Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

A bit boring. The ETB is quite strong if you hit it on curve after a 1 drop. I feel like this card is also fairly good later in the game when aggro is almost out of gas if aggro has a flier or another evasion creature.

Has anyone given it some thoughts?

This card is total beating in m21 limited if you can curve it into a 1-drop. Even when not it is always solid, but in cube with a high density of 1-drops, I have a hard time imagening a meta where this wouldn't be super playable.

I wrote a big thing about equipment which talks a bit about these two old gems...

...and I was wondering if any of you have been playing them recently. I don't have enough artifacts to make them work enough to be satisfactory for my power level, but I think they're super cool.

Likely tossing them into a Jumpstart alongside Gearsmith Prodigy soon. I really like how Homunculus is an artifact 2/2 for W. Very sweet.

i used to run homunculus in a peasant cube and he functioned quite nicely for what he was. just a cute simple little good card if your environment is right for him.

I just want to say that I personally don’t think Kaladesh is old :p

There has been three major card frames and Kaladesh is part of the one we still have. Magic is 27 years old and Kaladesh is 4.

It is also one of the newer sets in the Pioneer format :p

There I said it, now I feel old!

More of a double card spotlight for this one

Are these two together enough to form the basis for an "X cost matters" theme? How many X costs do you think you would need to make them proper build arounds?

I just have a dream of curving them into each other and then dropping Sphinx's Rev for 12 on turn 6. Or getting any two green creatures from my deck with Green Sun's Zenith. Or or or.....

More of a double card spotlight for this one

Are these two together enough to form the basis for an "X cost matters" theme? How many X costs do you think you would need to make them proper build arounds?

I just have a dream of curving them into each other and then dropping Sphinx's Rev for 12 on turn 6. Or getting any two green creatures from my deck with Green Sun's Zenith. Or or or.....

We had a good recent discussion about it here, I've been testing Rosheen with cards like Genesis Hydra. Still not quite sure, I have a deck I have tested, but I haven't been able to see it yet with people. My Cube is small, but in a 360 cube I think close to twenty is probably good enough to try. I'm currently being generous because Iconic Masters' version of the archetype rarely if ever showed up. That is a lot, but probably most of those will be in green, colorless, and red with a few sprinkled around the other colors.

Thank you, I was sure I'd seen someone talking about it but I couldn't find the thread.

Unbound Flourishing with the finales seems pretty nuts, it's much easier to trigger the 10+ effect. Might be worth looking into... (Edit: just realised this doesn't work, I was thinking it doubles X on Instants and Sorceries too for a second)

i think this archetype still requires breaking singleton if you don’t want to severely warp your format around it.
is my favorite candidate for that, as you can cast it for X=0 and still have a very serviceable removal spell in your midrange deck.
A battlecruiser/ROE style cube could also probably accommodate this archetype much easier than a typical Riptide cube.

Chord is really good.
Elspeth is... OK i guess. The combination of abilities never really interested me but i only think about PWs in terms of super high power environments.

This is a powerful card and the graveyard reshuffle effect is very interesting and good. However, I'm not sure of what decks are the best to use it, storm aside. Thoughts?

It's good in like turbo-ramp decks where you can empty your hand quickly to generate mana, and then use this to reload whilst your opponent only gets 1-2 extra cards out of it. Also any deck that can make lands generate more than one mana can often find a way to use it.

What can you tell me about this card?

She's perfectly average. I don't know if you're actually going to spend much time utilizing the token aspect of it; it reads like a card you just ultimate ASAP to get the most out of. Gameplay patterns aren't all that interesting and I'm not sure which deck actually wants her. I think all three of the other Elspeth cards are much more attractive options.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
She's perfectly average. I don't know if you're actually going to spend much time utilizing the token aspect of it; it reads like a card you just ultimate ASAP to get the most out of. Gameplay patterns aren't all that interesting and I'm not sure which deck actually wants her. I think all three of the other Elspeth cards are much more attractive options.

I never liked Token spam, especially repeatable token spam. This card isn't the strongest, but in my experience it never created interesting board state.