Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

I’ll also add that courier causes some minor game-warping tension that’s fun. As the aggressor you have incentive to be more frivolous with your removal spells to clear the way for more courier triggers, but there’s always the threat of over-committing and it dying to removal. And defensively, times where you wouldn’t normally care about taking one damage a turn suddenly become more urgent and alters your decision-making.

Then there’s fun things like timing removal to force courier’s controller into a hard decision as to whether to discard their un-empty hand and sacrifice it netting fresh cards or to let it die. It really is a pretty interesting, dynamic, and balanced card

Hello guys/girls,

Long time lurker of this great forum and finally took the effort to contribute. You are looking for protection against self-mill which is not only self-mill protection. Your cube is quite high powered but maybe this oldy when big creatures had to have a drawback:

It seems that it is big enough to even beat up most of your other creatures in combat.

Ah, those old days. Beating each other up with bad creatures even although the spells were that much stronger. In those days most cards had a weakness/drawback instead of only upside. Even so, non-creature and non-accidental combo mostly existed in the realm of constructed. Even Yawgmoth's will is not that strong in urza block cube.

I hyped Gurzi quite a bit and he became a meme in my playgroup even before testing. Then yesterday, the durdliest player of my group (he loves 3 hour rounds where at least one player decks himself), abused him in his dredge deck. And boy was he good. The guy emptied his entire deck and always put back what he wanted to redraw. He casted Spider Spawning 5 times - without flashback!

It was super fun for all 6 people (we're living in one household, so meeting is no problem to corona). We played 5 rounds and the dredge player only went 2:3 in the end. Gurzigost hit exactly the sweet spot of being strong enough to excite but not being oppressive or outclassing anything a well build deck would be able to do.

I now want see him as curvetopper in a gruul agro madness deck. 6 to the face is pretty good reach for a green card.

This has been mentioned here around 60 pages ago. Has anyone collected any data on the card since then? Is it too powerful/fair/garbage?

Conqueror's Flail is fine, but I'd rather my Vulshok Morningstar always give a consistent power/toughness boost and not hose control. It's a good card, but I think it's ability suite can create a lot of negative variance which has an adverse effect on gameplay. Unless control is dominating your meta and aggro needs another check for it, I'd steer clear.

A pity they designed Flail that way. The art on it is awesome, as for me. I wish I could have the artwork of Conqueror's Flail and CMC and text of, say, Bloodforged Battle-Axe on the same card. But I'm not very fond of customs.
EDIT: It was too tempting to resist. Maybe, I'll even run it as some sort of altered version of the Axe.
Conquerors Flail.jpgConquerors flail token.jpg

Here's another one.

Is this any viable at "Legacy" power level (I know my cube is called "Modern", but I assume it's power band to be located closer to a Legacy cube)?

Biogenic Ooze is really good. I play it in my multiplayer cube and there it is a must answer or it risks taking over the game. However, the speed at which it wins is reasonable and even if you make a token before they answer the game isn't over. Leave it unchecked for too long though, that's on you :p

What I like is that he doesn't force you to overcommit. Once he is in play, you can sit back and force the opponent to make a move. He also has bonus +1/+1 counters synergies if that matters to you.

His downside is that he isn't as efficient of a token card as say Deep Forest Hermit and he isn't as synergistic/beefy as Verdurous Gearhulk (artifacts and counters). But if you are tight on space, he fills multiple roles decently.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm posting the third card in a row. Am I not breaking any rules? :)
Let me see... The forum rules are a bit dusty, but... Ah, here it is! Section 34, point 2. "Thou shalt not post thrice in a row."

Uh oh...

"First time offenders shall incur a stern warning. Repeat offenders shall be temporarily banished to the aether!"

Oof, I think you're good, but don't let it happen again! :p

Terminus, in general, seems better at combating midrange value decks, especially those with a lot of graveyard interaction, than at combating aggro decks. You might get lucky and topdeck it on the turn you need it, but 6 mana is a lot against weenies. So, really, it depends on what decks you want your wraths to be effective against. If your control decks need them to have a chance against aggro, Terminus is probably not the best pick. If you want control to have game against midrange, it might actually be a great pick. Apart from the baseline, you can greatly increase its effectiveness by running a lot of Brainstorm effects. This will make the card a lot more reliable against aggro decks as well, because you're casting it for its miracle cost more often.

I'm posting the third card in a row. Am I not breaking any rules? :)

Do you have to cube 6 Brainstorms to make this a thing?

The first rule of Riptide Lab is: You do not talk about Riptide Lab. The second rule of Riptide Lab is: You do not talk about Riptide Lab. Third rule of Riptide Lab: Someone yells "Tempo!", goes on a tangent, taps out, the discussion is over. Fourth rule: Only two to three cards to a fight.

The first rule of Riptide Lab is: You do not talk about Riptide Lab. The second rule of Riptide Lab is: You do not talk about Riptide Lab. Third rule of Riptide Lab: Someone yells "Tempo!", goes on a tangent, taps out, the discussion is over. Fourth rule: Only two to three cards to a fight.

Let me see... The forum rules are a bit dusty, but... Ah, here it is! Section 34, point 2. "Thou shalt not post thrice in a row."

Uh oh...

"First time offenders shall incur a stern warning. Repeat offenders shall be temporarily banished to the aether!"

Oof, I think you're good, but don't let it happen again! :p

Terminus, in general, seems better at combating midrange value decks, especially those with a lot of graveyard interaction, than at combating aggro decks. You might get lucky and topdeck it on the turn you need it, but 6 mana is a lot against weenies. So, really, it depends on what decks you want your wraths to be effective against. If your control decks need them to have a chance against aggro, Terminus is probably not the best pick. If you want control to have game against midrange, it might actually be a great pick. Apart from the baseline, you can greatly increase its effectiveness by running a lot of Brainstorm effects. This will make the card a lot more reliable against aggro decks as well, because you're casting it for its miracle cost more often.

You guys are the two best legal advisors I've ever seen)
As for the wraths, I guess, my priority is to give control more chances against GY aggro. When I made this post I actually regretted not doing it in the "Fight Club", since my next question would be "Is Terminus better then Hallowed Burial?", but Onderzeebot pretty much Serum Visions'ed my intentions. Burial stays.

One thing I didn't love about running Miracles in my cube was a lot of my players would draw the card into their hand, and pause a decent amount of time before casting via Miracle. Not that we don't trust anyone in our group, but It added one thin layer of unnecessary annoyance/complexity that didn't feel productive.

Chris Taylor

Contributor