General Showcase 2021

But why would they promote it that way, if it's not mostly neon lights and cyber ninjas? If that would be onla ~half the set, they could've used the two pictures they decided to show off, to actually portrait the set like it's gonna look like?
It was just a part of a bigger event promoting a lot (a lot!) of things and sets. Historically we get just a glimpse of what the set's going to be about until spoiler season comes, and I expect this to follow the same pattern. Remember we thought Ixalan was going to be just Aztecs in Atlantis based on one single image and set name, and that Strixhaven would be a Harry Potter ripoff. A single concept art they pulled out of somewhere cannot represent a whole set, so we see a single aspect of it and extrapolate too much.

I'm optimistic we'll see plenty of the Kamigawa in Neon Dynasty :)

Pretty stoked for Brother's War. (Isn't that Tezzeret on the left?)

I'll be anxious to see the LotR cards. Rest of it doesn't really land for me but that is fine. I liked Kamigawa well enough for flavor reasons but I'm not exactly clamouring for it to come back though. Some cyberninjas might be pretty dope. :D

Because the original block sold poorly and they want people to focus on the new stuff and not the "more of the same" part.
Hopefully they realize the original block sold poorly because the designs were shit, not the thematics.
It's like with Theros: Beyond Death, where the set was themed around the underworld and sold as the "underworld set,"
I didn't even know this lol.
In short- they're marketing the new stuff because that's the exciting part of the set, not the old stuff we've seen before.
Hopefully right. Neon for the newbies, Kamigawa for the real ones.

Hopefully they realize the original block sold poorly because the designs were shit, not the thematics.

The designs were shit and underpowered, and it followed after the mirrodin affinity horror, where many players left. It's beyond me how they struggled for so many years to understand, that a well made set taking place in that japanese myth inspired world could be a hit today.

I'll just approach this without any expectation, except maybe getting at least one good ninja for my cube.

I really don't know if they understand this fundamentally. For years Maro has been pretty annoying whenever met with Kamigawa questions and refusing to acknowledge how shit the mechanics were for the set and how that might have influenced how parts of the playerbase felt. Legendary subtheme wasn't implemented well until Dominaria, the keyword mechanics for the block were mostly awful and didn't play well with the rest of Standard, and to top it off it was sandwiched between two VERY powerful blocks.

Their "official" discourse on Kamigawa as a whole has felt very disingenuous over the years.

Soulshift would be one of my favorite mechanics if there were more worthwhile cards with it. GBw tribal graveyard card advantage? Love that!

This one's sweet! And a few others are kinda ok...

I wholeheartedly dislike soulshift

The most narrow tribal. Tribal functions best if done in batches like ‘Wizard, instant or sorcery’ or like historic ‘Artifacts, legendaries or Sagas’ or party ‘Cleric, Rogue, Wizard or Warrior’

And because it is so narrow it has to be really powerful to be worth it. Hence the reactions “Man this is actually quite good. I wish it was on a different creature type.” And because it is so powerful and narrow, it feels polarizing. It’s either useless or broken. It’s one step up from Miracle.

The most narrow tribal. Tribal functions best if done in batches like ‘Wizard, instant or sorcery’ or like historic ‘Artifacts, legendaries or Sagas’ or party ‘Cleric, Rogue, Wizard or Warrior’
It's only as narrow as the overwhelming majority of other tribal cards. I'd hardly say it's the most narrow. Your preferred kind of tribal is a relatively recent style.
And because it is so narrow it has to be really powerful to be worth it.
A delayed "most narrow" Gravedigger is hardly "really powerful."
Hence the reactions “Man this is actually quite good. I wish it was on a different creature type.”
Has anyone said this?
And because it is so powerful and narrow, it feels polarizing. It’s either useless or broken. It’s one step up from Miracle.
Is that why the most expensive Soulshift card is 56 cents? Because the broken mechanic has been suffering from inflation for the past 16+ years?

It's only as narrow as the overwhelming majority of other tribal cards. I'd hardly say it's the most narrow. Your preferred kind of tribal is a relatively recent style.

A delayed "most narrow" Gravedigger is hardly "really powerful."

Has anyone said this?

Is that why the most expensive Soulshift card is 56 cents? Because the broken mechanic has been suffering from inflation for the past 16+ years?

