Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Chris Taylor

Contributor

I've tried Addle before since Cabal Therapy doesn't really work at its best in singleton, variable enviornments like cube. Not really like you can see island, name force of will, etc

Does that make it good though? Like whiffing on addle is a shit feeling, but I think it's interesting when you get a choice of Some of the cards in someone's hand, but you might not always get the best of their cards (Where it just becomes thoughtseize)

I sure hope the sheer idea of targeted discard isn't just inherently bad

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I think its fine as long as there are some conditions attached or the mana cost is moved up a bit. I know a lot of people on here like blackmail, for example, and that seems reasonable.

Tidehollow sculler and mesmeric fiend also seems fine in the right environments, and I really like entomber exarch, though that might not be a valid option for everyone. Not sure how that card plays in a higher power environ.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think its fine as long as there are some conditions attached or the mana cost is moved up a bit.
There's not a lot of wiggle room in the mana cost department though. I'm sure most people would agree Distress is a rather miserable include, and three mana seems too much unless there's some significant bonus attached. Maybe Thoughtseize at {1}{B} would be more palatable for you? At least you can deploy your two drop when you've mulliganed on the play before it's ripped from your hand. I think that would be a rather clever uncommon. Obviously strictly inferior to the original, but clearly a lot of people here are looking for something slightly worse than the current best in class, and there isn't much to be had at {1}{B} beyond Collective Brutality (awesome card) and Mesmeric Fiend (okay, I guess). Oh, and Brain Maggot, which is randomly good with delirium, and has a better wording than Fiend (which makes it worse with sacrifice outlets but more intuitive for new players).

Chris Taylor

Contributor
You do get a lot more room for mana costs to be moved around in a slower environment.
Entomber Exarch is a lot better if you aren't expecting your aggro opponent's hand to be empty or close at that point.

Addle is probably fine if you aren't dying when you miss your 2 drop, for eg, etc etc etc

I go the other way because I love hellrider :p

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I think this might be the worst discussion we've ever had on the forum.

Now, after writing reams of text about how thought seize on turn 1 never happens, its best in class because you can run it out on curve in condensed formats.

Than we're talking about running it in condensed formats with good aggro decks, even though anyone that has played modern knows that IOK is preferential in those instances, because the two life loss is really relevent against a deck that wants to drop you turn 4 and has reach. A deck that also wants to drop its hand asap, which means running a singleton targeted discard against it in our 40 against is also questionable in the first place.

Just unbelievable.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Woah woah woah Grillo. Relax! No one said t1 Thoughtseizes don't happen, people were arguing that the t1 Thoughtseize that destroys an opponent who mulliganed doesn't happen enough to warrant not including the card for that reason. That's not the same and you know it. Also, yes it's best in class because it's a powerful one mana discard spell that can be run on curve without disrupting your board development on turn two. When did I give the impression that wasn't what I like about the card?

Then there's your assumption that you run a single discard spell in your 40 to combat aggressive decks. That's not even what Chris is saying. He's saying Entomber Exarch is better in a slower environment, which his format isn't so he wants cheaper options. He never said Thoughtseize is the best option against aggressive decks either, nor that it is the only option he runs.

Really, I was a bit done with the discussion because it wasn't moving, so I thought I'ld post something about how it would be neat if Wizards printed some more decent options higher on the curve for those who want that, i.e. those who have voiced their dislike of Thoughtseize, not me. You know, thinking with you instead of against you, even though we have a different opinion on Thoughtseize. No need to get frustrated :)

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
No one said t1 Thoughtseizes don't happen, people were arguing that the t1 Thoughtseize that destroys an opponent who mulliganed doesn't happen enough to warrant not including the card for that reason.

It does though when the entire conversation was about maximizing variance reduction in the first place.

Look, if that wasn't a conversation you wished to authentically take part in, I would have preferred you not participating, rather than just posting to undermine the validity of having the discussion in the first place, which you finally admit here. It would have been preferable to me if you had least been direct in the matter as Jason was; as whether its even worth it for magic to try to compete with other e-sports, or if it even can, is an interesting topic. You apparently don't seem to feel that achieving that level of variance reduction is a worthwhile effort, which is fine, but let others have that discussion if they wish too.

I'm going to have to take a break from responding to you.

It does though when the entire conversation was about maximizing variance reduction in the first place.

Was it really about that for everyone though? That might be why we all shouted past each other and this felt like a really bad exchange.

