Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Messenger is the shit. If your cube can handle the BBB cost, it's a really fun card and I can't recommend it enough. It supports aggressive strategies, works with devotion, plays nice with crawler. Has abuse potential too. Nothing feels better than casting this and following up with a smallpox or similar effect. Even late game, it's impactful. This plus Gary is -7 them +5 you. The life drain angle is IMO black's most unique feature and a great mechanic to base the colors identity on.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Guys...what kind of support does this dude need...and which art is better

Image.ashx

Image.ashx

To make him awesome, he has to do more than just pitch to force, he needs to be a walking wrath of god.

I think it's right to look at Vintage, for once. There he's a Shops threat, typically killing a thing (JVP, Mentor, Oath's tokens) plus change, or two things. I've heard that "Trike wins games" but tbh I don't actually understand how. Coming out in the early game is probably relevant so he's not unable to kill the thing you need a Wrath to kill in the first place. I think Dread Return and Goblin Welder are pieces of the puzzle, since you can easily put the card in the graveyard sacrifice it at the base 1/1 or something.

Is Deathbringer Thoctar too colour-specific? What about at 4{B/R}{B/R}? There's also Spitting Hydra from Stronghold.

e: forgot about the art: imo go with the older one, but with legible (grey) text. I also forgot about this sweet interaction:

Trike goes with blink more than the +1/+1 counter theme. He turns Galepowder Mage into Inferno Titan. The turn after you cast trike, a momentary blink (w/ flashback) is a 9 point fireball with no extra cost for multiple targets (there's your wrath). It also has just 1 power, so Reveillark recurs it as well as Alesha.

The card is probably a lot better in a powered environment with broken lines of play (tinker, sneak attack, fast reanimator). I have tried welder a few times and I'm too stupid to make that card work so YMMV with that line of play.

I'm testing Duplicant in place of Trike just because I want to try something else (and I'm cutting a lot of what made him abusable).

Laz

Developer
I think it's right to look at Vintage, for once. There he's a Shops threat, typically killing a thing (JVP, Mentor, Oath's tokens) plus change, or two things. I've heard that "Trike wins games" but tbh I don't actually understand how.

How he wins games there is this card:

Sac your board, swing in for 10 or so damage, put all of the counters on Triskelion then ping 10 odd times. So, what I am saying is the fact that he pitches to force is what makes him playable.

I presume that is one angle you could take for porting the card to cube, though I do wonder if Pentavus or Triskelavus offer some more interesting synergies with the tokens. The ability cost might rule them out though.

Apologies if my font is off- I am very new to this website. What do people think about this card in cube? Good? Bad? Broken? Needs multiples?

Image.ashx

Do you think this is a 'build-around' card that players could have fun playing with/against in a cube environment?

Laz

Developer
If I recall, a lot of people were really liking the Tutelage in early testing. I haven't had a chance to try it, but it is on my Radar. I might actually pick up a copy today so I can test it at our cubing session this week.

People here found it to be quite fun in Limited and Casual. I guess it could work in Cube as drawing cards is something you wish for even without a slow finisher that benefits from it but I find it to be somewhat narrow. I'd rather have something else in my 360 (Nephalia Drownyard happens to be in my ULD) as Blue is THE colour of which I'm personally really unable to cut something but that might not apply to others.

I don't say that often, but that's really bad. You need to be at reject rare power level for it to become playable. Biggest turn-off is the triple black, and it's not like devotion wants a 1BBB 1/1 to curve into Gary.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I don't think you would put it in a contemporary cube; however, it saw standard play in its era, and I wouldn't classify it as a reject rare. The original deck generated big mana with heart beat of spring, kodama's reach, and sakura-tribe elder, and its not unreasonable to promote something like that. A wide variety of tutors can find it, all of the value reanimation pieces can hit it, and you can blink it.

If we are already willing to promote heavy black splash X decks for grey merchant, I can't imagine why triple black should be an automatic disqualifier.

Not going to lie, but even 6 mana for a 3/3 drain 3 doesn't sound appealing. Also: how do you blink or reanimate this and get any value? It'll just come back a 0/0?

yeah the reason Maga saw play in context was that you could Weird Harvest at {1}{G}{G} and then Fireball them out mid- or late-game. This is also the standard where Hana Kami / Cranial Extraction recursion meant you played one each of like six finishers so playing nicely with your silver bullet control deck was a real plus.

Don't play it outside of Block Constructed imo

People here found it to be quite fun in Limited and Casual. I guess it could work in Cube as drawing cards is something you wish for even without a slow finisher that benefits from it but I find it to be somewhat narrow. I'd rather have something else in my 360 (Nephalia Drownyard happens to be in my ULD) as Blue is THE colour of which I'm personally really unable to cut something but that might not apply to others.

I was searching for something for R/U to do in the cube that I'm building, and stumbled across the Tutelage. Thought it would be pretty neat with the likes of
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

not to mention various looters. Seemed like a wacky, different take on a storm-like archetype. It helps that Tutelage itself isn't an awful card in a slower-paced cube. It'd probably need to break the singleton rule to work, as it gets pretty majorly build-around. You guys think it has potential?

Drift fetched Early Harvest, Heartbeat of Spring or Invoke the Firemind/Maga for the kill. Other options were Recollect, Compulsive Research and Kodama's Reach. Coolest tutor ever was even a serviceable Wall.