This feels like an aggressive comment. You simply misunderstood. To answer your questions,

Yes the Gravecrawler has a really, really powerful mechanic. Cast it for 1 mana repeatedly. Really powerful mechanic. But narrow. So it (the mechanic, not the card) only works in narrow decks. I assume you meant Gravecrawler and not Gravedigger since Digger is not a tribal card.

Oh yes someone has said that. Many, many times over the last 16 years. Correct sir! Here is the latest example:

oh wow garami actually is kinda good. i’m also in the “i wish soul shift was on a deece creature” camp

Why the most expensive soulshift card is 56 cents? Because it's narrow. I just stated this several times. Powerful mechanic that only works in narrow situations = low $ card because it's too narrow.

I hope you appreciate I anwered your questions.

This feels like an aggressive comment. You simply misunderstood. To answer your questions,
I'm questioning what you said because it sounds, to me, very questionable. If you want to defend how the mechanic is broken, I'm open to that.
Yes the Gravecrawler has a really, really powerful mechanic. Cast it for 1 mana repeatedly. Really powerful mechanic. But narrow. So it (the mechanic, not the card) only works in narrow decks. I assume you meant Gravecrawler and not Gravedigger since Digger is not a tribal card.
I meant Digger, as Soulshift is a delayed Gravedigger, basically, except that the Digger can get back any creature.
Oh yes someone has said that. Many, many times over the last 16 years. Correct sir! Here is the latest example:
Not what he said.
Why the most expensive soulshift card is 56 cents? Because it's narrow. I just stated this several times. Powerful mechanic that only works in narrow situations = low $ card because it's too narrow.
5 color slivers are incredibly narrow and fetch huge prices. Obviously they're a fan favorite, but people would make it work if there were anything broken about the mechanic. Nice value accumulation across the course of a retail draft or other slow environment? For sure. Broken? No.
I hope you appreciate I anwered your questions.
I do. Again, if you want to provide more evidence about it being broken, I'd like to hear it because this feels way too slow to be broken to me.

Brad you are either misunderstanding on purpose because you are having a bad day and just wants to ruin the mood or on accident because you read too fast and don’t comprehend what is written properly.

If you still want me to explain, you can carefully and slowly read what I wrote. I was being very precise.

I do not appreciate your tone. I don’t think anyone else would in my situation either.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

And because it is so narrow it has to be really powerful to be worth it. Hence the reactions “Man this is actually quite good. I wish it was on a different creature type.” And because it is so powerful and narrow, it feels polarizing. It’s either useless or broken. It’s one step up from Miracle.
Soulshift actually is a strong mechanic, but it is severely handicapped by being on poorly statted creatures, as well as being (I agree with you here Velrun) really narrow. I don't know about literally the most narrow, but 'graveyard value spirits' isn't exactly a well supported archetype, like, anywhere. I don't think the mechanic would be broken if it actually did appear on good cards however, because by design the value is capped by the mana value of the creature with soulshift. All of the spirits with soulshift (except, technically, Kodama of the Center Tree) can only get back cards with mana value < their own mana value. This means that, while you are generating value with each death, the chain has to end at some point. Obviously this is not a rules restriction, and they could conceivably print soulshift creatures that trade up, and that would actually vastly improve the quality of cards with the mechanic.

Soulshift actually is a strong mechanic, but it is severely handicapped by being on poorly statted creatures, as well as being (I agree with you here Velrun) really narrow. I don't know about literally the most narrow, but 'graveyard value spirits' isn't exactly a well supported archetype, like, anywhere.
I wouldn't mind seeing more. It's a nice value mechanic in retail. If they put enough density at common, it could crack some slower cubes.
I don't think the mechanic would be broken if it actually did appear on good cards however,
Agreed and I'd like to hear why from anyone who thinks it is.
because by design the value is capped by the mana value of the creature with soulshift. All of the spirits with soulshift (except, technically, Kodama of the Center Tree) can only get back cards with mana value < their own mana value.
There's the mildly exciting Promised Kannushi that displays the flexibility of the mechanic.
This means that, while you are generating value with each death, the chain has to end at some point. Obviously this is not a rules restriction, and they could conceivably print soulshift creatures that trade up, and that would actually vastly improve the quality of cards with the mechanic.
I think the speed of the mechanic is the real thing holding it back. Even if there were some crazy spirits and they could chain all day and were quite strong, you still have to invest mana, play the card, have it die, get back the better spirit, invest more mana. An exile on any piece of it can ruin the day, as well, so there's good counter play.

