Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

I think field of the dead is BROKEN. It has a very small opportunity cost and an insane payoff. It goes in any slow deck with good mana and essentially lets them totally invalidate most other late game grind options by giving you a lot of free tempo and resources. I think it scales to the power level of the format somewhat insofaras more fixing and especially fetch lands make the card much stronger but this card wasn’t banned from Standard, Historic, Pioneer and Modern just because it interacts well with scapeshift or primeval titan, you just freeroll it in late game decks and get crazy advantages for no real cost. It also has really polarizing play patterns where in slow mirrors the player with field is an overwhelming favorite and being a land, it’s often quite hard to interact with, especially in lower power formats that aren’t running mana screw lands.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Field generally plays better than it looks. That said, it's much weaker in a Limited format where (unless you have a very very high density of flexible fixing) you're going to have a lot of basics with the same name

Need a gut check on this card. I love it...it can do all kinds of crazy stuff in my cube, and is very skill testing and interesting. In an environment that is optimized to take advantage of discard is it too good? Or does the “additional cost“ criteria and the restriction of targeting X creatures/players make it reasonable?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I have no reference frame for this card. It's always card disadvantage, since you need discard at least 1 card to do something, and my gut feeling would be that you're too often discarding cards that are more valuable than the stuff you're killing, because the higher X gets, the more unlikely it is that you've got good targets for the full X, and the more likely it is you are throwing away relevant cards. That said, it's always one mana, so if you've got synergy in your environment, like Arrogant Wurm or Roar of the Wurm for example, suddenly you are incentivized to discard stuff, and the evaluation completely changes. Very hard to predict how often that is going to be relevant, and how often this is going to be stranded in your hand.

It does enable hellbent (if that was ever a thing) and just asks for life from the loam. Can also be pretty insane with picking up lands late game for the finishing blow (out). Idk it is definitely an interesting car but super dangerous (for either player). It can certainly shine in the right (insane) environment.

Also: It. Hits. Players.

I have no reference frame for this card. It's always card disadvantage, since you need discard at least 1 card to do something, and my gut feeling would be that you're too often discarding cards that are more valuable than the stuff you're killing, because the higher X gets, the more unlikely it is that you've got good targets for the full X, and the more likely it is you are throwing away relevant cards. That said, it's always one mana, so if you've got synergy in your environment, like Arrogant Wurm or Roar of the Wurm for example, suddenly you are incentivized to discard stuff, and the evaluation completely changes. Very hard to predict how often that is going to be relevant, and how often this is going to be stranded in your hand.

I'm leaning toward it being busted. The main reason being it is a one mana instant, it allows you to nuke the board and follow it up with a wheel of fortune, memory jar, or echo of eons.

There's a lot of unique sequences like discard your hand to wipe the board, binning your world shaper that is in play getting back all of the lands you discarded.

It's crazy with Rielle, the Everwise.

Glint-Horn Buccaneer and Archfiend of Ifnir stack onto the effect by going harder to the dome or killing more creatures more easily.

Discard several cards to fuel a follow up Treasure Cruise or flashbacked Deep Analysis.

I hope it's not too good, because the possibilities are enticing!

Last edited:
Firestorm is a strong card, but it's also fairly demanding. As a design, it's fun, challenging and very skill-testing.

1) You need to discard a rather large number of cards to work. For example, to destroy two small creatures you need to play it and then discard two other cards, so it's mana disadvantage. In order to destroy a 3/3 or 3 creatures you lose a total of 4 cards. That's a very high cost! "Discard four cards, destroy three target creatures" isn't as broken as it looks!

2) You need to choose different targets, you can't discard 4 cards and target your opponent 4 times. Targetting yourself with it is not ouot of the question but if your opponent has a 4/4, you are going to have a hard time.

3) Firestorm is best when paired with Life from the Loam, Land Tax or in Pox-like decks.

4) While it's good with Wheel of Fortune, you are still discarding cards you could have used instead. It's also good with Rielle but, again, you could have used the spells in your hand. You also have to remember this is Limited and you don't have infinite recursion or a huge deck to run through. Reallistically speaking, if you have paid 5 mana for Memory Jar, saving a bit on your Wrath isn't game-breaking.

I would recommend to give it a try. It has been great fun in my cube and quite challenging to use. It enables some fun archetypes like Boros Land Tax control, Rakdos Pox and Gruul Control.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Seems like a solid body that provides a unique addition to a spells archetype?

In my experience, it has an atrocious failure rate. If you draw lands or creatures for two turns or it gets killed then it's pretty terrible. On the other hand, you can get lucky, hit a cheap kill spell and get a recurring, bigger flying Nektrataal which is hard to beat.

I would look into other cards instead.

4 nay to 1 yea is clear enough a hot take from the masses for me to move on lol. Tuxedo Mask can rest easy knowing that he did in fact do something.