Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

I just wanted to toss up the three other colorless three-drops that fetch you lands for comparison. :)

Land. Not lands :)
The reason why I thought the spotlight was cool was because it searched for double amount. And I thought it was for 2 + 2 mana.

Anyways let’s move on since I misread the card.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Bob Ross is cool and the artwork looks awesome, but if they keep printing their secrets lair cards in that ugly as hell rare frame I am never going to purchase one card.

I'd recommend not buying cards directly from wotc under any circumstances, but that's my radical communist brain talking. Proxy everything.

On that note: why not have 40 bob ross evolving wilds printed for you by the good people over at MPC autofill :D
There's also other options:
thumbnail

When I look at nonblack cards, that one always appeals to me. So does Urban Evolution. Both seem like a cool way to reload and continue ramping at the same time. That said, I've played neither.

Haven't played with it, but I have played Urban Evolution for quite a while, and that card performs admirably, so I expect escape to perform similarly.

I'd recommend not buying cards directly from wotc under any circumstances, but that's my radical communist brain talking. Proxy everything.

On that note: why not have 40 bob ross evolving wilds printed for you by the good people over at MPC autofill :D
There's also other options:
thumbnail
Is there something like this but for full art? Because my only complaint about the Bob Ross lair was that I couldn't get them full art, otherwise I'd have swapped out my coveted OG Zendikar Japanese foil Veronique Meignaud lovefest.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Is there something like this but for full art? Because my only complaint about the Bob Ross lair was that I couldn't get them full art, otherwise I'd have swapped out my coveted OG Zendikar Japanese foil Veronique Meignaud lovefest.

thumbnail

This work?

Sadly you are kinda bound by what people make. It's certainly beyond my skillset to make 1220 DPI proxies in photoshop
But hey go to the website, type in your cardname and get to looking. There's 41 options for evolving wilds, and one kind redditor does have high (enough) quality scans of any existing printing, so there's almost always something

Dom Harvey

Contributor
This one could easily go in the Equipment Matters, Boros Aggro etc threads but:

I'm surprised by how little discussion this card has had given how keen we are to explore those themes and the lack of marquee Boros cards for aggro decks beyond stuff like Figure of Destiny. Does anyone have experience playing with it?

This one could easily go in the Equipment Matters, Boros Aggro etc threads but:

I'm surprised by how little discussion this card has had given how keen we are to explore those themes and the lack of marquee Boros cards for aggro decks beyond stuff like Figure of Destiny. Does anyone have experience playing with it?

If I would have been playing MTG and/or updating my cube since god-knows-when, that card would be a sure thing for me. Perfect signpost for a RW equipment agro deck!

The Vindicator is kinda risky, because it dies to everything before you pump it (other than 1/1s, I guess). On the other hand, even something as simple as tossing a +1/+1 counter on it will make it a legitimate threat. And let's not even talk about giving it Deathtouch...

Hmm...

So, I went and tested the game-busting Lin Sivvi errated to humans and...it's solid but not broken at all? In fact, it has been surprisingly fair and quite fun.

Lin is a card-advantage engine for White decks. This is interesting because there are not a lot of options in that area. It threads similar ground to planeswalkers, Bygone Bishop and draw spells like Coercive Portal, Phyrexian Arena and Herald's Horn. Some thoughts:

1) Lin Sivvi is a net tempo loss: She does nothing on ETB and cannot attack. Sneaking her in without losing valuable damange is an interesting choice.
2) Lin Sivvy allows for small "combo plays" like getting a beater and then getting Barrin to get rid of a blocker. This is a lot of fun and rewards good play.
3) She gives a card-advantage engine to White decks.White has a problem with card draw, so this is very welcome.
4) She's mana-intensive and has no protection on her own. As a creature she's easier to kill than a Planeswalker, Artifact or Enchantment

Something interesting about Lin Sivvi is that she makes midrange more viable. Normally White decks aren't great at midrange and archetypes like UW are either full control or tempo.