I think they did this because Topps wouldn't give them the rights to Shadowrun :p
They recently renewed the IP for Netrunner or something of the sort.

--

Regarding Kamigawa, I think you guys are too harsh on it. Here's how I see it.

First, Champions of Kamigawa is great. It really is. It had a lot of interesting, unique and fun designs like Gifts Ungiven, Heartbeat of Spring and Ninja of the Deep Hours. Cards like Cranial Extraction might seem bad today but they used to be considered quite powerful. The former was a chase rare! It created or expanded many decks and had a positive effect in both Standard and Extended. Frankly, Strixhaven was a great draft format but its impact on constructed has been almost nil. Other than Magma Opus, I can't think of any cards from it that really see play.

It was also a truly great limited format, which we now take for granted but which was not usual at the time. And, depending on who you ask, it has held up better than Ravnica, which is great until bouncelands turn it into 5 colour greed piles. Soulshift and Spirit/Arcane are good limited mechanics. Gravedigger is a really good card in Limited today, stapling its effect in four or five creatures of your deck is very strong. It was a grindy set where you could get card advantage repeatedly and there are neat synergies within it. It has an actual personality, unlike Ixalan or Throne of Eldraine.

Now, Betrayers was middling and weak. More ninjas was a good idea, but there were few cards in the set that really stood out. And the one that did show up was Umezawa's Jitte. Stuff like Yukora, the Prisoner, Tendo Ice Bridge and Genju of the Cedars was neat, but not too impressive.

Saviours of Kamigawa is crap. There were two cards in it that was worth playing - Pithing Needle and Erayo, Soratami Ascendant. I remember being given a bunch of boosters of it in tournaments and you never got anything good. Most of the mechanics didn't even work.

I think the Ravnica-Kamigawa standard is one of the greatest of all time. You had a lot of variety despite the small card pool and decks ranging from aggro, to control to all sorts of combos. You had a deck based around Howling Mine and it was so powerful, One with Nothing showed up in tournament decklists to combat it.

I also think it's important to keep things in perspective a bit. Magic was very different back them. You might think Iwamori of the Open First is a stupidly weak card but back then it was an undercosted 5/5 Trampler with no real drawback.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Saviours of Kamigawa is crap. There were two cards in it that was worth playing - Pithing Needle and Erayo, Soratami Ascendant. I remember being given a bunch of boosters of it in tournaments and you never got anything good. Most of the mechanics didn't even work.
The set had a really low floor, but it actually had a ton of great designs and some cards with great to decent impact! Even ignoring the cards that grew expensive solely because of casual Commander, there's still stuff like Kataki, War's Wage, Footsteps of the Goryo, Enduring Ideal, Kami of the Crescent Moon, Kagemaro, First to Suffer, Celestial Kirin, Infernal Kirin, Ideas Unbound, Hand of Honor aand Hand of Cruelty, Promise of Bunrei, Presence of the Wise, and my personal favorite (because I once countered a Myojin of Cleansing Fire with it in a Standard tournamen), Overwhelming Intellect!
I think the Ravnica-Kamigawa standard is one of the greatest of all time. You had a lot of variety despite the small card pool and decks ranging from aggro, to control to all sorts of combos. You had a deck based around Howling Mine and it was so powerful, One with Nothing showed up in tournament decklists to combat it.
It truly was a very enjoyable standard environment (well, except for Jitte) and I remember it fondly :)

Frankly, Strixhaven was a great draft format but its impact on constructed has been almost nil. Other than Magma Opus, I can't think of any cards from it that really see play.
Strixhaven has actually had a pretty decent impact on eternal formats. Expressive Iteration is one of the top 30 most played spells in both Modern and Legacy right now, and it's the 5th most played spell in Pioneer. Prismari Command is seeing quite a bit of play in modern as well as the U/R Dragons deck in Standard. Sedgemoor Witch has also seen a decent amount of play in Young Pyromancer and Dreadhorde Arcanist decks, although those archetypes aren't really popular enough to push it in to the upper echelons of any eternal format :confused:.

As for standard, Strixhaven will likely have a larger impact once Throne of Eldraine rotates. That set is full of great removal that is currently being overshadowed by the efficiency of Bonecrusher Giant and Brazan Borrower and the irritating card advantage of Emergent Ultimatum. Elite Spellbinder and Blade Historian currently see some play in Winota decks, though :).