I'm not at all convinced that maximizing variance reduction leads to the best version of this game. Didn't the mothership even write an article about how much luck plays a vital role in the appeal and success of the game?

My criticism of Magic still stands. I've watched competitive matches before and if you can see both sides of the table the outcome of the game is often pretty predictable. That's not to say surprises don't happen or bad play won't decide a close match, but games of Magic quickly turn into 20 point leads with 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter. This is especially true in constructed where matchups are lopsided.

And you know what helps with that? More variance. It's a big reason cube is so sweet because singleton automatically increases variance.

One of the interesting things experimenting with my combo list is having really high powered cards in the pool and seeing how a larger power gap in cards can alter the game. Sometimes you toss a few of those broken cards in an otherwise clunky deck and they can win you games. I don't think that sort of meta is the best version of Magic (sticking to the "what would a tight competitive cube look like"), but I also think we tend to go too far in a lot of these hypotheticals. Like low powered cubing is cool and all but just cutting everything that's above curve and forcing people to make Masked Admirers your deck allstar is a really tedious way to play this game. ETB creatures warp your meta. This is true. But genocide on your cube and removing every single ETB creature from it is going to make for some suboptimal game play.

So again, maybe there's some place in the middle of all this? Everything in moderation. Where the best/most competitive version of this game is not hellbent of getting to a chess level of negative variance but instead embracing some of the benefits from the games natural variance and accepting that there can be upsides to it. Back to thoughtseize, I think the card is powerful but also very skill intensive. And I think it can have a positive impact on your meta. While I don't like mass discard (or heinous shit like Mind Twist), single card targeted removal is a really great mechanic in black and I think most cubes should have a healthy amount of it. It keeps super unfair decks honest and it gives black something valuable to bring to the disruptive/aggro archetype.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Was it really about that for everyone though? That might be why we all shouted past each other and this felt like a really bad exchange.

I'm not at all convinced that maximizing variance reduction leads to the best version of this game. Didn't the mothership even write an article about how much luck plays a vital role in the appeal and success of the game?

My criticism of Magic still stands. I've watched competitive matches before and if you can see both sides of the table the outcome of the game is often pretty predictable. That's not to say surprises don't happen or bad play won't decide a close match, but games of Magic quickly turn into 20 point leads with 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter. This is especially true in constructed where matchups are lopsided.

And you know what helps with that? More variance. It's a big reason cube is so sweet because singleton automatically increases variance.

One of the interesting things experimenting with my combo list is having really high powered cards in the pool and seeing how a larger power gap in cards can alter the game. Sometimes you toss a few of those broken cards in an otherwise clunky deck and they can win you games. I don't think that sort of meta is the best version of Magic (sticking to the "what would a tight competitive cube look like"), but I also think we tend to go too far in a lot of these hypotheticals. Like low powered cubing is cool and all but just cutting everything that's above curve and forcing people to make Masked Admirers your deck allstar is a really tedious way to play this game. ETB creatures warp your meta. This is true. But genocide on your cube and removing every single ETB creature from it is going to make for some suboptimal game play.

So again, maybe there's some place in the middle of all this? Everything in moderation. Where the best/most competitive version of this game is not hellbent of getting to a chess level of negative variance but instead embracing some of the benefits from the games natural variance and accepting that there can be upsides to it. Back to thoughtseize, I think the card is powerful but also very skill intensive. And I think it can have a positive impact on your meta. While I don't like mass discard (or heinous shit like Mind Twist), single card targeted removal is a really great mechanic in black and I think most cubes should have a healthy amount of it. It keeps super unfair decks honest and it gives black something valuable to bring to the disruptive/aggro archetype.

Thank you. To put the problem a little bit more into context, and get your input on it, one of the problems with the game is that you can put down a lot of time and money, travel half-way across the world to a tournament, and be eliminated very early by factors that aren't really in your control. This is especially a factor as tournament size grows, and became longer: variance that doesn't effect a small tournament significantly, becomes more impactful the longer the tournament continues--it has more opportunities to manifest itself.

This is a problem with the way that prizes are distributed, and making enough money to be a professional player, because obviously its the top finishes--that are so hard to consistently place--that award the most winnings.

Magic's e-sport scene is really bad compared to other real e-sports, and its extremely hard to make a living off of it exclusively. Top players like Owen Turtenwald end up living at home with their parents, because the pay is so bad. This is bad, because in order for the competitive scene to continue to thrive, and a vibrant competitive scene is a tool to drive sales, you need to be able to attract a continuous pool of young talent.

