General Secret Lair Spoilers

I came in here because I thought there had been more Secret Lair cards spoiled. Then I saw the Hawkings National Laboratory had a new name and art and thought it was Wizards who had already given us the real card version. Then I realized it was just a custom card posted in this thread.

Pretty sure they're doing all the new ones as regular cards. I think the Walking Dead ones *are not* slated to get that treatment though.

This has apparently been reversed.

TWD cards will also be re-imagined as "normal" cards and will be distributed to players as part of "The List".

This has apparently been reversed.

TWD cards will also be re-imagined as "normal" cards and will be distributed to players as part of "The List".
So the cards will get a ‘normal’ version? And they will be release in ‘The List’ and in no other sets?

(making them super, duper rare and setless)

@Morphling
That is good to hear. In my opinion the rare version of the card should be the special one. The one not included in normal sets.

Magic has become a very cheap game to play. As long as you don’t want any special versions of cards. I very much like it this way because now Magic is for everyone. If you want a cheap game and to be able to compete on only skills and not wallet, this game is for you. If you want to pimp your EDH deck, your cube or your other non-rotating deck in a way that doesn’t change any win% at all but are merely skins, this game is for you. If you want deep lore and rich history, this game is for you. If you like trading and socialization, this game is for you. If you want quiet time alone on the PC playing Arena, this game is for you.

If you want a cheap game and to be able to compete on only skills and not wallet, this game is for you. If you want to pimp your EDH deck, your cube or your other non-rotating deck in a way that doesn’t change any win% at all but are merely skins, this game is for you. If you want deep lore and rich history, this game is for you. If you like trading and socialization, this game is for you. If you want quiet time alone on the PC playing Arena, this game is for you.
If you like Dracula, this game is for you..

@Morphling
That is good to hear. In my opinion the rare version of the card should be the special one. The one not included in normal sets.

Magic has become a very cheap game to play. As long as you don’t want any special versions of cards. I very much like it this way because now Magic is for everyone. If you want a cheap game and to be able to compete on only skills and not wallet, this game is for you. If you want to pimp your EDH deck, your cube or your other non-rotating deck in a way that doesn’t change any win% at all but are merely skins, this game is for you. If you want deep lore and rich history, this game is for you. If you like trading and socialization, this game is for you. If you want quiet time alone on the PC playing Arena, this game is for you.
Hmm, cheap is relative of course but I do not find (eternal/paper) competitive magic cheap. It is very much pay to be able to compete and often the more expensive decks are better (burn is a great counterexample)

Hmm, cheap is relative of course but I do not find (eternal/paper) competitive magic cheap. It is very much pay to be able to compete and often the more expensive decks are better (burn is a great counterexample)
Yeah true. I somehow forgot Eternal Magic when I said Magic was cheap. Standard is cheap. Compared to 2009-2017. And everything on Arena is very cheap.

can confirm that seeing what had happened to card prices after my “having three kids hiatus” was a big part of what convinced me i could even get back into the hobby at all

and of course all custom cards are $0.50 regardless of aesthetics or tournament/edh viability
:mp:

I wouldn't call paper standard cheap. Decks are about $100-$400 for a competitive one, and I would compare that to around $50 for a board game. But $50 is enough to play some good kitchen table MTG, so it can compare to a board game.

So yeah, most cards are cheap. Tournament players, commander players, and people who like special versions of cards make the stuff I want less expensive. Thanks! If you're ever in Iowa, I'll buy you a beer.

A board game can cost anywhere between $50 and $100 these days.

(In general, board game afficionados use the term in a way that doesn't include stuff like chess or Monopoly, which skews the prices somewhat.)

Oh boy, if only. Twilight Imperium set me back $70 in 2017, and that was a bargain due to a new edition coming out. And don't even get me started on Gloomhaven or Frosthaven (which are definitely worth it at $100/$130, but are still very expensive). But yeah, Kickstarter-era board games start at $40, usually. In a lot of ways, though, the increase in quality more than makes up the price difference--I feel like I'm getting a better bang for my buck throwing down $45 for Burgle Bros rather than paying $20 for Monopoly because there's so much more to explore in Burgle Bros. It's not a bad thing imo, but the price creep is still definitely real.

I probably should've included prestige board games in my price range. :p

Cross-hobby pricing is weird, though. Spending $100 on a standard deck and $100 on Gloomhaven are entirely different propositions, since the deck has an "expiration date" in the form of rotation. On the other hand, Gloomhaven feels more expensive because you have to slap that money down in one big chunk, while you probably have at least some of the cards for that deck floating around.

Also thanks, Zoss, for reminding me that I shelled out a bunch of money for boardgames back when I had money, despite not having anyone to play them with. :(

A board game can cost anywhere between $50 and $100 these days.

(In general, board game afficionados use the term in a way that doesn't include stuff like chess or Monopoly, which skews the prices somewhat.)
Unless you went heavily into Kingdom Death Monster. Like I did..

How does the secret lair thread not have the hottest drop of 2021 yet?

f703837b6113b7daa96c55577ff65ecb_KR_378_Q70.png

Cross-hobby pricing is weird, though. Spending $100 on a standard deck and $100 on Gloomhaven are entirely different propositions, since the deck has an "expiration date" in the form of rotation. On the other hand, Gloomhaven feels more expensive because you have to slap that money down in one big chunk, while you probably have at least some of the cards for that deck floating around.
Personally speaking, putting down 100 bucks for Gloomhaven feels like a much more reasonable transaction than spending 10 bucks on a Standard staple (or 30), and the amount of fun you get out of that game compared to a single Commander deck just isn't comparable. I've even put down 100 bucks on board games I haven't even opened yet and I still don't feel nearly as taken advantage of because at least the production costs involve make it a sensible deal. Take the meeple pill, sheeples. Board gamers around the world have decided that over 20 thousand board games are better than monopoly, which is roughly the number of individual magic cards. You're sure to find a favorite.
Unless you went heavily into Kingdom Death Monster. Like I did..
Dominion also gets pretty expensive very quickly once you start collecting expansions and getting sleeves for all of them.