Article Session Report: Bugging Out

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Guy played a 3-pod 47 card deck. I didn't necessarily agree with his choice there. He wanted more creatures for his toolbox, but I think 40 is still the best line. He also had some rather unfortunate draws.

i think the unfortunate draws would be attributable to his choice of playing 47.
most likely he decided to include many silver bullets, where he should've sideboarded them ?
i agree with you, since being able to increase redundancy is important in pod, 40 should be the way to go.

Edit: or 41, for those cornercase lands.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Great to see a bigger deck taking down your draft, for a change! That's the exact kind of deck midrangy deck I've been pulling my cube away from, bit by bit. But in your hyper turbo speed cube, it's sweet to see a deck with seven drops running the table.

CML

Contributor
I used to write a "Nerd Report" for every draft we did, would you guys enjoy that kind of thing?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Great to see a bigger deck taking down your draft, for a change! That's the exact kind of deck midrangy deck I've been pulling my cube away from, bit by bit. But in your hyper turbo speed cube, it's sweet to see a deck with seven drops running the table.
Apparently he first-picked Avenger of Zendikar, which I don't think has ever happened in my cube before.

CML

Contributor
IM CAPABLE OF IT ILL HAVE YOU KNOW I WENT TO COLLEGE FOR THREE YEARZ

king azaz the unabridged! have you guys enjoyed him? is he cooler than baloths? (my best guess was i only wanted one creature like that, and baloths seemed sweeter because its 6-cmc and they dont just lose when it hits when not havin a sweeper)

CML

Contributor
Choose one or both -- A of Z (splashy but costs 7 and is hard to deal with in the absence of a sweeper); Landfall Baloths (fair and more hard-castable but less splashy)

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Entwine

But my real answer is a cop out: It Depends. They're both cards that are best suited for ramp strategies, so it's more a function of how many Sakura Tribe Elders, Explores, and Oracle of Mul Dayas you run. If you have 20+ green cards that generate mana (like I do in my cube), Avenger of Zendikar in particular is supreme. I personally think it's ok for a seven drop to be difficult to answer by anything other than Day of Judgment, because heck, it's seven mana (and really, eight before they get more than 5 power out of the card).

CML

Contributor
Jason, also, would you be interested in "re-runs" of stuff I've written elsewhere? (I'm thinking I could crib mainly forum posts I've made, like Cube as the successor to pre-NWO draft formats, insider hearsay on why the modo cube sucks, etc. but i could also edit a few grafs i've written re. cube design at tcgplayer or elsewhere)

also i wanna do a brief ditty on why the modo cube = dgr draft

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Jason, also, would you be interested in "re-runs" of stuff I've written elsewhere? (I'm thinking I could crib mainly forum posts I've made, like Cube as the successor to pre-NWO draft formats, insider hearsay on why the modo cube sucks, etc. but i could also edit a few grafs i've written re. cube design at tcgplayer or elsewhere)

also i wanna do a brief ditty on why the modo cube = dgr draft

You know, I've been thinking about the scope of our site, and I think that if we want to make interesting design insights it's good to look at more than just cube. I am super cool with re-runs of old stuff. In fact, I basically did one today. I'll probably re-run stuff I write here on CFB. If people were only allowed to convey a thought once, the world would be a very different place.

I think of the front page as our way to make more "permanent" contributions. Forum posts get lost in the shuffle, but actual articles are a bit more lasting.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Hmmmm. Is there a conflict of interest in re-running stuff that you guys have been paid to write for other venues? As I've never written anything for a major publication, I don't know how it works, but it feels like we might be entering into grey area territory here.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I am not copying anything verbatim. As you saw today, I made some related thoughts and then linked to my original article. I also don't think other sites will mind if I use this as a training ground for new ideas and then polish them up for feature length articles.

Guest writers for websites write minor variants on their "beat" topics all the time.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Also, if you're going to just straight up copy something, instead write an introductory blurb with your "Director's Cut Commentary" then link to the original.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, CML, I had a 7/8 Tarmogoyf on the board at one point in time. Didn't quite manage the 8/9, but my opponent did have Bitterblossom in his deck so Tribal was possible.

CML

Contributor
NICE GOYF!!

Sadly Cube is canceled at my house today, but that means I should be able to briefly edit and ship some articles to you. PM me your e-mail