Now, there are a number of different factors that contribute to this, but one of those is the basic structure of the game itself, which often times finds itself having to serve two masters: casual and competitive--variance and low variance. If I have to dig up the Owen video where he talks about the standard bans from a few months ago I can, but the crux of the issue is that you have simultaneous printings in a standard pool that undermine each of those respective preferences: e.g. reflector mage and woodland wanderer.

Real e-sports are very consistent, and if they aren't (say hearthstone) they at least have the benefit of not requiring the expense and time of RL travel, while also being much easier to cast and watch. To put this in perspective for you, an e-sport that I enjoy watching, Gears of War, has been dominated by Optic Gaming for about a year now. If you have a good enough team in GOW, you can consistently place first at events, which means you can consistently money, which means you can earn 6 figures. Your best players that you want to show off to the world, aren't living at home with mommy and daddy, and if I'm a young player looking for a competitive outlet, GOW or CS or a number other e-sports are much better options than, say, MTG, which is dominated by older players making poor money. This in turn impacts the portion of the youth market that MTG can compete in.

Its about a question of the future of the game, where its going, and if it can compete in this new world. These last standard formats have been particularly frustrating. The repeated bannings, the terrible formats, the creation of their new play design team, you can tell that there is some realization of a disconnect, an understanding that their current system is not working. And the community does itself no favors, a year or so ago the player base (including some of its competitive elements) were so off-kilter that they were advocating for modern being a valid pro tour format.

One thing that we might do is look at some of the successful e-sports, and note that their approach is not to simultaneously appeal to casual players and competitive players--variance and non-variance. They understand the value of both to their brand, and their competitive formats are engineered to reduce variance and encourage teamwork by nerfing the power level of effects across the board. I want to emphasis that this type of format is not intended to appeal to the broad player base, its intended to appeal to a minority of players, and isn't particularly enjoyable outside of that minority. You would probably hate any iteration of a competitive focused format. It wouldn't be based on loud haymakers, sweet, or encourage creativity--it would be repetitive, reliable, and consistent. A lot of the CS maps have been played for over two decades now, and the weapon lineup is essentially unchanged.

To put this in perspective, at high levels of GOW competitive play, the shotgun with its random spread is a source of controversy, and has been the subject of several patches, to make it more predictable. But than GOW is a 6 figure game for its best players, and MTG is a live with your parents game for its best players. What do you expect.

Now, I do want to plant a flag here, and acknowledge that that level of variance reduction is probably not possible in this game, however, some level of core variance reduction has to occur, and it has to occur even if we never reach those heights of player prizes. The critical thing is that the gap be closed by some reasonable percentage. It can occur in conjunction with a number of other tweaks, but it has to occur. Its BS to expect people to put down money and time to travel, play well, and than not money due to factors beyond their control, built into the game's intentional card design.

This hasn't been a focus of R&Ds design, which didn't really have e-sport competition for their target demographic until relatively recently, and their focus for the pro tour (and competitive magic) was essentially a giant toy advertisement, with kids making sums of money that seemed astronomical to them then. Thats entire world is gone or going, and if recent format problems are any indication, R&D is really struggling to adapt. You can't print a card like marvel and tell me you're capable of identifying variance issues, which isn't a huge surprise, because its not really mattered before to them. Similarly, its not really mattered for the player base. Its kind of alarming when we've having this discussion, and we can't even acknowledge the reality that a mechanic that disrupts the mulligan rules we put into effect to address our game's inherient consistency issues at the competitive level, might be a problem. Remember, these are typically marathon tournaments running over 10 rounds, spread across several days. The way you experience variance here is not the same as your three round FNM or kitchen table session.

This is whats frustrating about this, you guys keep on wanting me to compromise on this point for whatever reason, and I really can't, at least not if I'm being remotely honest. We're playing a game of issue spotting, and its critical that we're able to acknowledge this type of mechanic is an issue. This is a hard enough needle to thread as it is, but now we're deliberately giving up easy percentage points.

Thats not say one can't come up with a compelling argument against, but it has to be a compelling argument. It has to be put under some form of strict scrutiny, because consistency is such a high ideal for such a project, possibly the highest: there should be a critical format need, and it shouldn't be possible to be replaced by any other card. Otherwise, we aren't really doing anything here.

If you don't have that specific set of problems (and none of us do in the real world), it doesn't really matter.

