Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Also in the ring: hazoret?

Hazoret only excels in super aggressive or strange control builds. She's an engine in of herself, but she requires the right deck. I think she might be better than Hellrider, though I have not tested either card with enough depth to make an accurate distinction between the two.

Frankly, it's strange FTK is even in this discussion. I still can't believe it was printed as an uncommon!

Why is it strange? Sometimes, cards just do more work in formats for which they were not designed. Flametongue Kavu looks a lot better killing Dark Confidants over Fleetfoot Panthers. Killing either gives you an advantage over your opponent, but one of them is clearly better than the other.

Take a look at modern. There's a ton of janky cards that have been format-defining at times. Drowner of Hope was once a format-defining finisher. Hollow One is still the core of a deck. Ad Nauseam... exists for some reason. My point is, it's not really strange for a somewhat innocuous card to be way better in practice than it looks on paper.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Take a look at modern. There's a ton of janky cards that have been format-defining at times. Drowner of Hope was once a format-defining finisher. Hollow One is still the core of a deck. Ad Nauseam... exists for some reason. My point is, it's not really strange for a somewhat innocuous card to be way better in practice than it looks on paper.
All of those cards are rares. My point was Flametongue Kavu comes from an era of Magic where creatures were considerably lower in power than they are nowadays. What surprises me is that it took them ~13 years to print a red four drop (Hellrider) that could contest FTK, and only arguably. I don't think it's better. Though it certainly has a higher ceiling, it requires a certain deck, and is less good in a vacuum. That almost wouldn't surprise me, if it weren't for the fact that FTK is an uncommon!

I've been looking for White and Red lands to fill cycles so I've been thinking about the following. What do you guys think?

So far I'm tempted to just not complete the cycle but I might change my mind.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Kor haven doesn't really scream fun interactive magic.

Also don't fill cycles just to fill cycles. If there's only bad or mediocre options for a specific pattern only you're gonna notice, just run something else. Just because you run, say, Cryptic Command, Profane Command and Primal Command (All fine cards) doesn't mean you should run Incendiary Command if it's not a good fit for your environment.
Even if your one color nonbasics don't share a word in the name like above, the principal is the same

Random assortment of utility lands doesn't really scream out as a cycle to me. If anything, I'd be looking for the other artifact lands if I saw the red one because that card implies a cycle.

What do you guys think of this?

It's a very intriguing card! But I'm not sure of what kind of decks want it, what it needs to shine or how much support it needs.

Since you can't get rid of it, I think it's super narrow. I don't think I've ever seen a constructed deck run it, so I doubt it would be useful in most draft decks. It's a cool card, but not very useful in my eyes!

Honestly, seems like too many hoops to jump through if you can't reasonably get rid of it. I really like the new 1R Cycling enchantment from MH1 if you're looking for that kind of effect where you turn dead cards into gas.

I wouldn't play Aggressive Mining. I can only see it being useful with the following effects.

1. In conjunction with a lot of Sakura-Tribe Scout effects to get around not being able to play lands.

2. In conjunction with a lot of artifact mana or mana creatures so that you don't need the lands.

3. In conjunction with lands that produce a lot of mana like Tolarian Academy.

None of these scenarios seem compelling to me. Experimental Frenzy seems like a better version of this effect (and at the same mana cost too!). It also really bothers me that you can't go off with Aggressive Mining by floating all of your mana, sacrificing all of your lands, and playing Splendid Reclamation. I agree with Shamizy in that I would rather play Tectonic Reformation. We've got a nice package now between Reformation, Seismic Assault, and Molten Vortex.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Has anybody played?

How's it been?
Yeah, I added it after Cultic Cube's glowing recommendation, and I think the player who picked it up during the last draft fell in love with it :D It was really awesome and fun to play with, without being overbearing. The board states in his games that went long were pretty epic ;) He won one of his games by copying both Blood Artist and Zulaport Cutthroat :')

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The art is sweet :) I remember playing with it in a casual deck, back in the day, and it was pretty solid. That was a long time ago though, no idea how it would play out in a modern cube environment, but it does trigger some nostalgia in me ;)

So lets have it..

How many bears do you see in the art? Maybe that game was only fun fifteen years ago..

Also I love Mirari as a set logo. I wish I could include a card from Odyssey.

Anyone have experience with the WAR Taimyo?

I completely passed over this card when I saw the 'multiples' text, but I've been surprised by how well it's played for me in its native draft environment.
On the downside it has that 'one or more' text that's out of place in (most) cubes, but on the upside it can frequently be a double regrowth for 4 that feeds your graveyard, like an unrestricted Bond of Insight over multiple turns that can scale up and shuts off edicts for some reason. (Plus, it fits my proliferate and graveyard themes, both of which overlap in UG).

Or maybe this is just a big do-nothing durdle engine.

I think it would be less of a durdle engine if blue green in the cube you'd run it in has both top of the library manipulation (like brainstorm and lots of scrying) together with some kind of self milling, so that you get more value out of both of Tamiyo's abilities