Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

If you're a cube designer and not named @Brad it is helpful to learn appreciate each color for what it can do for your format. I've had a hard time with white for a while and it's probably still my least liked color, but I've really started to appreciate it through cubing and I think I've managed to respect each color's needs equally when making design decisions.

It’s funny because about five years ago people talked about green’s lack of good cards. “We only have Tarmogoyf”

The least played color combination was Simic.

Things don’t necessarily change fast in Magic. But they do change.

Black consistently disappoints me as a color. Want reanimation spells to sit at 3 mana? Hope you like exclusively playing Necromancy. Want some cheap cantrips? Strategic Planning is the best we can offer you. We're a secondary flash color, want some instant-speed beaters? Don't worry bud, there's like, three cards to choose from. Also half of our removal spells suffer from a legacy of not being able to hit black creatures, much less planeswalkers, so I hope that doesn't bother you too much. Here, take this hot-off-the-presses 4 mana tutor as an apology.

Yeah reanimation doesn’t get love very often these last few decades. Black is pretty good at removal though. Especially in the 2 mana variant. The non-black design was left behind 10 years ago although the card retains a downside so it never becomes a 2 mana removal for any target.

I don't want vampiric tutors or night's whispers, I want mental notes, considers, careful studies, phyrexian preordains. Black can draw literally any card from their deck, but a sleight of hand is too much to ask for. I'll pay life if I have to.

Why do you need/want that? Blue is literally right there. UB decks. And there are multiple options for black draw spells at one mana if you insist that's the only way you want black draw to be. Village Rites, for instance, draws twice as many cards as any of the blue options you list, is an instant, and only requires a measly sacrifice.

Village Rites, for instance, draws twice as many cards as any of the blue options you list, is an instant, and only requires a measly sacrifice.

You should consider a career in marketing!

But in all honesty: Yes, I think all colors should get decent card draw, that's why I cube Mentor of the Meek. But blue's unconditional card draw and it's huge amount of cantrips really define the color's identity. I don't want every color to get Sleight of Hands and Ponders. Just like I don't want every color to get Lightning Bolt or Llanowar Elves. It's essential to magic and it's color pie system that each one has their jewlery.

Why do you need/want that?
Because I like the gameplay effect it provides and therefore want it to be more prevalent across the different colors, just like how I wouldn't want every color to have to splash red or black to have ways to deal with creatures.