For what it matters Grillo, I appreciate your thorough responses. Your focus is on solid issues in the gameplay and while you are well read on the opinions and issues of both the pros and the mothership you don't blindly accept their authority grants them legitimacy for their statements. There's nothing I'm more tired of than hearing people respond to my opinions about how things are not great when to me they're just quacking about how MaRo said this or apologized for that or how some guy on YouTube said so.

I'm glad you're doing the hard thinking and all I have to do is digest it. Because I've long lost my stomach for chewing through gameplay issues. I lost my mind when I saw Thoughtseize was returning with Theros just screaming inside that Wizards clearly never knew how the card's effects warped Standard back in Lorwyn and it definitively proved to me they had no idea what they were doing anymore. The excitement at PAX over the spoiler was disgusting; like people were celebrating the promise of repeated dickpunches.

To deviate from the conversation, I've given up thinking about the state of the game because I think the premier problem is the buy-in to the game. It doesn't matter the state of the gameplay, the reality as I see it is that decks are somewhere on the level of $500 or more and that's just leading to empty stores. Whether or not their card design is trash it takes approximately on average 110 packs to open one vital and specific Mythic rare; 55 packs to open a specific Rare (often a necessary land) and the singles price reflects that rarity to the point where decks are competing in price with XBoxes. There will not be a competitive environment to enjoy when a new generation of would-be players are so dis-incentivized to continue playing the game because they clearly see what it takes to play at the highest level or even at an FNM. It would be acceptable if the metagame was a burning dumpster fire if players had reasonable and affordable access to all the decks in the Standard rotation because then at least FNM isn't struggling to fire.

To expand on the necessity to creating an environment where pros don't have to live out of their parents' home to promote the sense of a worthwhile competitive game, I add that it is equally necessary to keep up a density of players at FNM who have the sense (and as a result other respectable personality traits) to refuse to pay so much for the game because for years I just see those people new and old quit because they see the cost of the game grossly outweighs the utility of game. I don't mean to personally attack Turtenwald, but his situation and decisions to continue with Magic in the face of more worthwhile endeavors if only to have the financial freedom to not have to couch surf to attend events are not the qualities you want highly prevalent in a Magic community. And too often I've been at events myself seeing people frantically trying to hawk cards because they don't have the money to get a bus back home. There have been times I've seen people cram a hotel room well over capacity to afford a trip to events.

For the most part current Magic players will not acknowledge the money barrier in the game because of a "I got mine" mentality or perform whatever mental gymnastics to justify the purchase of outrageously priced cards as an investment or just plainly accuse others for being poor. There's such a prevalent culture of nickel-and-diming every scrap of value out of the game or other players in order to acquire the game pieces to play the game that leads to all the salt and feel-bad stories we all carry in our years of experience in this game. Stores (i.e. play spaces) are struggling against the online marketplaces not to mention big box stores and video game outlets beginning to carry Magic while not having to fulfill the requirements to offer play spaces and Wizards is constantly rocking the boat adding and removing features and promotions and making unscheduled announcements which only makes it harder to retain new players who are already overwhelmed by the scope and history of the game and being reminded of it by established grognards who won't shut up about how much they know or long they've been playing the game.

Both our issues can be resolved in tandem; but neither are being addressed. The Play Design Team announcement is too late and they're throwing money at the problem - money that, in my opinion, they should have sacrificed long ago to ensure the game, community, and secondary market does not reach the point its at. Hasbro annual reports can talk about the growth in Magic revenues all they want, but all I see is an unsustainable and declining FNM environment and broken MTGO client that crashes and doesn't look as good as Hearthstone. They've been a neglectful government who had the power to regulate supply but didn't, which is evidenced by their ridiculous design of Masters sets.

Don't let me deviate from the conversation you're having. I'm just ranting in solidarity and for a love of a game that's been neglected. I'm just going to slink back into the shadows.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

Look, if that wasn't a conversation you wished to authentically take part in, I would have preferred you not participating, rather than just posting to undermine the validity of having the discussion in the first place, which you finally admit here. It would have been preferable to me if you had least been direct in the matter as Jason was; as whether its even worth it for magic to try to compete with other e-sports, or if it even can, is an interesting topic. You apparently don't seem to feel that achieving that level of variance reduction is a worthwhile effort, which is fine, but let others have that discussion if they wish too.

I'm going to have to take a break from responding to you.