I don't think that really detracts from your larger point about Champions of Kamigawa specifically, although Strixhaven was not a great comparison point, it was honestly a pretty great set even by today's standards.

I really don't know if they understand this fundamentally. For years Maro has been pretty annoying whenever met with Kamigawa questions and refusing to acknowledge how shit the mechanics were for the set and how that might have influenced how parts of the playerbase felt. Legendary subtheme wasn't implemented well until Dominaria, the keyword mechanics for the block were mostly awful and didn't play well with the rest of Standard, and to top it off it was sandwiched between two VERY powerful blocks.

Their "official" discourse on Kamigawa as a whole has felt very disingenuous over the years.
I think calling MaRo's answers regarding Kamigawa "disingenuous" is a bit misleading. A lot of people like the Kamigawa block, and have wanted a return despite the "badness" of the last two sets forever. But bad cards aren't the only thing that deters a Magic set from being revisited. After all, Born of the Gods and Journey into Nyx were worse than Betrayers of Kamigawa and arguably even Saviors of Kamigawa, but Theros still got a return only 6 years after the curtains closed on the original block.

Mark's discussion of aspects of the Kamigawa block other than the "shit mechanics" is likely due to the fact that those issues represent a big barrier to world's return. After all, sets like Battle for Zendikar and Ikoria were awful from a mechanical perspective, but both sold extremely well despite the troubles. Kaldheim, while extremely underpowered, also sold really well and was enjoyed by a ton of players. And it's not like these sets weren't around at the same time as other powerful sets, with Battle for Zendikar coming off the heels of Khans block and Ikoria and Kaldheim following up Throne of Eldraine.

Kamigawa, though, sold awfully, despite Champions of Kamigawa actually being pretty decent. The problem was in part that not everyone was able to fall in love with the world. Kamigawa's lore was really cool, but it isn't as accessable as other facets of the multiverse. The heavy Japansese influences weren't super well known to audiences outside of Japan, and that hurt the block in some ways. It wasn't like Kaldheim where almost everything had a fairly direct comparison to the most commonly known Norse mythology tropes, and it wasn't a return to a world already beloved setting like Zendikar. Kamigawa was a wierd world that tried to do it's own thing to stand out, and it just didn't hit the mark with everyone.

I'm not saying the cards in the Kamigawa block being worse than those that surrounded it didn't have a negative impact on sales, but I am saying that Mark mentioning the other barriers to a Kamigawa return is not disingenuous. The handling of the setting turned off a lot of people and that really hurt the chances of a set return for those who love Kamigawa.

Strixhaven has actually had a pretty decent impact on eternal formats. Expressive Iteration is one of the top 30 most played spells in both Modern and Legacy right now, and it's the 5th most played spell in Pioneer. Prismari Command is seeing quite a bit of play in modern as well as the U/R Dragons deck in Standard. Sedgemoor Witch has also seen a decent amount of play in Young Pyromancer and Dreadhorde Arcanist decks, although those archetypes aren't really popular enough to push it in to the upper echelons of any eternal format :confused:.
Dreadhorde Arcanist eating a ban probably helped that deck become less popular haha

Not sure which picture we are talking about, but if we are talking about the picture with the two characters going at it, it’s Mishra to the left and Urza to the right.
1630249008355.png
Well, Mishra also has a right arm made of etherium arm now?

I mean...he never did before...
1630249062324.png

I do fully expect it is Mishra (as clearly advertised) but that metal arm is definitely sticking out to me. I think there has to be some connection here or they wouldn't have done that. The artists can't just paint characters however they want anymore. This was 100% on-purpose.

(By-the-by, I also randomly heard about this https://screenrant.com/magic-gathering-mtg-master-metal-tezzeret-multiverse-comic/ the other day. They are clearly building up his character for the next big arc. And now Phyrexians praetors are showing up one-off on every plane we visit.. Should be fun to see where all of this goes.)

Last edited:
People were throwing hypothesis out there when they speculated about Jin-Gitaxis could be in Strixhaven. But it never showed up. The idea was Jin-Gitaxis on the blue-sounding plane (Arcavios) and Sheoldred on the black-sounding plane (Innistrad). We already had the green Praetor on the green-ish plane (Kaldheim). But it weren’t meant to happen.