Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

I've found the Lancers to be decent. It's rare for white to gain card advantage and this guy delivers. It's better than drawing a card since you tutor and the stats are actually decent. Plus he has the right types for some tribal decks.

Sagas, Planeswalkers, random legendary creatures or permanents, it's not hard to have a few targets even without a historic theme.

I've found the Lancers to be decent. It's rare for white to gain card advantage and this guy delivers. It's better than drawing a card since you tutor and the stats are actually decent. Plus he has the right types for some tribal decks.

Sagas, Planeswalkers, random legendary creatures or permanents, it's not hard to have a few targets even without a historic theme.

It does not ‘taget’ Sagas sadly.
Only legendaries which are all planeswalkers, all normal legendary permanents and the five legendary sorceries from Dominaria.

For my cube that includes:
[card]
Miren, the Moaning Well
Paliano, the High City
Kher Keep
Geier Reach Sanitarium
Inventors’ Fair
[/card]
And i’m running Historic Matters payoffs in a few colors... I need to find space for the Lancers.

Chris Taylor

Contributor

Lancers can't actually find sagas can it? They're historic not legendary

I think that’s correct.

Has anyone tried this card? I really like her as a pivot for my Historic Matters theme and the broader Weenie archetype in White, but I haven’t seen her in a lot of lists.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I like Taranika! It's neat hidden support for +1/+1 counters (possibly its function in Chris' Cube now that I think about it?)

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I like Taranika! It's neat hidden support for +1/+1 counters (possibly its function in Chris' Cube now that I think about it?)

Chris Taylor

Contributor

You are correct sir. Nothing better than turning a graft creature or such-like into a 4/4.
Even if you're not doing that she's a pile of stats. It might be a bit strong in the creature mirror, but I haven't enough data to comment.
Plus she still kind of dies to everything and does have to attack herself, so it's not overpowered
Somebody doesn’t read the thread before commenting :p
I prefer the take that we're just great minds thinking alike.

Despite being wonky and from Tempest, the follow is ~bulk and NOT on the Reserved List:

I have played with this a few times at moderate-power peasant, and I *love* it. It was added to fit a similar role that Reassembling Skeleton might fit: aristocrats and graveyard synergy overlap for slower decks (aka decks that wouldn't want the 2/1s that are similar to Reassembling). BUT! instead of another creature from the graveyard, it is removal from the graveyard (if the cube's card population leads to tapping low-to-out of mana in the average turn cycle). In some cases, it can be double removal (hold priority and activate it twice when opponent cannot pay). Could it be triple removal?! Yes.

And don't forget, this attacks for 1. .. ... which means it can hold equipment!

I know a lot of Riptiders have explored the spaces where Carrionette could tread; have any of y'all tried it?

I have played since before Standard became a format and I have never seen this card before!

Okay I probably have because I remember the art with Gerard... But what a gem! <3 I can’t believe it can exile two creatures in the super late game! Thank you Chris.

I happened to see that this is quite a card in Constructed today, but how good is it in cube? My mind says “pretty narrow” but my heart won’t listen! i love flashy stuff!

I happened to see that this is quite a card in Constructed today, but how good is it in cube? My mind says “pretty narrow” but my heart won’t listen! i love flashy stuff!

Likely depends on that cube. I'd be worried that a deck prepared to take advantage of it would get very far ahead very quickly. It's probably more universally useful, but less interesting, to run a double ramper at 3G.