that's still a bad answer, it's just hexproof at that point, and worse it's only hexproof against some decks. You've narrowed the # of cards that let you interact with this from every removal spell to just the wraths.
My point was that most control decks do not have a big problem with ward/hexproof.
Ward sacrifice a creature on a control creature is not hexproof against most non-control decks.
That said, I am and have been a firm opponent against hexproof and any thing that even comes close to it. Shroud is much less egregious.

This is also why I am not a fan of boggles type of decks, where one creature is supercharged with many auras/equipments. It is very hard to make it worth for a player without having creatures with hexproof. At the same time, the hexproof completely negates the risk and leaves the opponent feeling helpless and is as fun as a combo deck going off.
Maybe it could be done with some auras that return, that leave a token, that fall of and become a creature?

This card is actually capable of attacking on a regular basis. I think that's what saves it as far as feel is concerned.
I think you're right. It's also in the right color combo and has Chris Pine on the art!

42uWcsSAuMuAzS0AFEM1mAJaE0BFNKej74PrGF3nEKw.jpg

Bonus card for the D&D set has been revealed. It's surprisingly good! It's a giant earthquake as an ETB, and leaves behind a totally reasonable body. Plus, he's a big boi.

this seems like a funny ramp target for RG big mana type decks... not sure it really works in cheat unless you're sneak attacking or breaching it, since those decks presumably will have multiple mountains in play

1537_Applejack.jpg

Baby Grave Titan.

The green "bits and bobs" deck with Tough Cookie et all is really coming together!

A 4/4 for 4 that finishes the turn with two tokens and more upside if it lives? I'll probably get flying tokens 50% of the time, but with how many token-matters cards I've been adding lately, I can't look away from a card that adds two every turn without asking you for a thing when need them.

Applejack supports GW's token theme, generic GW midrange, W's legendaries-matter, and GW artifacts. She's at a very competitive slot in the curve, but I think this compares very favorably to things like Leonin Warleader and Hero of Bladehold without asking you to risk your token-generator.

I'm sure many will (reasonably) pass on this for the flavor and/or silver-border, but unlike so many of her fellow ponies, Applejack doesn't have any distracting additive confusion in the form of a 5-color ability or feel terribly "un-set". Serious contender for my list.

Last edited: