Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Okay, the closest thing in my cube that can do that is Collected company, and craking in response to that is some next level shit.
Also I don't think the difference between revoker and pithing needle is enough that I want to make a custom card to correct it

Wait, didn't you make Nullstone Monolith? I have it listed as either you or anotak in my design doc.

Nullstone Monolith, {2}
Artifact
When ~ ETBs, Pithing Needle effect.
{T}: add {1} to your mana pool.

e: also that next level shit thing is why good D&T players will tap Vial at weird times and choose not to put a creature into play. It's all about The Fear.

Wait, didn't you make Nullstone Monolith? I have it listed as either you or anotak in my design doc.

Nullstone Monolith, {2}
Artifact

e: also that next level shit thing is why good D&T players will tap Vial at weird times and choose not to put a creature into play. It's all about The Fear.

so tru. It's fun

Edit: That's a wicked cool mana rock, by the by. Pithing needle isn't really cubable usually, but that for sure would be.

Edit: That's a wicked cool mana rock, by the by. Pithing needle isn't really cubable usually, but that for sure would be.

I've only had it out in one draft but it was amazing. Guessing blind is fun but manageable for the cube designer, and I successfully used it on both fetchlands and planeswalkers. Could've used it against Pod but never drew the thing.

e: if anyone cares i think i'm going with the 'Instants and Sorceries you cast from your hand have Cascade' Izzet Pyrocrat text, it seems right for my environment after the same draft. reminded b/c i like giving closure to stuff we talked about but never settled on.

Chris Taylor

Contributor

Nullstone Monolith, {2}
Artifact

I did, but there's no way to flash it in while disguising what it is. So you can actually crack it in reasponse

Edit: I should actually mention this is Wtwlf's design, originally under the name "Nulling Hearthstone"

I'm glad someone mentioned Heartbeat, let's all marinate in the glory of this deck for a moment:

You'll be hard-pressed to find a more elegant combo deck than that (in Standard no less!)

Omfg that deck was almost as little fun to play against as magnivore or owling mine. Jeeze at least it's less of a jumble than the gifts version though lol!

Take note guys, standard used to be diverse as hell and we may get a little glimmer of that again if the trends leading to stuff like ascendancy tokens and ur ensoul keep showing up. Hell its even nice to see the rally decks though I'm sure after the decks we saw in ravnica and theros that wizards is perfectly comfortable pushing reanimator mid ranged

Talking green five-drops:

Thragtusk is the definition of a bomb, but is it really too strong, even without Pod?
Vorapede seems like a better thing to ramp Info than Leatherback Baloth, as you're a lot more likely to get it out on turn 3/4 than the Baloth on turn 2/3. I dont want to encourage people playing mono green ramp but I know that our ramp decks look like GGGx most of the time.

I like thragtusk more, but then again i didnt play in THAT Standard. Both have cool interactions in attrition/defensive decks. If you see a lot of Gx decks that want two bodies or a stabilizer at 5, id try both unless you dont have the slots. What else do you run at green 5?

So Dom brought this up in reference to flashback cards he's running (where's your list Dom?). Anybody else have any experience with it in cube? It does seem pretty powerful, quite easily triggering prowess twice in the same turn. Seems nutty with any anthem effect, is it fun? Fair?

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Having run both Thragtusk and Restoration Angel in my cube for a while, I'm now convinced that everything was Resto's fault. Thragtusk is a strong play on five, to be sure, but I've seen plenty of aggro decks ignore him and continue swarming around him. Meanwhile, Resto usually comes out of nowhere to eat an attacker, and occasionally gifts you with ridiculous value in the meantime.

Giving green some lifegain in its more expensive midrange creatures is also one of the keys to making the colour more viable, in my opinion.

Having run both Thragtusk and Restoration Angel in my cube for a while, I'm now convinced that everything was Resto's fault.

So if we can only use one to avoid this issue (I'm on team Resto, cause I think it's a bit cooler and versatile. Also I was on the receiving end of thragtusk, never the giving end. It's bonkers even without the resto imo. And yes, I realize this is a Fight Club post)...
v.

Battle Screech seems plenty fun and plenty fair, absolutely. You need at least 1 creature on the board to flash it back and get essentially 4 1/1 fliers. That's great and all but it's not super crazy and it's disruptable. I like it a lot and I'd be running it right now if my white section wasn't stacked with angels.

Vorapede is a good beatstick but is about as much fun as watching paint dry. It never got played when I ran it because we're not really into the Timmy scene here. YMMV

I like thragtusk more, but then again i didnt play in THAT Standard. Both have cool interactions in attrition/defensive decks. If you see a lot of Gx decks that want two bodies or a stabilizer at 5, id try both unless you dont have the slots. What else do you run at green 5?

I actually never played Standard myself. Right now I run:

Plow Under wasn't any fun and I'm not sure if I should cut one of those cards. Then again I'm not playing Restoration Angel as I didn't want to afford it but I guess one copy wouldn't hurt the cube too much. If you're able to pull off Thragtusk -> Resto then I think it's like punishing an opponent who gives you the chance to blink it, and beyond that not as bad as a curve consisting of Galepowder Mage -> Thragtusk into blinking the latter by the former.

I once had Battle Screech in my cube when it was weaker. Often enough, it was just two 1/1 fliers for four.

I love Restoration Angel, it's one of my all time favourite cards. It's so flexible, matches to your power level although it has a pretty reasonable floor as 3/4 flash flying, and I even like the art.

It was nice when you drafted cards like Reclamation Sage, Eternal Witness, Scavenging Ooze or Wall of Blossoms for toolboxing them out of your deck with it. If you didn't it was kinda bad because bringing a mana dork isn't great when you're able to cast the Bellower anyway. In the end, I find it quite rewarding if you draft the aforementioned cards but it rarely justifies the six mana spent to cast it. If it would cost 4 and have 3/4 or 4/3 stats I would find it to be a GREAT card, even a cmc of 5 attached to a 4/5 body would be a lot better if you ask me.

I know this thread is supposed to be about single cards, but... what do you guys think about the Titan cycle in a moderately-strong cube (lower than legacy power level). I was talking about it with a friend of mine, and although I'm personally a big fan of the cycle, he seemed to be under the impression that they warp drafts around them. What do you guys think?

If it must be about a single card, then I'd probably single out Primetime as the strongest...

I know this thread is supposed to be about single cards, but... what do you guys think about the Titan cycle in a moderately-strong cube (lower than legacy power level). I was talking about it with a friend of mine, and although I'm personally a big fan of the cycle, he seemed to be under the impression that they warp drafts around them. What do you guys think?

If it must be about a single card, then I'd probably single out Primetime as the strongest...

I'd put Grave Titan and even Inferno Titan above Primeval. Then Sun Titan and Frost Titan as the weakest.

Maybe I keep my creatures' toughness lower than most, but 3 damage is enough to kill more than 75% of the creatures in my cube. Sometimes you get to kill 2 at once, sometimes you just get to kill your opponent.
Inferno titan is sweet to play but playing against it is pretty miserable I think.