Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Breath of Darigaaz is another fun sweeper in this vein. You'll almost always kick it, but there will be some lulz moments when you don't. It's also 4 face damage for 4 mana in a pinch.

I think it was the sweet red sweeper I was using before Rolling Earthquake became a 3$ card. Do note if each player has a walker, you can redirect the damage to yours and leave yours alive

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
That's been a common misconception since planeswalkers were introduced in 2008ish, but doesn't actually work, if I think I understand what you're suggesting. Only direct damage going to opponents can ever be redirected at their planeswalkers.

Source: http://mtgdocs.info/cr/306.7.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
That's been a common misconception since planeswalkers were introduced in 2008ish, but doesn't actually work, if I think I understand what you're suggesting. Only direct damage going to opponents can ever be redirected at their planeswalkers.

Source: http://mtgdocs.info/cr/306.7.
I'm sorry, but you're wrong. In less technical words: whenever a source you control deals noncombat damage to an opponent, you may redirect all of that damage to a planeswalker that opponent controls.

Found this burly gem in a big box of garbage cards while I was putting together an Evolving Wilds cube for a prospective buyer. I'd never heard of him before, but that buff + his inherent haste seems like a beating. I've never really liked green Overrun effects other than Garruk's ult , because they seem really high-variance, but this one comes with a hasty body attached. He was the perfect fit for a cube where threshold is achievable by T4 pretty easily.

Found this burly gem in a big box of garbage cards while I was putting together an Evolving Wilds cube for a prospective buyer. I'd never heard of him before, but that buff + his inherent haste seems like a beating. I've never really liked green Overrun effects other than Garruk's ult , because they seem really high-variance, but this one comes with a hasty body attached. He was the perfect fit for a cube where threshold is achievable by T4 pretty easily.

I think I've tried him before and he didn't do much, having perennial "twenty-fourth card syndrome", but in a lower power environment I could see him being relevant. I also really like the card. It's nice to have an Overrun that's a lot less swingy, being worse than Overrun when it's good but better when Overrun is worse.

Are any of these trinket sort of artifacts useful upwards of the pauper sort of regime? Looking to help out delirium a lil' with some saccable artifacts, and this seems flexible and neat? In the same vein, do we just think this is just too low power/slow?:

This is a neat one. Reminds me of Baru, Fist of Krosa as another (relatively unknown?) overrun enabler.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor

Are any of these trinket sort of artifacts useful upwards of the pauper sort of regime? Looking to help out delirium a lil' with some saccable artifacts, and this seems flexible and neat? In the same vein, do we just think this is just too low power/slow?:

I run capsule because its an artifact, and has a lot of interesting interactions with other parts of the cube, but otherwise would not run it. Four mana to draw 2 cards isn't a competitive rate for most cubes, and is pretty borderline here. I would not run it if your only reason is because it fuels delirium.

I rather like spellbomb though: cheap, useful effect, and can cycle. You might have some success with that.

That's what my mind was telling me, but my heart was laden with the knowledge of the full art alter of the Capsule up on ebay... time to dig through my boxes to find a spellbomb...

I think artifact lands in the ULD/BLB could help push delirium, as well as more discard outlets, but it's definitely something that will require a conscious environmental nudge to really run effectively, I think. I plan to get into the new set in a few more weeks once I've wrapped my head around it all and have more free time, but that's kind of what I'm pondering on now.

Aoret

Developer
So, instant, sorcery, land (fetch) and creature shouldn't be that hard to achieve, right?
Somebody get Wadds in here to run some stats. I pulled numbers on average drafts from his cube. Conservatively (meaning I'm giving delirium all the help I can), decks in his environment (as of his last cubetutor update) ran 50/50 splits of creatures and spells. Assuming 17 land, that gives you 12 noncreatures and 11 creatures.

What are the odds I have the cards in hand by say, turn three or so, to trigger delirium assuming I drafted an average number of fetchlands (what is this number, 3?) and was a drafting god and split my 12 noncreatures as evenly as possible among all other card types? We probably also want to skew for some percentage of our creatures being enchantments or artifacts, but I haven't checked the averages on those numbers yet.

What do we all think of this little gem? Continuing on my rampage of exploring delirium, it seems like the perfect time to think again about including this:

For me, it'd probably replace bounding krasis, which is a sweet card, but probably a little bit underperforming.