In my testing, the most dangerous card in the Humans deck was not Lin Sivvi but this:

Why? It's very similar with the difference that the Blade gives you damage, cannot be easily removed and costs a meager 1 mana to use.

So yeah, it's going in my cube. Fun card, hope to build around it more :)

If you support equipment/auras, +1/+1 counters and/or heroic, this looks like an auto-include.
Still, you should ask yourself what you want from the card in your specific environment. If you only like it because it has double strike and trample (being aggro ofc) I'd rather go with Fencing Ace, as it doesn't require two different colours and is therefore a card for a wider array of decks.
However, if your environment is pretty fast/has a lot of early interaction, not only the additional trample but also vigilance can be a HUGE help, justifying the additional colour requirement.

EDIT: @ Swiftblade Vindicator

The Vindicator is kinda risky, because it dies to everything before you pump it (other than 1/1s, I guess). On the other hand, even something as simple as tossing a +1/+1 counter on it will make it a legitimate threat. And let's not even talk about giving it Deathtouch...

Hmm...

RW "double strike" is a pretty well developed archetype/idea, and the three cards you mention are generally highly regarded in the discussions on it. Vindicator being a 1/1 is really not overly concerning in the flow of the archetype. There are ample power/toughness boosting efects that it's really only a 1/1 for so long. And it is only two mana, so it's not like you are losing a major investment if it gets flame jabbed or somehting.

Fencing Ace is usually supplanted by

And at three mana you open right up:

etc, etc

RW "double strike" is a pretty well developed archetype/idea, and the three cards you mention are generally highly regarded in the discussions on it. Vindicator being a 1/1 is really not overly concerning in the flow of the archetype. There are ample power/toughness boosting efects that it's really only a 1/1 for so long. And it is only two mana, so it's not like you are losing a major investment if it gets flame jabbed or somehting.

Oh, I know. I was just amused that there are three two-drop double-strikers who happen to be Human Soldiers. Swapping a generic mana for a red mana is either +0/+1 or Trample+Vigilance - who knew?

So, I went and tested the game-busting Lin Sivvi errated to humans and...it's solid but not broken at all? In fact, it has been surprisingly fair and quite fun.

So yeah, it's going in my cube. Fun card, hope to build around it more :)

That's awesome! I'm glad to be wrong here. Do you have any other errata'd cards in your cube? I'd do something similar, but I'm worried that I'd either want to have a bunch of "fixed" cards (which is another dream cube of mine), or I'd want to create an entirely new card so that people don't just assume she's Same Old Lin Sivvi.

To that first point, does anyone know of any custom "adjusted" cubes featuring cards that for one reason or another are just a hair shy of being awesome?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
That's awesome! I'm glad to be wrong here. Do you have any other errata'd cards in your cube? I'd do something similar, but I'm worried that I'd either want to have a bunch of "fixed" cards (which is another dream cube of mine), or I'd want to create an entirely new card so that people don't just assume she's Same Old Lin Sivvi.

To that first point, does anyone know of any custom "adjusted" cubes featuring cards that for one reason or another are just a hair shy of being awesome?

fetchimage

Okay so I don't really have a separate list for "This is like an existing card but with 1-2 changes" and "this is whole cloth an idea from my brain" but a lot of what I make is kept pretty close what WotC would do now, or what they might have done .

Here's Thraben Inspector edited to play better with prowess:
17XHcjI.jpg

And on the other hand, here's a card that looks like it could have been in Kaladesh but is a bit unintuitive (An issue for retail limited but mostly fine for cube draft)
St0v3DT.jpg

What can you tell me about Stuffy Doll? Magic has changed so much since it came out I can't evaluate it!

Also, the TSP picture is the best picture. What the hell is this new thing.

What can you tell me about Stuffy Doll? Magic has changed so much since it came out I can't evaluate it!

Also, the TSP picture is the best picture. What the hell is this new thing.

This new picture from M13 came out in 2012 right after Innistrad block and was designed to look like something from that plane. That’s why it has that horror movie look.