Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Runaway Steam-Kin
is this actually pretty good as a red Goyf? or too slow to grow in a fair deck?
It's too slow to grow in a fair deck and it doesn't grow big enough.

Goyf isn't spectacular in cube and one could argue it's no longer a star in the era of FIRE designs. But what makes it good is that it can easily become a 4/5 and wall an incoming horde. Runaway Steam-Kin can't gain that toughness and requires three spells to reach that point which is too many in anything that isn't monored.

They are different? One looks at graveyard. Other at spells cast since it is in play? For example, what is the power at topdeck? The red ine sucks at topdeck, but could be the stronger 2 drop
"Goyf" in this context just means two drop that becomes Huge.

is this actually pretty good as a red Goyf? or too slow to grow in a fair deck?
I think it depends on the build of your red section. I think Runaway Steam-Kin is a fine card on its own but you really need some way to abuse its mana creation ability for it to be great, most likely with a card advantage engine such as Experimental Frenzy or Laelia, the Blade Reforged. I think if you're just playing it as a red Managorger Hydra it's nowhere near where you want it to be.

Goyf isn't spectacular in cube and one could argue it's no longer a star in the era of FIRE designs.
This is false. Tarmogoyf is good in environments where one can fill the graveyard quickly with a combination of Fetchlands and cheap card filtering like Abundant Harvest, Curator of Mysteries Unbridled Growth, Ponder, Faithless Looting, and so on. If most decks are playing these sorts of cards, Goyf's value is just as high as it is in constructed Magic. Blacksmithy's Cube is definitely close to this description.

The reason why Goyf tends to be middling in most environments is because they don't have the emphasis on cheap card filtration that Goyf needs to be good. If people aren't filling their graveyards quickly, Goyf just doesn't do what it needs to do in order to be good. But when players are rapidly cycling through their decks, Goyf's value becomes insane.

They are different? One looks at graveyard. Other at spells cast since it is in play? For example, what is the power at topdeck? The red ine sucks at topdeck, but could be the stronger 2 drop
i mean goyf in the sense that it’s a big body for 2 mana haha

you’re right that it’s a much worse topdeck

fauna shaman
i kinda forgot about this card but…. i really like playing with her in Historic Shamans!
i already am on her old Standard partner Vengevine and new Historic partner Seasoned Pyromancer, maybe i should give her another shot?

Is this card good? Does it need any particualr synergies to be great or is it enough to have fetchlands and a few "lands matter" cards, like Crucible of Worlds?

Reactions: dbs

Is this card good? Does it need any particualr synergies to be great or is it enough to have fetchlands and a few "lands matter" cards, like Crucible of Worlds?
it’s OK. if you look at where it’s played in constructed, you have EDH, where it’s in basically any red deck just for the draw, and Legacy, where it’s in Lands as a backup for Marit Lage. I think it could be a nice, if somewhat narrow, pickup for a “big red” (plus whatever colors) archetype in a fetchland environment, but it is a 3 mana do-nothing enchantment which makes it a hard sell for drafters that aren’t on synergy/control builds.

A quick look at your list makes me think it's not gonna cut it, Erik. The floor of "does absolutely nothing" is too low and the average case seems like it's just ok. Looks fun in a lower powered GR lands deck or something, but probably not for you.

Maybe another looting effect if you're going for draw in red? I noticed a lack of Thrill of Possibility. More of a filter than a draw spell, but instant speed is great.

@Erik Twice
I ran it and was disappointed every time. So very often do you play a land and exile a land :(

Maybe at 2 mana. I also dislike how it felt to play with and against it. Not super interesting play patterns in my opinion. If the card could get tucked away for future use, it would be cool.

@Erik Twice
I ran it and was disappointed every time. So very often do you play a land and exile a land :(

Maybe at 2 mana. I also dislike how it felt to play with and against it. Not super interesting play patterns in my opinion. If the card could get tucked away for future use, it would be cool.
Of, I forgot you could just hit lands a couple times and see it do nothing. Yeah, I should cut it.

So, any suggestions for random, interesting red cards that give card advantage?