Grillo, I love your posts, but it hurts and offends me how easily you are dismissing the time and thoughts I put into my own posts here. I thought I was pretty clear, but judging from your first sentence we were arguing from different vantage points after all. The entire conversation may have been about maximizing variance reduction for you, but it wasn't for me. The original question that started this whole discussion was "what would a competitive cube look like?", which then evolved into "should Thoughtseize be part of a competitive cube?" You argued no because you're convinced a competitive cube maximizes variance reduction. I argued yes because of reasons plainly stated in multiple of my (and others!) posts.

If you want to have a discussion on whether maximizing variance reduction is worth it, well, you know my opinion. I'll just withdraw from this thread for a while to avoid drawing more of your ire.

The weird thing is this never felt like a bad exchange to me until Grillo's last post, but yeah...

And once again I find myself agreeing with your post. Maybe you said it better than I can, I'm at least glad you got a like from Grillo, apparently you did manage to find words to illuminate what I thought was our side of the argument.

Signing off...

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I think we all have our own tolerance for variance. On the Hearthstone subreddit, I often see people bemoaning my favorite cards (Discover effects, random card generation). These are the cards that often make watching a stream (or better, playing the game) so enticing, because they create memorable fun moments that, in my opinion, far outweigh the negative of losing to them (from a net fun perspective).

In terms of esports, maybe the most useful analog for Magic would be to look at Poker. Their broadcasts that caused such a boom in the sport (the World Series of Poker ESPN broadcasts) we not live casts at all. They were heavily edited, super condensed, dramatized versions of the game. I've tried watching Poker live. It's a slog. Tournament poker takes forever. Even once they get to the final table, it can be another half a day before it reaches its conclusion. Some of the hands are interesting, but broadcasts will hand pick 1 our of 10-20 hands to highlight.

Any effort spent on improving the state of Magic eSports is, in my opinion, kind of a lost effort. It needs to exist for the PTQ'ers and even FNM'ers to have something to aspire to, but it's never going to be very watchable. Not to mention, the high variance means very little stability in terms of tournament Top 8s. It's not like in other eSports where it's super hype if a fresh face rises in the ranks.

Fundamentally, Magic's inherant variance caps the winrate for even the best players around 70%. For other games, that cap is 100%. With respect to something like banning Thoughtseize or whatever, I am sure you can push that 70% mark a couple tenths of a percent in either direction, but it's always going to be outweighed in magnitude by the random shuffling of cards.

This discourse is wild.

My take on this is that a competitive environment, things like Thoughtseize need to be contained because Wizards themselves has lots of empirical data that cards like this harm competitive formats (namely Standard. See also Marvel)

I think cards need to not only be picked thoughtfully based on reducing negative variance but also increasing positive variance. By this I mean cards, mechanics, and mechanisms that help people that are behind stabilize and powerful specific effects that can help swing matches. This can help with matchups feeling like they are on rails, and increases the amount of skill required in a greater number of matchups.

I think the currently spotlit poster child of that is Cycling. It helps with land screw and flood, it helps provide key answers to specific things (artifact removal for example), and allows for critical decision making throughout the game.

The way I see it, a competitive cube needs to be
-Decision dense
-highly interactive
-flatter power level

I think the hope here is to create an environment that is hard to solve, skill-rewarding to play, and has a high level of replayability.

And I think the problem with Thoughtsieze and it's direct brethren is it can add negative variance (taking skill out of cretain gamestates), and harm other overall structures of the cube makeup, like stealing away powerful "sideboard tools" used to give outs to matchup variance. Lets say Reclamation Sage brought in against a deck that's been abusing Whip of Erebos to outrace a G/x deck or whatever. Basically I see other mechanisms in black being better for a competitive cube. Cards like collective brutality, Scrapheap scrouger, and Darkblast. Thoughtsieze here just potentially negates the intelligent sbing, and keeps deck A above deck B without promoting interactivity (negative not positive variance amplification). That's my take in this topic of a competitive cube environment.

For instance, I think Wrath of God is a good example of what I'm talking about. It provides control a critical mechanism to stabilize against aggro, but Aggro can work around and keep the pressure on with careful use of sequencing, and use of recursion to provide reach (like Scrounger). There becomes a highly interactive bluffing game of when to cast the wrath, and how careful to be with sequencing etc. Thoughtsieze can just strip the wrath away and take out the need to apply this skilled interaction. For this same reason the cube probably shouldn't run Fumigate either, because it can unilaterally bump control ahead without much choice from the aggro player. See also Sphinx's Rev.

I think people are just hung up on discard being "unfun" and associating that with "unfair". You are a control deck and get hit with T1 Thoughseize. You have a mana rock, wrath and a planeswalker. What do they take? Why is that not a skill intensive interaction?

I understand the argument about mulligans. You keep 6 cards and have to make a critical play T2 or you have nothing for 4 turns. Thoughtseize probably puts you really far behind outside a good top deck. OK. But how is that different than mul to 6 with an elf that is vital for you to play anything in your hand. Bolt and you have no play for 4 turns. Why is that not equally bad? In both cases, you were helpless and unable to make any other decision against what your opponent did. That's negative variance right? Or are we using different definitions and not talking about the same thing?

I think we all have our own tolerance for variance. On the Hearthstone subreddit, I often see people bemoaning my favorite cards (Discover effects, random card generation). These are the cards that often make watching a stream (or better, playing the game) so enticing, because they create memorable fun moments that, in my opinion, far outweigh the negative of losing to them (from a net fun perspective).

Fundamentally, Magic's inherant variance caps the winrate for even the best players around 70%. For other games, that cap is 100%. With respect to something like banning Thoughtseize or whatever, I am sure you can push that 70% mark a couple tenths of a percent in either direction, but it's always going to be outweighed in magnitude by the random shuffling of cards.

This is what I'm saying. Our theoretical best competitive version of cube is going to have a balance between many elements including variance (you can't get rid of that even if you wanted to). And I don't think you want to anyway because one of the things that would encourage spikes to play is the idea that they could "solve for" or "beat" the meta by prioritizing cards they felt were better or gave an unfair advantage. And a lot of that would be illusion, or even better than that, it would cause the meta to evolve and make good cards less good and vice versa. I really think thoughtseize is a card that encourages this sort of dynamic and thinking, provides interesting gameplay that isn't broken, and offers a unique line of attack for aggressive decks which brings variety. And even if the card is a little OP for 1 mana, there's only one God damn copy of it in the cube. This is one scenario where comparing cube and constructed is IMO super misleading. The banable nature of a card in standard has next to no bearing on what a single copy of that card in a 500+ card cube will do.

If we were having this argument over Hymn to Tourach, I'd be a lot less dismissive. And even with that card, you need BB to play it which is forcing you into a large commitment to one color (at least if you want to play it on curve). Hymn is extremely damaging played early. It's good late, but not necessarily broken since it's easier to counter and is less likely to mana screw someone (card is obviously still insane though). I don't think Hymn is a super healthy card if "most competitive" is what you are going for, but I think the card has some merits (certainly more than Mind Twist) and I don't think a single copy of it could warp your meta. You could run it and have a variance level that was fundamentally the same as a cube without hymn. This only really becomes a problem when you hit a critical mass of cards like this. Even in a theoretical environment, you would likely have a lot of pros saying hymn was a trap since there wasn't enough support for it to justify that level of commitment to black.

Look at Vintage cube. That's only really degenerate because the number of degenerate cards is so high that you can always assemble something that revolves around those cards (and it helps that signets are handed out like candy so you can just ramp your way to silliness). A good example of the critical mass idea is with something like reanimator. If you don't provide a critical mass of effects - say reanimation cards - the archetype is literally unplayable. Provide too many and you can assemble it in your sleep and it likely is the best (or one of the best) decks at the table every draft (Recurring Nightmare + too much ETB value became this for me years ago). So it's effect on the meta is entirely based on support level. A single copy of Thoughtseize with no other disruption cards like it is actually going to be pretty weak since you can't build any sort of strategy around it. That's not to say some decks can't use cards like Duress interchangeably with counters or whatever. So they have some playability, but only as filler. Not as a central mechanic in a deck list. And that alone drops the power level of cards substantially. To take the example in an extreme direction to illustrate... say Wrath of God was literally the only white card in your entire cube. It's a powerful card in a vacuum, but how much less playable is it now that you'd need to warp your mana based to get WW and literally have only this one card to play in any theoretical deck? Do you warp your Boros aggro deck to be able to play Hymn to Tourach just because you got passed that?

Mazirek looks like a pretty low payoff to me with some abysmal starting stats for the cost and mana requirements. Are you specifically into the sacrifice trigger? Or are you just looking for a Golgari build around type card of a lower power level? I agree Meren is broken. I love the design, but it's just too good.

A card that has a similar feel for what you posted is Vulturous Zombie. That is a legitimate threat if coupled with discard and/or if you can protect it for a turn while it grows to a silly size (and it's a plant zombie, I mean come on). It's a card I'm always tempted to try and run but never can quite pull the trigger on including it. I think the card would be good in a lower powered meta though and be fun to build around.